- Text Size +
Chapter 122

“We have to go now and avoid the rush, it’s already gonna be really busy, but not as bad as when the concert is actually done,” Leighanne yelled over the screaming crowd as she lead Veronica backstage.

Veronica’s ears were ringing and her throat was horse from screaming so much. As it would turn out, Leighanne didn’t mind the screaming in the least, and as she had explained to Veronica, she was used to it by now and to by all means, scream as loud as she wanted.

So she had.

It turned out to be the best Backstreet concert she’d been to. Now the concert was just about over and they were making their way backstage. Leighanne had told Veronica that Nick had asked her to tell Veronica to meet him back on his bus before she left, and to bring her back to make sure she didn‘t have any problems or get lost in the shuffle. Leighanne lead her off to the side to a quiet area.

“Ok this is it. Nick usually heads over to his bus right after the concert to shower and of course to get ready to leave, so you can head on over.”

“Ok, thanks Leighanne, it was great to finally meet you.”

“It was great meeting you too. You have my home and cell numbers, please call anytime, I’d love to chat with you. When Brian’s gone and Bay is asleep, it gets lonely.”

Veronica smiled, “Ok I will. Take care.”

“You too!” Leighanne smiled, giving her a small wave before turning and making her way into the crowd of the crewmembers, filtering around, starting to disassemble the stage.

Veronica took one last look around before hurrying back and around. She made her way over to Nick’s bus, it was already running and the driver was standing outside, finishing a cigarette. She gave him a shy smile and he nodded, gesturing with his head for her to go up.

She made her way up onto the bus; she could hear the water in the shower running. Veronica made her way down the narrow hallway and back to the lounge area, sitting on the couch to wait for him. She looked around, still not quite believing that it had happened, that she was really there. She was tempted to take her camera out and take a picture of his bus. Shaking her head, she relaxed back, closing her eyes.

Nick made his way out, towel around his waist, he looked around anxiously and smiled when he saw Veronica sitting on the couch, her head tipped back and eyes closed. He studied her intently; his smile fading as he realized this was it. She would leave and he didn’t know when he’d see her again.

He suddenly felt very sick.

Looking away quickly, he shook his head as if to clear it, before looking back over at her. It’d all happened so fast, too fast and here they were again, saying goodbye.

“Hey,” he whispered.

Startled, her eyes flew open and she brought her head down, her eyes widening as she looked him over.

“H-hey…”

“Hang on, let me get dressed, I’ll be right back,” he announced, making his way into his bunk, grabbing his clothes and heading back into the small bathroom.

Veronica sat up straighter, her heart pounding. She hadn’t even realized that the water had stopped, hadn’t heard the door open or anything. She wrung her hands together, suddenly nervous. This was it, in a few minutes she’d be leaving, she didn’t know when she’d see him again, if ever. The thought saddened her more than she liked. Tears started welling in her eyes, she groaned in frustration, rubbing at her eyes angrily. She wouldn’t get upset over this, she wouldn’t cry over him, she couldn’t let him have that. The door opened and she looked away, wiping at her eyes again quickly, looking up again as he made his way out, smiling at her as he flopped down next to her on the couch, the scent of soap filling the air. He sighed heavily, leaning over to rest his head on her shoulder.

“Great concert tonight Nick, you guys were great,” she smiled.

“Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it.”

“I did, this has just been amazing.”

He smiled, tilting his head up to look at her, the smile fading. “This is it huh?”

Veronica looked down at him, nodding, “Time for me to go, you too.”

Nick looked away, suddenly feeling very anxious and angry at the same time.

“Thanks so much for everything Nick, really. The pass, meeting the guys…the gifts. I’ll never forget this day.”

He didn’t want to hear this; it was as if she was saying goodbye forever. It’d taken so long for her to get back here, for her to be near him and now…

“You’ll have to thank the guys for me too, and your crew members. Everyone was so nice, you guys really are like a family, and it’s so cool to see.”

Nick lifted his head, staring at her.

She blinked, “What?”

