- Text Size +
Nick sat for a few minutes just staring at the piece of paper he was clutching tightly in his hands. How can she be gone? he asked himself over and over. Jumping up, Nick folded the letter and slid it into his back pocket. “What the hell am I doing just sitting here? I have to stop her.”

Grabbing the keys to David’s old Chevy, he hurried outside as quickly as possible. He looked up at the sky and saw that it had darkened and an ominous cloud was moving in; it seemed to mirror his feelings. Nick stuck the key into the ignition, but as he turned it nothing happened. “Oh, come on…this is not happening…” Turning the key again, the engine didn’t so much as turn over.

“Shit!” Nick yelled as he emerged from the truck as the rain began to fall. “Damn it…” he said as he began to run in the direction of Elisabeth’s house. I have got to get to her.

By the time Nick reached the front door of the Butler residence the light rain had turned into a steady downpour and he was completely soaked. Wasting no time, he began to pound on the door.

“Nick?” Robert Butler was surprised to see David Gaines’ grandson on his front steps in the pouring rain. “What are you doing here, son?”

“Lizzie…I need…to…see her…” he panted and tried to catch his breath. “Please…it’s…important…”

“I’m sorry, Nick. She’s not here; she left a little while ago. Is there something I can help you with?”

“No…you don’t understand,” he said as tears streamed down his cheeks, mixing with the unforgiving rain. “I love her!”

Robert’s face filled with shock as Nick continued to beg for information. He looked at Nick and he was suddenly able to see the big picture. “Hang on,” he told Nick and grabbed a rain jacket and his set of keys.

“Where are you going?” Abigail appeared behind him.

“Nick and I are gonna see if we can’t catch Lizzie,” he replied and placed a quick kiss on his wife’s cheek.

***

Elisabeth arrived at the airport and checked her luggage then found a seat as she waited for her flight to board. She would be taking a flight to Charlotte and then a connecting flight would take her to Chicago. Running a hand through her hair, she looked out the window and saw the rain had begun to fall. At least now I don’t have to cry, she thought miserably.

Why did this have to be so hard? How could she have become so attached to Nick in such a short amount of time? None of it made any sense to Elisabeth and she took a deep breath to keep from crying. All she needed was to be stared at because she was sobbing.

He’ll be here, she thought to herself suddenly. And when he gets here he will beg me to stay…and I will… she felt herself smile. She was weak and she knew that once she saw him that’s all it would take.

Turning to look toward the entrance of the airport, she waited anxiously. Closing her eyes briefly, she smiled as she imagined feeling his lips on hers, pleading for her to stay with him forever. Just thinking of staying with him forever made her heart swell.

“Going home to the love of your life?” a soft voice startled Elisabeth out of her wishes.

“Oh, no,” she replied somewhat forlornly. “Actually, I’m hoping he will stop me from leaving.” Why am I telling a complete stranger this? Looking at the small woman to her left, she smiled. She had to be the sweetest looking woman Elisabeth had ever seen.

“Well, then, I’m sure you will get that wish,” the elderly woman smiled gently and patted Elisabeth’s hand softly.

“I hope so,” she replied as she felt the familiar sting in her eyes. He will be here…

“What makes you think he wouldn’t come for you?” the lady asked, once again drawing Elisabeth from her thoughts.

“Well…I dunno,” Elisabeth said quietly. “I actually left him, but I think I made a mistake, and I’m hoping he will be here to tell me that.”

“Well, hon, if it’s meant to be, it will be. Everything happens for a reason…nothing is pure happenstance. I don’t believe in luck.”

“Why?” she questioned.

“Well, when you get to be my age you realize that God has a meaning behind everything that happens. It’s not mere circumstance that I’m sitting here talking to you; I believe that there is a reason behind it. We may not know it now, but it will be evident later.”

Elisabeth only nodded as the woman’s words echoed in her mind. Nothing is pure happenstance… Looking at her watch, she sighed. God, please let him get here, she began to pray silently.

***

Nick rushed into the airport with Robert close behind. When he saw the woman behind the counter, he ran up to her. “What gate is the flight for Charlotte leaving from?”

“Gate 7,” she answered, but quickly added, “You had better hurry if you want to catch it. They’ll be boarding in the next few minutes.”

