- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Whew, I got two chapters written today, which is rare. Huge thanks to Laureen for the prod! You go girl! If not for Laureen, I most likely wouldn't have gotten done, three cheers for Laureen!

Enjoy!
Chapter 126

A Few Weeks Later…

She giggled softly as Jared pulled the shirt off her, tossing it aside.

“Just what do you think you’re doing?”

“Getting fresh,” he winked.

Veronica giggled again, pulling him down with her on the couch, “Ya know, I don’t appreciate it when guys think they can get fresh with me and that I’ll just allow it.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“And mmm…what would you do about it?” Jared asked, leaning in, nibbling at her neck gently.

“Demand that he let me get fresh with him first.”

Jared started to chuckle causing Veronica to smile.

“What?”

“You, you’re too much lady,” Jared grinned, lifting his head to look down at her.

“Yeah, but that’s what you love about me right?”

He turned serious suddenly, “Yeah…yeah it is.”

Veronica smiled, “Well then…”

Jared leaned in close to her ear, brushing his lips over her skin lightly, whispering, “I want you…”

Her heart dropped, her eyes closing as he continued to nibble at her neck. She took a breath, trying to focus, to try to make it not so nerve-wracking.

“God, you’re all I think about Veronica, I miss you when you’re not with me.”

Drawing in a shaky breath, she turned her head away as Jared slowly made his way down her body, unbuttoning her jeans, starting to tug them down. She could feel herself starting to zone out as she always did when it came to being with Jared on a more intimate level. It’d been like this for the past few weeks, every time they’d start something, she never could seem to bring herself to want to reciprocate, she couldn’t seem to bring herself to feel all those things one is supposed to feel at times like this.

The way she had felt when…

She shook her head, squeezing her eyes tighter shut, no, she had to stop.

“Mmm, Veronica…”

She licked at her dry lips, slowly opening her eyes, staring up at the ceiling, taking a fortifying breath before slowly sitting up.

“Jared…wait.”

He leaned in, kissing her deeply before Veronica pulled away, staring at him.

“Jared…”

He sighed heavily, sitting back on his haunches, “Veronica…”

“I’m sorry, I’m just, I can’t…”

Jared stared at her in silence for a moment, before shaking his head, slipping off the bed.

Veronica looked away, rubbing at her temples.

“What’s wrong?”

She looked up at him, “What do you mean?”

He looked back over at her, the hurt evident in his eyes, “I mean what’s wrong? Anytime we try to…every time I try to get close to you, every time I try to do more than kiss you, you freakin’ zone out on me. What the hell is going on?”

“Nothing is going on Jared.”

“You’re always so distracted when it comes to anything other than hugging or kissing, the moment things start to get heavy or more physical, you just…” he sighed in frustration, throwing his hands up.

“Whoa hey, we’ve done a lot of physical stuff Jared.”

“I know, just not…”

“If this is because we haven’t had sex then I’m sorry ok? But I’m just not ready and I’m not right now.”

“Well ya know, that’d be fine if I thought that that’s really all that there was to the way you act, but…” he hesitated, staring at her intently.

She blinked, shifting uncomfortably, “What?”

“Is…is there something you want to tell me?”

Veronica stilled, staring hard at him. “No.”

He raised an eyebrow, “No?”

“No, everything is fine.”

Jared looked away, taking a deep breath.

Biting her lip, she stared hard at the sheet covering her. “I just…I just want to take it slow Jared, that’s all. It’s not anything to do with you I promise, I just need time.” She looked up at him; he wasn’t looking at her, but staring at some point on the floor. She could tell he didn’t believe her, but what else could she do.

“Jared, I’m sorry, I am.”

Finally, he looked up at her, a sad smile on his lips. “It’s ok baby, no problem. We’ll wait for as long as we need to ok?”

It hurt to look at him and she lowered her gaze to the floor, inwardly cursing herself. It shouldn’t have been so hard, she shouldn’t feel as if she was betraying anyone, but she did. She couldn’t help the feeling, couldn’t stop the guilt.

Slowly she lay back on the bed, turning her head to look at him. He stood after a few moments, turning the lights off before climbing into the bed beside her, scooting up behind her, pulling her back to him. Silence ensued, and sleep descended a short time later.