- Text Size +
Thanks everyone for reviewing!!

__________________

"Watch out.."
Kevin whispered to himself as he saw Nick driving about a hundred feet in front of him, going at least eighty miles an hour, and by the looks of it, he wasn't paying any attention to the road before him. The car was careening from the left to the right side of the road and back as if he was drunk and at one point he almost hit a road sign, but the car swerved back on to the road to avoid hitting it just in time.

“Jezus Nick..Slow down..” Kevin tried to keep up with him, but when he almost hit a car when he hadn't noticed it was slowing down, Kevin decided this was getting too dangerous. As he hit the brakes, he noticed his friend’s vehicle was starting to slow down, eventually pulling over. Only now did Kevin have a look at the surroundings, noticing that Nick drove to the place he felt truly at home.. The beach..

Nick was still holding the wheel with all his strength, staring at the ocean, feeling the need to get out of his vehicle and feel the sand between his toes, but first he had to find the courage. He swung the door open and slowly got out, feeling the soft salty breeze and hearing the sea-gulls that were probably bickering over some food. He took off his shoes and socks and threw them on his seat before he slammed the door and locked it. Now he was finally home..

He walked up to the shoreline and sat down in the sand, staring at the horizon, feeling betrayed by his best friend. He thought he had somehow prepared for anything to happen, but not this. Brian had accused him of being shallow, being nothing more than vain. But that wasn’t why he hadn’t yet started the fight against cancer. Dr. Samson had immediately informed him about the consequences of the chemotherapy and becoming infertile was one of them.

There was a slight chance that he could have kids of his own, but that was almost non-existent. At first Nick didn’t think that was so bad, but when the news had sunk in, it felt like his future got shattered into a million pieces. He wasn’t in a relationship right now, but he had always known he’d want to be a father someday. And seeing how Brian was with Baylee, he thought he was the one person that would truly understand his reasons for not immediately seeking treatment, but he had just judged him without a doubt. Nick could feel the tears well up in his eyes, and as he closed them the tears fell in the sand, leaving two little dark dots as the sand absorbed them.

He felt how someone sat down next to him, but he didn’t feel the need to see who it was, he already knew. Whenever there was a crisis, he was there, so Nick knew it was Kevin who was now sitting next to him. He felt a hand being placed on his shoulder, squeezing it gently. That was enough for him to break down and cry like he had never cried before. All of the pain he had kept inside for two months came out with loud cries filled with despair and different fears. Kevin gently pulled his little brother into a hug, trying to soothe him by rubbing his back and whispering that they’d win this fight together, while he tried to hold back his own tears, for he was almost as scared as Nick that they wouldn’t.

As Nick let go of Kevin after a while, he softly whispered. “Why, Kev? Why did Brian say those things? I’m not shallow, right?” He looked at his brother, he needed someone who would tell him that he wasn’t shallow, that he had every reason to be scared. Kevin let out a deep sigh while he was trying to think of the right words to say. “No, you’re not, Nick. We know you’re not. Hell, Brian knows that too.” Kevin paused for a second. “He just..”

The older man trailed off again, his emerald gaze sweeping over the orange horizon, lingering on the dying sun for a moment before he let out another sigh.
"He's scared baby." Nick let a small laugh escape him and he leaned into Kevin, letting his eyes slip shut.
"And I'm not?" The younger man mumbled. "I'm scared shitless Kev. I," He paused as another lump worked its way into his throat, making it difficult for him to speak. "I don't want to die." The statement was no more that a whisper, the sound of the ocean nearly drowning it out but Kevin heard it loud and clear, his heart breaking as he desperately tried to force back his tears. Now was not the time to lose it. Nick needed him to be strong. Not trusting his voice, he simply pulled the younger man even closer, resting his chin on top of Nick's head.

"We're not going to lose you." Kevin murmured after a moment of silence. "I lost my father, I almost lost Brian," The eldest's voice wavered for a second and he took in a shaky breath. "I will NOT lose you Nick. We're going to beat this. I don't care how much it costs, where we have to go or how long it takes, we're going to beat this."
"Kev, the doctor said the chemo...I won't be able to sing or tour. We'll have to cancel everything. What about the group?" Kevin pulled away from his youngest bandmate, resting his hands on his shoulder and giving him a gentle shake.
"None of that matters baby. You come before the group. We all come before the group."

"But Kev-"
"You come before the group." Kevin repeated sternly, locking his gaze with saddened grey-blue eyes before him. "Understand me?"
"Yeah." Kevin pulled Nick into another large hug, ruffling his hair playfully before letting go. Sighing for a second, he met the younger man's gaze again, a sad smile washing over his features. "We gotta go talk to Brian, don't we?" Nick sighed, rolling his eyes slightly.

"We, don't. No." Kevin rose to his feet, extending a hand down and pulling Nick up with a small grunt. "You need to talk to him Nicky, tell him how you feel."
"That didn't work so well last time." Nick frowned, following Kevin back to the cars. A matching frown appeared on Kevin's face as he nodded.
"Look, Brian was an ass. He knows that by now, I'm sure. You know he didn't mean anything he said."
"I know," The blonde muttered. "But it still hurt."
"Then tell him that baby." Kevin stated simply, unlocking his car and tugging the door open. "Now isn't the time to fall apart. Not after all the other shit we've been through and I'll be damned if this breaks us."
"You sure you can't just talk to Brian?"
"Positive. I'll meet you back at the house."
The older man nodded, leaning on his car for a moment.

"And Nick?"
"Huh?"
"Drive safely, okay? None of that stunt driving shit you pulled on the way here. Pay attention to what you're doing." Nick struggled not to roll his eyes. Leave it to Kevin to lecture him about auto saftey at a time like this.
"I will." He watched Kevin climb into his car and drive off before settling into his own, leaning back in the driver's seat with a large sigh. This whole ordeal was turning into one hellish, never ending nightmare. Throwing the keys into the ignition, he jerked them quickly, allowing the car to roar to life. He hated confronting Brian. he never knew what to say. And this time, he was more angry than he was upset but the last thing he wanted to do was get into another argument. Sighing again, he shoved the car into reverse, "Here goes nothing."

____________________

*peeks around corner*
maybe, just maybe, you can have a look at my story, "Memories"? Pretty please..
*blushes and runs out of Prevailing Fate again*