“Thanks,” Nick called and made a mad dash to find Gate 7. The metal detector sounded as he hurriedly stepped through. “Shit.”

“Please step back through, sir,” the security guard directed. “If you would, please empty your pockets.”

Taking everything out of his pockets, Nick stepped back through and was relieved when it didn’t go off. He didn’t bother to grab his belongings; he was too intent on catching Elisabeth. He was gonna make it…

***

Flight 1809, Wilmington to Charlotte now boarding…

Elisabeth sighed sadly and took one final glance in the direction she had been watching closely. He’s not coming after all. Handing her boarding pass to the flight attendant she bit her lip and tried to force away her tears.

“Have a nice flight,” the woman smiled brightly.

Elisabeth didn’t attempt to return the smile. Stepping out into the rain, she made her way to the small plane. Nothing is pure happenstance.

Kiss the rain
Whenever you need me
Kiss the rain
Whenever I'm gone too long
If your lips feel lonely and thirsty
Kiss the rain
And wait for the dawn
Keep in mind
We're under the same sky
And the night's
As empty for me as for you
If you feel
You can't wait till morning
Kiss the rain


***

Finally finding Gate 7, Nick stopped and looked around. There were no passengers waiting to board the plane, there was no flight attendant waiting to take boarding passes, and worst of all, there was no plane.

“Wh-where is she? We can’t be too late?”

“Oh, hon…you’re who she was waiting for?” a small, elderly woman addressed Nick quietly.

“Excuse me?”

“There was a beautiful young lady here just a little while ago waiting for someone to stop her from making a mistake. She seemed so sad, but she was waiting for you.”

Immediately tears sprung to his eyes. She was waiting for me… “Oh God.”

“The plane took off just a few minutes ago,” the little lady said softly.

Walking over to the window, Nick looked out at the sky. She was gone…he was too late. He tried to control his sobs as he stepped out onto the runway letting the rain, once again, drench him.

Kiss the rain
Whenever you need me
Kiss the rain
Whenever I'm gone too long
If your lips
Feel hungry and tempted
Kiss the rain
And wait for the dawn
Keep in mind
We're under the same sky
And the night's
As empty for me as for you
If you feel you can't wait till morning
Kiss the rain


No longer caring about anything, Nick fell to his knees as sobs wracked his entire body. He had never felt emptier in his whole life; he felt helpless. The only person he had ever loved had come and gone like a rain shower on a summer afternoon. Staring up at the tempestuous sky his anguish was quickly replaced with anger. It surged through his so furiously. “Why would You take her away from me?”

“Nick, come back in, son,” Robert’s voice cut through the silence.

Nick didn’t protest when he felt Robert helping him off the pavement; he let the man guide him into the airport and to a seat.

“I’ll go find a towel or something,” Robert said and walked away.

“Don’t look at me like that,” Nick said hatefully when he felt the old woman staring at him.

“Like what, hon?” she asked quietly.

“Don’t look at me like you pity me.”

Frowning, she slid over so she was seated directly beside him. “I don’t pity you sweetheart. I am relating to you.”

“What?” Nick asked as he turned to stare into her wise brown eyes. Reaching up he wiped away some of the water that was dripping down his face.

“I know how it feels to watch the person you love walk out of your life,” her eyes clouded with sadness. “It’s the hardest thing I ever had to do.”

“It’s not fair,” he said as he started sobbing again. “I’ve waited my whole life for her and now she’s gone again.”

Placing her wrinkled hand on Nick’s rain soaked knee, she shook her head. “No, it’s not fair at all, but sometimes you have to realize that maybe it’s not meant to be. Sometimes you have to kiss the rain and let go.”

Kiss the rain
Whenever you need me
Kiss the rain
Whenever I'm gone too long
If your lips
Feel hungry and tempted
Kiss the rain
And wait for the dawn
Keep in mind
We're under the same sky
And the night's
As empty for me as for you
If you feel you can't wait till morning
Kiss the rain*


Nick looked into her eyes, searching for a way to understand. “But…it’s not that easy to let go. I don’t know how to say goodbye.”

Smiling gently, the woman took his large frame into her arms and soothed him as best she could. “Don’t.”

The End

***
* “Kiss the Rain” by Billie Myers