He shook his head, “Nothing.”

She stared at him for a moment before standing, “C’mon, walk me to the door.”

They made their way down the hall towards the front of the bus, stopping just by the entrance.

“Well…I gotta get going, got a bit of a drive ahead of me, and so do you,” she chuckled.

He nodded, “Thanks for coming Veronica.”

“Are you kidding, I wouldn’t have missed this for a second. This is exactly what I needed.”

“I’m glad it made you happy.”

“More than happy.”

“Cool, oh yeah, the guys told me to tell you bye and it was nice to meet you.”

She nodded, reaching out to grab her basket and rose, tucking it into the basket carefully. “Ok, so I’m out, thanks again Nick. See ya later.”

Nick watched as she turned, starting out the bus and that’s when he knew he couldn’t let her leave and not know, not know when he’d see her again.

Suddenly he was in front of her, his hands on her arms, holding her still.

“The…the tour is over in February. I…I want you to come…to Florida and stay with me.”

She blinked, “What?”

“I want you to come visit me when the tour is over, come stay with me for a week, two weeks, whatever. I’ll pay for your ticket.”

“Whoa whoa…wait a minute Nick. Come see you?”

“Yeah, c’mon.”

“Nick, you don’t have to do that.”

“I want to.”

“I don’t know…”

“Please Veronica, you let me stay with you, let me into your world. Let me bring you into mine, besides, it’ll be nice to be able to hang out for longer than a day again.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing, couldn’t believe that he wanted to see her again, that he wanted her to go to his house and stay with him. Her mind was screaming for her to say no, but her heart wanted something else.

“Please?” he whispered, “I want you to.”

Veronica looked up at him, there was something in his eyes, something flickered for a moment and then it was gone. She chuckled softly, nodding her head. “Ok fine, I’ll come. But I’ll buy my own ticket thank you.”

“Sweet! Nevermind the ticket, that‘s not important, when we can agree on a date, I‘ll get the ticket and I don‘t want you to argue.”

She frowned. “Fine.”

“Cool cool, alright it’s settled then. The tour ends I believe the first week of February, so maybe that next week or the week after, we can settle that once it gets closer and hey, you let me know if you can get the time off from work ok?”

Veronica nodded numbly, it was all happening so fast, and her head was reeling. He looked relieved suddenly, as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

“Ok…so…ok then…it’s settled. I’ll see you…in February Nick.”

He was beaming, “Ok!”

She shook her head; unable to stop herself from smiling, turning she started for the door again, when again Nick stopped her.

“Hey…wait, can I get a hug before you leave?” He asked softly.

“Aww Nick, of course you can.”

She set the basket and her purse down before turning to him, intending to keep the hug as friendly as possible. Smiling, she walked into his open arms, giving him a gentle squeeze, intending to end it there, when she felt his hold on her tighten a bit. She inhaled sharply, trying desperately to hold onto the last bit of restraint she had.

“Veronica?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m really gonna…miss you.”

Veronica squeezed her eyes shut, burying her face in his neck suddenly. “I’m gonna miss you too Nick. We’ll see each other again soon though.”

“Not soon enough,” he whispered.

She bit her lip, hugging him tighter, “Yeah.”

Nick pulled away suddenly, watching her closely for a moment before leaning in, kissing her gently at first, and then deeper. Veronica moaned softly, clutching at him suddenly, unable to get enough, unable to let go.

After a few long seconds, they pulled apart, both panting softly.

“I have to go Nick…”

He nodded, his eyes closed, his forehead resting against hers. “So do I.”

“See you in a few months. Take care of yourself ok?”

Again, he nodded.

“Bye,” she gave him a small wink before pulling away, grabbing her purse and basket once again before making her way out the bus.

Nick watched her leave, his bus driver making his way onto the bus, buckling in and shutting the door. There was an unfamiliar pressure in his chest, making it hard to breathe suddenly. Turning, he started back to his bunk, slipping in and stuffing his face in his pillow.

They were always saying goodbye, only this time, she was leaving him.