- Text Size +
“Listen Rok, he should be here any minute. Choose your words carefully and try to actually THINK before you blurt something out. That attitude you had earlier..”
Brian sat on the couch, his head hanging down, studying his hands so he could avoid Kevin’s stare. “I know, cuz. I know.”
“No, you don’t know. You didn’t see how upset he was over everything you said. You’re supposed to be his best friend and act supportive. Instead you castigated him.. Just leave that up to the press.” Kevin rolled his eyes, but immediately went onto a serious note again. “DON’T screw this up, because I swear, if you do - ”
“That’s enough, Kev. Nick just pulled up the driveway.” A.J. let go of the curtain so Nick wouldn’t notice that he had been standing there, waiting for him to arrive.

Nick’s head rested on his hands, that were resting on the steering wheel. How could he go in right now? He knew Kevin was right, he himself had to be the one who needed to talk to Brian, but how was he supposed to start the conversation. It wasn’t as if he could just walk in smiling, going like “Owh my God, I’m back again..”. So what was he supposed to say?
Brian’s outburst earlier that day had taught Nick one lesson. No matter how hard you prepared for conversations as tough as these, it was always possible that something you least expected might happen, causing you to feel lost and alone.

Stepping from the car after another moment, Nick kicked the car door shut, shoving his hands into his pockets as he walked up the dirt path and to the front door. His hand fell on the door for a second before he took a step back. He couldn't talk to Brian right now. Letting out a large sigh, he instead made his way around the back of the house, taking a seat on one of the chairs positioned before his pool. Nick closed his eyes briefly, bringing a hand up to massage his temple. God, his head was killing him. He opened his eyes, watching the last amount of the sun bounce of the shimmering pool, the blue radiating against the firery red sky.

"You know," He whispered, looking up at the cloudless sky. "I just don't understand what we've done to deserve all the shit you send us." Nick shook his head, squeezing his hands into fists as he fought to remain calm. "What have we done?! What have I done?! HUH?! IT'S NOT FAIR!" The youth was on his feet in a second, seizing the first thing he could, a glass lantern set on the table beside him, and throwing it with all his might across the pool. A sob ripped it's way out of Nick as he watched it shatter, "It's not fair." He fell into the chair, his head buried in his hands as he cried.

"No," A voice whispered, pulling Nick into a hug. "It's not." The blonde jumped in alarm, immediately finding himself engulfed in Brian's arms. "I'm so sorry Frack! I'm so sorry. I was so out of line with everything I said. I don't know what I was thinking." Nick slowly pulled away, brushing the tears off his face as he sniffled.
"Bri-"
"Wait, I have to say all this." Brian met the gaze of his friend, a sad smile appearing on his face. "Nick, when you told us," The kentuckian trailed off with a long sigh, "All I could think about was everything we've been through. And I don't mean all the bad. I mean, all I could picture were the good time. Our first recording deal, first record, tours, pranks...you know?"
"Yeah."

"And all I could think was that it couldn't end here. This can't be it for us."
"The group...I know. I told Kev-"
"I'm not talking about the group Frack." The older man sighed with exasperation. "I'm talking about US. You and me. And the rest of the fellas. Kevin, Howie, AJ, you and me. Not us the Backstreet Boys, but us, 5 guys who are brothers until the end. And this can't be our end. I won't let it."

"I can only fight this so much Brian." Nick mumbled, raking a hand through his hair.
"True," Brian nodded. "But when you can't fight anymore, I'll be there to fight for you. And one of us there for me, and so on. We won't let you go Nick. You understand me?" Brian pulled Nick back into a hug, "I'm sorry for everything I said. All of it. You know that right?"
"Of course." Nick sighed. "I knew it even while you were saying it."
"I just," The southener trailed off for a moment. "I was just so angry and I don't even know what I was angry about! I just exploded. I'm an idiot."
"Yeah," Came the agreement as Nick smiled softly. "But I forgive you."
"Thanks...I think." Brian laughed, giving the younger man a sqeeze. They were both silent for a moment before Brian cleared his throat. "Um, so-"

"You want to know all the details about everything?"
"You know me too well Nicky."
"Alright." Nick slowly got to his feet. "Let's head inside then. I might as tell you all at once." Brian nodded in agreement, getting up as well. "I don't know about all this Frick." He muttered, walking back to the house with Brian.
"Let's see what our options are first Nicky." The older man slung an arm around his younger friend. "Just remember, we're all in this together."
"I know." The younger man tugged the sliding glass door open slowly. "I know."