- Text Size +
The ringing sound of the phone wakes me from my sleep.

Without raising my head from the pillow, I reach for the phone, press talk, and bring it to my ear.

Before I have a chance to say anything, I hear a voice on the line.

“Anna?”

My eyes widen and I hang up the phone without even thinking.

It was my mom.

I have been dreading this call since I saw the magazine cover yesterday.

I lay my head back down onto the pillow, hoping she wouldn’t call back, but this is my mother we are talking about. She always calls back.

Low and behold, ten seconds later the phone rings again. For a few moments, I think about not picking it up, but then I hear Sarah yelling from the other room.

“Answer the damn phone!”

Oh well. I’ll have to deal with it later if not now.

I take a deep breath, then pick up the phone.
“Hello?”

“Anna, sweetie, why did you hang up the phone?”

“Oh sorry that must have been Sarah.” I lie.

“I see. Well, I was just calling to see how you are.”

“You wanted to see how I am at six o’clock in the morning?”

“Uh, yeah.” She answers.

“Come on mom. We both know why you called.”

“Ok fine. I was just a little shocked that you didn’t tell me. Diane came over last night with the magazine, but I didn’t want to call you because it was so late.”

“So you decided to call me really early in the morning?”

“Well I’m sorry! I just….I don’t know what to say or think. How did this happen?”

“He told me he was coming to town, so naturally I thought I wouldn’t see him. He surprised me in class one day and took me to lunch. Ever since then we have been spending a lot of time together.”

“Wow.” She says, still surprised.

“Mom, he told me he loves me.”

“Oh my God! Do you…”

“Yeah, I love him too. He’s different now Mom. Well, some things are different. Um, does dad know?”

“Unfortunately, yes. He has been in a pretty bad mood since he found out.”

“Shit.”

“Anna!”

“Ugh sorrrry. Maybe Nick and I should try to come over to talk to him tonight.”

“Well I guess that would be ok.”

“Alright, so I’ll see you tonight then.”

“Ok sweetie, see you later.”

As I hang up the phone, I realize what I just did. Nick and my dad in the same room.

This isn’t going to be pretty.