- Text Size +
Chapter 107

Nick flopped back on the bed, stretching out as much as he could in the confined space. The concert had gone well and as always after concerts once he finally calmed down, he was exhausted. It was early morning; he’d showered and played his video games for a bit before deciding to finally turn in for the night. So here he was, back in the tiny bunk, even for a luxury bus. Rolling onto his stomach, he shoved his hand through the curtain and grabbed his phone from off the floor from where he set prior to getting into the bunk. He’d had one too many experiences of somehow managing to end up laying on it when he carried it in with him.

He flipped the phone opened and pressed a button.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me.”

“Nick?”

“Yeah, what, you forgot your own brother?” Nick laughed.

“No I…I just…wow.”

“God, don’t sound so surprised BJ,” he sighed.

“I’m sorry but I am, I didn’t think you’d actually call.”

“I told you that I wanted to try harder.”

“I know but…I’m sorry Nick.”

“You should be.”

“Shut up,” BJ laughed.

“Anyway, what’s up with you? What’s been going on?”

“Not a whole lot, just been hanging out, working. Trying to get some modeling done.”

“Hey, that’s cool. I’m sure you’ll get something.”

“I hope so.”

“So how’s things with mom and dad?” Nick questioned, he was hesitant to know to be honest.

BJ sighed, “Eh whatever. Mom is fuckin’ impossible and dad; I don’t even know what the hell is going on with him. Aaron and Angel call and stuff, but dad, it’s like he’s too fuckin’ busy to call me or Les and I’m just tired of it ya know?”

He frowned, “Yeah, I know. Just hang in there ok? You do what you gotta do and that’s it. This is mom and dads shit, let them figure it out.”

“Yeah I know, that’s what everyone keeps telling me, but I miss how things used to be. Ok, so things weren’t always great, but at least we were all together. Now it’s like, we hardly see each other, mom and dad are so wrapped up in getting back at each other it’s like…”

“I’m sorry BJ,” Nick whispered.

“Our family has fallen apart Nick; I just never thought it’d happen ya know?” BJ said softly.

“Yeah, it’s always like…someone else’s family, not yours.”

“Exactly! I miss you too you know. I know…I know I’ve given you a hard time lately and I’m sorry. It’s just been hard and I guess I kinda took it out on you cause you can leave and whatever.”

Nick smiled sadly, “I know, it’s cool, I understand.”

“It still doesn’t make it right. I know you’re doing the best you can.”

“I could’ve done better, I’m trying to now. I’m sorry too…for not being there more, for not calling more for just…everything. I’ve seriously been slacking in big brother duties for a while. I’m gonna do better ok? Just give me some time, it’s hard considering, but ya know, I can definitely make time to talk to you, to all you guys.”

“Thanks Nick, I appreciate that.”

“Well girl, I’m gonna let you go. I’m exhausted.”

“Ok, oh, how was the concert tonight?”

“It was good, everything went well, the crowd was great and ya know, it just felt good to get back out there after so long.”

“Yeah, I’ll have to see if I can go to one of the shows.”

“Just let me know when you’re planning on coming and I’ll hook you up ok?”

“Sure!”

“Ok great. So I’m out, talk to ya later.”

“Ok, night Nick.”

“Night BJ, I love you.”

“Love you too, bye.”

“Bye.”

