- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ahh I'm at a great point in my story and I was dying to write chapter 138 so I actually wrote tonight too which is rare. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this second update!
Chapter 128

Nick flipped the phone closed, slipping it back into his pocket before making his way back over to the table, sitting back down. That had been interesting conversation, Nick was glad she had called, but she sounded so sad. Something was wrong, he could tell in her voice.

“Hey man, s’up?” AJ asked as he sat next to him.

“Not much.”

“Oh yeah? Doesn’t look like it, what’s wrong?” AJ asked, “Were you just speaking to Veronica?”

“Yeah.”

“So what’s up with you two anyway? You’ve been so quiet about her here lately.”

“Nothing, she’s got a boyfriend now, I try not to bother her too much.”

“Ahh so that’s why you’ve been moping around for the last two months.”

“I have not been moping,” Nick growled.

“You have so and you’ve been in a real shitty mood, everyone’s been saying so.”

Nick gave him the finger, rolling his eyes.

AJ smirked, “So tell me, is that why you’ve suddenly been so interested in hooking up with your uh… “girlfriends”?

“No! I’ve just needed some companionship, that’s all.”

“Ok fine, but you’re settling for women whose “companionship” you don’t really want.”

Nick glared at AJ, “If I didn’t want it, then I wouldn’t be with them.”

“Sure you would, if you were trying to pretend they were someone else.”

He shook his head, “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Trust me on this Nick; I’m probably one of the few who do know. C’mon Nick, this is me we’re talking about here. I’m the king of sleeping with random women to try to fill that void when someone I like is dating someone else. It’s natural.”

He groaned, “It’s not natural.”

“What I don’t get,“ AJ went on as if Nick hadn’t spoken, “is why this is getting to you more than usual, I mean, normally you’d pout for a few days, but after that you’d be right back in the saddle with someone else.”

“Whatever AJ, you don’t know what you’re talking about.”

AJ smiled, “Boy, she’s really gotten to you hasn’t she?”

Nick sighed, looking over at AJ.

“Hey Nick, it’s cool man, ok? I mean…I talk big and all, but I do know what it’s like when you meet that special woman who makes all other offers off the table ya know? Someone who makes every other woman seem like second best.”

“AJ…”

“When that happens, I’ve learned not to let her go, cause once you do, it’s damn near impossible to get her back. Now, she’s dating someone, but ya know, don’t let that dissuade you or anything. Be there for her, so if an opening comes along, you can jump in there.”

“AJ…listen to me, it’s not like that. I…we’re friends, that’s it. Me hanging out with girls is not anything unusual. What Veronica does or who she dates is none of my business.”

AJ sighed heavily, “Then you’re gonna lose her man.”

Nick watched as AJ stood and sauntered off. Cursing in frustration, he buried his face in his hands.