- Text Size +
He closed the door slowly and followed Kevin into the main room, gesturing for his eldest friend to take a seat before he backed up and stood before them all, his blue eyes darting to look at each man before he licked his lips. "I'm not sure how to say this, and I didn't want to have to say this because this group has been through enough. I don't want to be a burden on any of you."
"Not possible Nicky." Howie replied, shaking his head. "You never have been and never will be." The blonde nodded and took it a deep breath, letting it out slowly as his eyes fell to the floor. "Okay, here goes," He breathed. "Guys I-I have cancer."

Nick closed his eyes and waited for anyone to respond, but none of them said a word. When he finally opened his eyes again, he saw they were all in a state of shock. Brian and Kevin were staring out of the window, Howie was studying the carpet and A.J. was staring at the wall behind him.

Brian was the first to speak up as he slowly turned his head and looked Nick straight in the eyes. "Where?" His words were flat and the look on his face distant. Nick was shocked by the coldness he felt coming from his best friend. He took a deep breath. "Above my left lung." Brian nodded and turned his head, once again staring out the window. Nick knew the message he had told them was shocking, but he didn't expect this. He expected hugs, words of encouragement, not standing there by himself, feeling alone while they were in the same room with him.

Kevin finally moved, and walked up to him, but he still avoided looking in the eyes of his friend. "Give it to me." He softly said.
Nick didn't quite understand what he was talking about, so he looked at Kevin with a puzzled expression on his face, but Kevin didn't see it, because he was looking at the wall behind Nick. Out of nowhere, he suddenly exploded. "Damn you, Nick. Give me the damn cigarettes."

Nick knew he had to give it up eventually, so he might as well do it now. Maybe this habit of his had caused the shit he was in right now. He simply stated "Drawer." and pointed to the coffee table. Kevin immediately walked over to it, took out the four packages of cigarettes, then asked "Is that it?" Nick shook his head, emptied his pockets and threw two more on the table.

Kevin wasn't satisfied though. "Alex, you too."
For once, Alex didn't argue and also threw his cigs on the couch.
"You WILL throw away anything you have in your car, at home, and anywhere else, right?" Kevin firmly said, it wasn't even a question but he made a statement. A.J. just nodded, not even bugged by the tone of Kevin's voice. Kevin took the packages in his hands, then headed for the bathroom. He threw all the cigarettes in the toilet, flushed it, and threw all the empty boxes in the trash can next to it.

After that, he leaned against the wall, staring in the mirror, seeing nothing but his father staring back at him. "Not again" he mumbled. He felt like he had been hit with a hammer. His friend had cancer, and all he could think of was how to get away from this place..
Flipping on the water, he allowed the cool liquid to run through his hands before he bent down, splashing some onto his face and taking in a shaky breath. He couldn't go down this road again. He wasn't strong enough.
"Why, huh? What have we done to you?! First you take my father, then you almost take my cousin, now you want my baby brother!? WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!" Kevin cried, balling up his fists as he squeezed his eyes shut, willing himself to stay strong. "Damn you." Came the whisper as he sank down onto the floor, his resolve breaking as he shuddered and began to cry for everything that was at stake.