- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Whoa, got two chapters written tonight, so you get two chapters as well! Enjoy!
Chapter 121

A Few Hours Later…

Veronica made her way into the pit looking around at the swarms of fans that were filing into their designated seats. There was a buzz in the air, a sense of electricity and excitement that never failed to get her heart racing. The concert was set to start in about ten minutes, the opening acts had already gone on and night had finally set in. Taking a deep breath, Veronica started forward, noticing for the first time that Leighanne was already there, talking to one of the security guards. She hesitantly made her way over just as Leighanne sat, staring up at the stage.

“Do you mind if I sit with you?” She asked cautiously.

Leighanne looked up, her head cocked to the side. “Of course not.”

“Thanks,” Veronica sat.

Leighanne’s eyes lit up suddenly, “You must be Veronica.”

“That’s me, it’s great to finally meet you,” she smiled, offering her hand.

“Likewise! I’d been asking Brian about you but it seems like we kept missing each other.”

“Yeah I know, I was hoping I’d get to meet you. Brian had told me that I’d probably be meeting you here.”

“Too bad it wasn’t sooner, I would’ve loved to have hung out with you.”

“Same here. How‘s your son?”

At the mention of her son, Leighanne’s features softened, “He’s great, I miss him so much. I’ve always missed Brian when he was traveling, but this is even worse. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice for us to have time for ourselves and all, but it’s really tough.”

Veronica smiled sadly, “I can imagine.”

Just then the lights on the stage dimmed, the chanting of the guys name increased and suddenly the large screen started to show scenes from a video made of various shots of the guys from their videos and concerts and such. A few minutes later, the video ended and smoke started to swirl around the stage as a few lights flickered and came up; there was an increase in the volume of screams as the guys suddenly appeared, slowly making there way down the steps on the stage. Veronica pulled her camera out of her purse again, turning it on and snapping a few pictures. She inhaled sharply as the lights came up and AJ started singing, the screaming of the fans rose to a fevered pitch and Veronica struggled not to scream for fear of scaring Leighanne. She smiled broadly as she watched the guys dance, moving from one side of the stage to the other, waving and smiling at fans.

Veronica continued to snap pictures, when suddenly Nick came center stage, staring right at her, he pointed and winked. She could feel her face flaming, she took another picture quickly and was embarrassed to see Nick chuckle. Clearing her throat, she chanced a look at Leighanne who was grinning from ear to ear at her.

She continued to watch, singing along to the songs softly to herself at first until she realized that Leighanne was singing too, rather loudly. Veronica looked over at her, her eyes widening. Leighanne winked, nudging her gently. Veronica grinned, joining her in singing loudly.

All through the concert, her gaze kept resting on Nick. She took lots of pictures and had to change film a few times, she got a lot of great shots of all the guys, but she couldn’t stop staring at Nick. He too seemed to be having the same issue with her. Several times he’d walk by and smile at her or give her a small wave.

After about twenty minutes, each guy came out to speak to the audience. First up was Brian, then came AJ and then Nick. Veronica smiled, watching him as he flirted with the whole audience, walking back and forth, laughing and joking, reading some of the signs. As he wrapped up, he made his way center stage again.

“Well that’s all I have to say, enjoy the concert everyone and remember to scream as loud as you can ok?” He looked down at Veronica suddenly, “Hey sweetie.” Turning he waved and walked off stage, the crowd screaming and yelling wildly.

Leighanne looked over, watching Veronica closely. Nick rarely ever pointed out any of his friends when they came to the shows, even his girlfriends. There must be something special about the young woman sitting next to her.

Veronica shook her head; she hoped no one had heard that. Most likely it would turn up on the internet at some point. She took a calming breath, wiping her sweaty hands on her pants. She somehow managed to make her way through the first half of the concert, Nick continued to smile and point at her throughout the concert and she was sure one of the guys was going to mention it, but they hadn’t.

She watched as they all quickly exited the stage after they finished the current song to go and do a quick wardrobe change, when suddenly Leighanne leaned over close to her.

“You love him don’t you?”

Veronica looked over at Leighanne, startled, “What?”

“You love him; you’re in love with him.”

“Wha-what? No I don’t.”

“Couldn’t tell by the way you’ve been looking at him all night.”

“I don’t, I really don’t. We’re just friends, that’s all.”

Leighanne smiled suddenly, “That’s how it all starts.”

Veronica shook her head ‘no’.

“Listen Veronica; don’t listen to what everyone else says. People like to talk and say what you should and shouldn’t do. Despite what everyone says, it’s ok to love him, you can‘t help who you fall in love with.”

She looked over at Leighanne, fear starting to course through her. She looked back up at the stage just as the guys made their way back out, her gaze finding Nick; he smiled at her and made his way over to the left side of the stage.

No, she hadn’t fallen in love with him, she couldn’t.