- Text Size +
Chapter 129

Two Weeks Before Christmas…

“Aww that was really good, I enjoyed it,” Veronica smiled, standing up, stretching a bit.

“Mmm, yeah, it was better than I thought it’d be.”

“Well I’m gonna get ready for bed, I’ll meet you in there,” she grinned.

“I’m gonna going.”

“Are you ok? What’s wrong?”

Jared looked up at her, sighing heavily. “This isn’t gonna work.”

She blinked, “Huh?”

“This…us, it’s not working. We’ve been dating for a few months now and our relationship isn’t anywhere that it should be. We’re more like friends than a couple, which isn’t bad…if we were friends, but we’re not. We’re supposed to be more than that.”

“Jared…I…I just…I know we haven’t really ya know, but I think it’s time now, I think I’m ready.” However, as she said the words, she wasn’t really sure if she was.

Jared groaned in frustration, standing up suddenly. “It’s not just that Veronica, there’s more to a relationship than sex.”

“Jared, I never said that there wasn’t!”

He shook his head, “I know I know, I’m sorry. It’s just…it’s not just that. You’re not in this relationship; your heart isn’t in to it. It’s like there’s something keeping you from actually opening up and giving anything of yourself to me, something or…someone, is holding you back.”

Veronica stared at him.

“It’s time you told me about Nick.”

Her eyes widened, “I already told you about Nick Jared.”

He shook his head, “Not everything, if you had, you wouldn’t shut down, you wouldn’t look so nervous whenever I bring him up.”

She looked away; she did not shut down when he brought him up.

“Look Veronica, I’m not trying to start anything here, but I’m tired of competing against someone who is supposedly just a friend.”

This wasn’t happening, it wasn’t.

“He’s always there somehow, we don’t even need to be talking about him but somehow he’s always there. You never mention him and when I ask you about him, you act like there’s some secret.”

Veronica swallowed hard, looking back over at him helplessly.

Jared stared at her, “I don’t believe you’re just friends, or that you’ve always just been friends at least.”

She exhaled loudly, rubbing at her forehead as she made her way over to the couch, sitting next to him.

“Veronica?”

She looked over at him.

“Have you ever been with Nick?”

“I keep telling you we’re friends Jared! I don‘t see him from one month to the next.”

“But he came to meet you in July; you don’t have to see someone everyday to be with them for one night.”

Her heart dropped and she stared down at her hands.

“It’s not my business I know, but were you?”

She looked back up at him.

“Did you…were you…intimate with him Veronica during that time in July?”

Veronica struggled to come up with a reply, struggled for an answer that was anything but the truth.

“Jared…”

“It’s ok; you don’t have to say anything else.”

“Jared I’m sorry, I…”

He shook his head, “Don’t, it’s ok Veronica, really.”

She bit her lip, staring at him sadly.

Jared gave her a sad smile, “I’m sorry honey, but I can’t keep doing this. Pretending that it’s ok and taking a backseat to someone who is obviously very important to you, so important that you’re not able to let anyone else in.”

She looked away again.

“I need to be with someone who wants to be with me.”

“But I do want to be with you Jared.”

“No, it’s not me that you want to be with,” he finished softly. Slowly he leaned in, kissing her gently, cupping her cheek in his hand. “Bye Veronica, I love you.”

He stood then and made his way out.