- Text Size +
Elisabeth sighed to herself and smoothed her hair as best she could before entering the house. She was a wreck, physically and emotionally. For some reason, seeing Nick had completely thrown her off course and the way he acted towards her had not helped at all. After he drove off, Elisabeth just sat alone in the rain. She didn’t realize how long she had been sitting there until an employee from inside came out to check on her. Feeling embarrassed and ashamed, she stood and feebly brushed herself off.

Now, she was standing on the doorstep of her parents’ home not wanting to go inside, but knowing she had to sooner or later. Better sooner than later. Why not just get it over with? she asked herself as she finally willed herself to open the door. Dropping her keys onto the table in the foyer, Elisabeth noticed the house was completely quiet. Walking into the den, she saw a piece of paper on the coffee table.

Elisabeth,

I had to go up to Wilmington for a few things. I should be back before dark, but if I’m not there’s some roast in the fridge. Your father took Jake somewhere to have a little “bonding time” as he likes to call it. I brought the invitations to mail, so that’s one less thing you have to worry about. See you later, hun.

Love,
Mom


As she finished reading the note, Elisabeth caught herself breathing a sigh of relief. She was alone. She wouldn’t have to explain to anyone why she was a mess or act like nothing was wrong. She would have to talk to her mother when she got back from Wilmington, but she would make sure she was in a better state than she was at the moment.

***

Nick stalked into the back room of the hardware store and tossed the food boxes onto the table, startling his grandmother from her newspaper. In all the awkwardness of seeing Elisabeth again, he had forgotten completely that he had gone to pick up his lunch. Not wanting to chance running into her again, Nick stopped by KFC instead.

“What’s the matter, Nick?” Winnie questioned quickly picking up on his bad mood.

“Nothing,” he answered flatly as he opened up his lunch. “Hope you don’t mind chicken.”

“Nickolas Carter! You tell me what happened this instant,” Winnie demanded and pushed her food away. “You were not in a bad mood before you left, now explain.”

Looking up, Nick took a bite of his mashed potatoes and ignored Winnie. “You need to eat before it gets cold.”

“No, I will not eat until you tell me what is going on. And don’t bother lying to me because I know you well enough to know when you are lying through your teeth.”

“Gram, everything is fine, okay? Let’s just eat so I can get back to this paperwork.”

“Sweetheart, please tell me what happened. You know you-”

Before she could finish her sentence, Nick had lost his temper. “Damn it, I said nothing was wrong. Now can we please drop it?”

Stunned, Winnie blinked and then promptly stood up. “Fine,” she mumbled and tossed her unopened food container into the trashcan by the door.

Suddenly overcome with guilt, Nick sprinted after his grandmother. He had never raised his voice to her before, and he knew he shouldn’t have now. She was only trying to look out for him, and he shouldn’t have gotten so upset. “Gram, I’m sorry. Please, don’t leave without eating. You can have my food.”

Turning to look at her grandson, Winnie’s expression turned somber. “Nickolas, I know that you have a private life, but I’m your grandmother. I am only trying to show you that I care about what happens to you. I’m sorry if that bothers you, and I’ll try not to let it happen again. Gabe should be here soon, so I’m going to go finish up my errands.”

“Wait, Gram, please…” Nick didn’t know what to do. Winnie was stubbornly grabbing her purse and heading for the exit. “I’m sorry Gram.” She wasn’t slowing down her pace in the least bit, and now she was ignoring him. Taking a deep breath, Nick suppressed the bitter tears just when she was almost out of the shop. “She’s getting married.”

***

Elisabeth sat at the kitchen table sipping on a cup of tea when she heard the front door open and her mother’s laughter filled the air. Drawing patterns on the table, Elisabeth rolled her eyes as her mother continued on with mindless gossip about neighbors and old friends.

“Yes, you’re right, sweetie. We need to get together soon,” Abigail was babbling when she walked into the kitchen. Smiling at her daughter, she chatted for a few more minutes and then ended the call. “You look like you have a lot on your mind, darling.”

“You could say that,” Elisabeth mumbled as she brought the mug to her lips. After she got home, she had taken a long shower and then threw on some sweats before settling in at the kitchen table to wait for her mother to get home. “Did you have a nice day in Wilmington?”

“I did. I had lunch with a couple of ladies from my book club. Then I had to have my hair done and I had a last minute manicure and pedicure,” Abigail said with a bright smile. “What about you, sweetie? Did you have a nice day?”

“No, mother, actually I had a pretty terrible day,” Elisabeth answered honestly. She watched as the smile slowly faded from her mother’s face before saying anything else. After another minute of silence, she fished a crinkled ivory slip of paper from her pocket and slid it across the table so it was in front of Abigail. “Can you please explain that to me?”

Looking somewhat perplexed, Abigail picked it up and inspected it. “Elisabeth, this is your wedding invitation. You know that.”

“How many have you sent out behind my back?” Elisabeth asked in a quiet voice.

“What are you talking about? The only invitations I’ve sent out are the ones you have given me.”

“Don’t lie to me,” she looked across the table and tried not to roll her eyes at Abigail’s dumbfounded expression.

“I really don’t know what you’re talking about,” Abigail said in a condescending tone as she got up and started out of the kitchen.

“Well,” Elisabeth paused to casually sip more tea, “then can you please explain why Nick received one?” She watched as her mother stopped in the doorway, but she didn’t turn around. “Because, you know, I don’t remember making one out to him.”

“That’s absurd, Elisabeth. I only mailed invitations that you gave me. Why would I send one to him?”

Something about the way she referred to Nick sent Elisabeth’s temper over the edge and she stood up and walked over to Abigail. “Why would you do something like that? Why do you always have to stick your meddlesome nose where it doesn’t belong? Don’t you realize that I don’t want you fucking around with my life?

Elisabeth was momentarily stunned when she felt the sting of Abigail’s hand on her cheek.

“Don’t you ever talk to me like that again,” her voice was dangerously calm.

“Oh, mother, don’t change the subject,” Elisabeth said and ignored the stinging on her cheek. “I know you sent one to HIM because that is how you work. You don’t like him because he’s not on your “level”. Well, that’s exactly why I loved him. Because he’s not like you!”

***

“Nicky, I’m sorry you had to find out that way. But, in Elisabeth’s defense, I don’t think she would be that heartless. She doesn’t seem like the type from the way you’ve talked about her,” Winnie squeezed his arm and offered a small smile.

Nick felt himself smile with her and nodded a little. “You’re right. But it’s just so hard seeing her again. And it didn’t help that it was right after I found out she’s getting married. It just doesn’t seem fair to me, Gram. I love her so much. I never stopped loving her.”

“I know this is hard for you, Nick, but no one said it was going to be easy. I don’t doubt that you love her, but I think it’s time you try and move on with your life. You are sweet and caring and don’t think I don’t see young women noticing you. You deserve to be happy,” she said and softly swiped some hair off Nick’s forehead.

“That’s easier said than done.”

“You’re making this harder than it is because you’re holding on to the past. It wouldn’t be so difficult if you wouldn’t clutch so tightly to something that isn’t coming back.”

Nick looked at her waiting for an explanation. He smiled weakly at Gabe as he walked through the door and over to the sink.

Winnie smiled again as she stood up and leaned down to place a tender kiss on Nick’s forehead. “Just let go,” she whispered gently.