He hung up, setting the phone on the small shelf next to him, bunching the pillow up below him, closing his eyes, drifting off a short time later.

~~~~~~~~~~

Her eyes flew open, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. Veronica let out a shaky breath, slowly sitting up in the bed. She rubbed at her face, her eyes burning. Slowly she lowered her hands; her whole body trembled in the afterglow of her dream.

Veronica wiped at her eyes, the tears wouldn’t be stopped though. He’d been right there, and he’d touched her, wrapped her in his arms and held her tightly and then she’d woken and he was gone.

Gone.

She would never see him again. Swallowing hard, she tried to fight the tears, tried to stop herself from crying, but she couldn’t. Reaching out, she fought blindly against the darkness for her phone. She flipped it open and started to dial and stopped. She couldn’t call her mom, it was too late and she couldn’t wake her for something as silly as a dream about her dad. But she so badly need to talk to someone, needed to hear another voice. She could call Lynne…but no, it wasn’t right. Who could she call?

Veronica looked down at the phone, her heart breaking, her hand shaking so bad she could barely hang onto the small phone. She could call him, he’d told her to call anytime, but had he truly meant it? All she knew was that she needed him; need to hear his voice, needed to know that she wasn’t alone. Veronica pressed the number and waited, praying that he’d pick up, praying that he’d meant what he’d said.

Nick groaned as the insistent ringing of his cell broke the silence of bus. Reaching out, he slid his hand across the shelf, finding the phone. He flipped it open, cursing himself for not turning it off after his call to BJ, he looked at the screen and went to press the button to turn it off, when he noticed the caller ID.

It was Veronica.

She never called this late. He put the phone up to his ear quickly.

“Hello?”

There was silence for a moment before he heard the soft reply.

“N-Nick?”

He sat up as much as he could in the small area, his heart pounding.

“Veronica? Baby what’s wrong? What’s the matter? Are you ok?”

“N-no.”

He blinked, she sounded like she was crying.

“What honey?”

“I’m sorry for calling so late…m-my dad…y-you said I could call whenever…my dad, I had a dream about him and…he was hugging me and…s-sorry, I…I just needed to hear your voice…”

Nick sighed softly, slumping back, listening to the soft whimpers of her crying on the other end. He shook his head, he wanted desperately to reach out, to be able to hold her and yet this time…he couldn’t. There was truly nothing he could do but listen.

She felt so stupid, but she couldn’t help it. Couldn’t stop the tears, couldn’t stop crying. Hearing his voice only made it worse. She wanted him there with her, to hold her, to take the emptiness away. But he too was far away, so far away.

“Veronica…I’m sorry baby. Shh, it’s gonna be ok,” he soothed; he didn’t know what else to say, what else to do.

“I-I wish you were here,” she whispered, her voice breaking.

Nick rubbed at his eyes in frustration, “So do I sweetie, and I wish I could be.”

“I’m sorry, that wasn’t very fair. I just miss him and…” she sighed, trying to calm herself, to regain her composure. “I didn’t mean to call so late…or early rather. I just needed to hear your voice. I…hope you meant it when you said I could call anytime. I guess it’s a little late to be worrying about that huh?” she chuckled softly.

“I definitely did mean it, I’m glad you called me.”

“Well…I thought of calling mom or Lynne but…”

“I’m glad it was me, I mean that.”

“Thanks Nick. I’ll let you go so you can go back to sleep. Thanks again.”

“Wait, what are you gonna do?”

“I dunno, maybe I’ll read til I get sleepy.”

He hesitated a moment before replying.

“How about a song?”

“A song?”

“Yeah, how bout I sing you to sleep?”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I know, but I want to. Granted it is early in the morning so it’s not gonna be the greatest, but I’ll do my best.”

“Well alright, I’d love it if you sang a song,” Veronica whispered; her heart racing, only this time it was for a different reason.

“Ok, so turn off the lights and get into bed if you aren’t already.”

“I am, and the lights are already off.”

“Good, now close your eyes and try to relax,” Nick whispered.

“Ok, “she let out a breath, closing her eyes, forcing her body to relax.

“Alright, do you have a special request?”

Veronica chuckled, “Nah, just go with whatever pops into your head.”

“Got it and I apologize now if this sounds like crap.”

“It’s fine Nick, don’t worry bout it.”

“Ready?”

“Mmmhmm.”

He cleared his throat started singing the first song that came to mind.

“So long… I've been looking too hard, I've waiting too long. Sometimes I don't know what I will find; I only know it's a matter of time, when you love someone…when you love someone.”

Veronica recognized the song immediately, her heart dropping.

Nick didn’t know why it was this song, didn’t know why when he thought of songs to sing to her, this is the first one to come up. It just seemed right.

“It feels so right, so warm and true I need to know if you feel it too. Maybe I'm wrong, won’t you tell me if I'm coming on too strong? This heart of mine has been hurt before this time I wanna be sure…”

She could feel her body starting to relax, the sound of his rough sleep filled voice echoed in her mind and it was almost as if he was there, right next to her, holding her, lulling her to sleep.

“I've been waiting…for a girl like you to come into my life. I've been waiting for a girl like you and a love that will survive. I've been waiting for someone new to make me feel alive. Yeah, waiting for a girl like you…to come into my life…”

As Nick sang the words, he realized how true they were. He had been waiting for someone, though he didn’t know it. He’d been waiting for a girl, someone he could be close to…someone like her. Even though she was just his friend, it seemed like it was meant to happen. He didn’t seem to be searching anymore. It all made him realize how much he wanted to be there with her now, even though they were only friends. He closed his eyes as he sang, imaging she was right there next to him.

“Now, I know it's right. From the moment I wake up till deep in the night, there's no where on earth that I'd rather be, than holding you, tenderly…”

She could feel herself starting to drift off; it was getting harder and harder to keep a grip on the phone.

He paused; he could hear the deep breathing on the other end. “Veronica?” Nick whispered.

“Mmm?”

“I’m gonna hang up now baby, get some sleep ok? I’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

“Mmmhmm.”

“Hang up the phone ok? Don’t forget.”

“Mmm.”

“Night sweetie.”

“Night…Nick…mmmm thanks.”

Nick waited until he heard the dial tone and then flipped his phone closed, setting it on the shelf next to him again. He stared out into the darkness and suddenly felt very alone, alone and tired. Soon she’d be there; soon they’d see each other again.

Sighing, he rolled back onto his stomach, drifting off a short time later.

I've been waiting…for a girl like you to come into my life. I've been waiting for a girl like you and a love that will survive. I've been waiting for someone new to make me feel alive. Yeah, waiting for a girl like you…to come into my life…I've been waiting, waiting for you. I've been waiting for a girl like you I've been waiting…

Won't you come into my life?


Waiting for A Girl Like You - by Foreginer