- Text Size +
“Mornin’.” I say to Sarah with a yawn as I walk into the kitchen.

“Oh look, little miss popular is up.” She says smiling at me.

“What are you talking about?” I say as I pour coffee into my mug.

“People have been calling for you all morning. People magazine called for an interview and so did MTV.”

“No way.”

“Yeah I didn’t think you’d do them so I said no for you, but Leighanne, Tessa, and your mother also called.

“Oh christ.”

“Yep, sorry it’s true. She called three times this morning already, so you better call her soon.”

“Ugh, I will.”

“So how are you this morning?” She asks with a concerned look on her face.

“Ya know, I’m actually doing good.”

“Well good! You didn’t go out after I left last night did you?”

“Actually, I did.”

“By yourself?”

“Uh, no…”

“Well with who for god’s sake!?” She asks excitedly.

“With AJ.”

“Oh my god Anna!”

“It wasn’t a date! We just went to a movie. He came over after you left and wanted to get me out of the house. I thought it was sweet, but enough of what I did, what did you do?”, and just as I say this, Scott walks out of her room in only his underwear. He sees us and hurriedly runs back into the bedroom while we fall onto the floor laughing.

After we finish our giggling fit and I eat some breakfast, I pick up the phone to call my mom, and on the first ring, as always, she answers.

“Hello?”

“Hi Mom.”

“Oh hi honey. How are you? Are you ok?”

“Yes mom, I’m fine.”

“Good. So what happened? Tell me everything?” She says.

“Well to make a long story short we are just in different places and wanting to do different things. He didn’t want to get married, he just wanted to do what he wanted to do.”

“Do you still love him?”

“Of course. It’s going to take time for me to get over him, but it’s already getting better and it’s only been two days. I don’t want to dwell on it. I think the best thing to do now is to look for someone who wants the same things, is at that place in their life, not someone like Nick who doesn’t want to move out of the partying phase.”

“Well that’s good honey. So what did you say to him?”

“Mom, do I have to go through every detail? I kinda don’t want to talk about it.” God the woman is wearing me out already. I know that she’ll just keep asking questions.

“Fine. I knew that boy was bad news. As soon as you told me he was going to Europe I knew it wouldn’t last, and what happened between him and your father, that was just so horrible, and…..”

She is going to talk forever. I walk into the living room where Sarah and Scott are sitting on the couch and when I approach them, I tap her on the shoulder.

“What?” She asks.

I point to the phone and make a desperate face. She knows what it means. Sarah turns her whole body towards me and then yells, “Anna get off the phone, It’s an emergency!”

“Oh, I guess she needs the phone. I’ll call you back later sweetie, feel better!”

“Bye.” And with that I hang up the phone.

“Thank you so much.” I say as we both laugh again. We have used this technique many times with both our mothers.

A few seconds later the phone starts to ring again.

“Hello?” I say still chuckling.

“Don’t hang up the phone.”

I stop laughing immediately. It’s Nick.

“Who is it?” Sarah mouths to me. I just stare at her; all I can hear is his breathing on the other end.

“Is that Nick? Oh my God It is! Give me that phone; I’ll give him a piece of my mind…”

“No stop it. I’ll deal with it.”

I quickly walk into my room and shut the door.

“Anna, we need to talk.” he says.

“There isn’t anything to talk about.”

“Please don’t do this. I still love you and I know you still love me. I just don’t think breaking up is the right thing.”

“It’s the right thing for me Nick. I’ve already told you what I think. If we stay together we will both be unhappy and neither of us want that. It’s done.”

“You’re killing me here, I don’t know what to do without you.”

I take a deep breath. I hate doing this to him, and to myself.

“Move on. I’m trying to and you should too. It’s the best thing. We can still be friends. I know probably not now. It could me months or even years, but us going out and breaking up before didn’t stop our friendship; I just can’t get hurt by you anymore. Yeah it’s gonna be hard but we’ll both find other people.”

He doesn’t answer for a few seconds but then he I hear him take a breath like the one I had taken a minute before and answer, “Ok.”

Ok? Did my little speech really convince him? I thought I was going to put up with a lot more than that.

“Ok, well I have to go so I guess I’ll talk to you later.”

“Alright, bye.” He says sadly.

“Bye.”

I hang up the phone feeling relieved and sad all at the same time. I think he actually got the fact that he’s going to have to move on, so now I feel like I can. I thought he would be calling and begging for a while and we got closure in two days; it’s surprising yet I’m glad it was fast. I open the door to see Sarah at my door holding the other phone to her ear with her hand over the receiver.

“Well I guess you don’t need to ask me what happened do you?” I say shaking my head and smiling at her.

“Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.”

“Yeah I figured.”

“You handled it well. Perfectly even. I think he is gonna be ok too. I mean, it won’t take him too long to find someone else, look at his lifestyle for god’s sake!”

“He’ll be fine. He’s just dramatic; he always has been. And you’re right, I’m sure he’ll find someone soon. Now the question is, how am I gonna find someone.” I say smiling at her.

“You will. I wouldn’t worry.”