- Text Size +
Chapter 131

He rubbed the towel vigorously over his head before letting it drape around his shoulders. A shower seemed to help, he felt less aroused and more relaxed. He flipped the light off in the bathroom and made his way back over to the bed, sitting. Reaching out he grabbed the remote and turned the volume down on the TV and then grabbed his cell phone, maybe he should call her, it’d been several weeks since they last spoke and he really missed her.

Nick pressed the number programmed for her and waited.

“Hello?”

“Hey.”

“Nick! Wow hi!” She couldn’t believe he called, it’d been a few weeks since they’d last spoke.

He chuckled, “Hey girl, how are ya?”

“I’m ok, god; it’s so great to hear from you.”

Nick could hear the relief in her voice and frowned in confusion.

“It’s good to talk to you too.”

“I tried calling you a couple of times, I left a few messages.”

“Oh yeah, I got em, I’ve just been so busy I haven’t had the chance to call ya back until now, I’m sorry bout that.”

“No no, I understand completely, I guess I was just kinda worried that…I dunno, that you were mad at me maybe and that you didn‘t want to talk to me anymore,” she said softly.

Nick sighed softly, “Aww baby no, not at all. I have no reason to be mad at you.”

“Yeah? I dunno, I have a tendency to wear on people’s nerves and make them mad at me without even knowing and if that was the case with you, I didn’t want to keep calling and bothering you. It’s just…I’ve…I’ve really missed talking you lately, you’ve been so distant.”

He felt like the biggest ass there ever was.

Veronica blinked at the silence that ensued, maybe she’d said too much.

“Whoa, I’m sorry Nick; I didn’t mean to freak you out or anything.”

“Don’t…don’t apologize, you’ve got nothing to be sorry for. I’m really sorry for not calling more, honestly. I’ve really missed you too and since we’re being honest here, I have to say that I was worried about bothering you by calling so often like I was.”

“Did I give you that impression?”

“Not really, but so much has been going on for you over the last month or two, that I didn’t want to be in the way.”

“Aww Nick, you could never be in the way, trust me. I’ve always got time to talk to you Nick and if I don’t, I’ll make time. You…this friendship is very important to me.”

Nick smiled softly, “For me too.”

“Ok then it’s settled, neither one of us is bothering the other nor we’ll go back to calling whenever we can.”

“Deal.”

She chuckled, “Alright.”

“So, are you looking forward to Christmas?”

“Kind of, I don’t really have anything planned other than going to Mom’s.”

“Really? You’re not going to be doing anything with Jared?”

Just saying his name made Nick sick to his stomach.

“Jared? Nah, we broke up a few weeks ago.”

Silence once again fell.

“Uh Nick? Still with me?”

He couldn’t believe it, he just couldn’t. Last time he spoke with her she sounded happy, sounded happy and as if things were great and now…

“Huh? Oh yeah, I’m here, sorry, just caught me off guard. If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?”

“Oh ya know, the relationship wasn’t really going anywhere, so he ended it.”

“Sweetie, I’m sorry,” Nick replied softly, and he was but part of him was also happy. He felt bad that he felt that way, but he’d be lying if he didn’t admit that when she’d first said it, he’d felt a rush of extreme happiness rush over him.

“It’s alright, it just wasn’t meant to be I guess.”

“Yeah,” he answered, unable to stop the smile from spreading over his lips.

“So how bout you? You looking forward to Christmas?”

“Yeah, I’m flying Aaron and my Sisters down to spend a few days with me, kinda like a mini family Christmas ya know? The guys are gonna have their families with them too as usual, so yeah, it should be nice.”

“Aww that sounds really nice.”

“I’m looking forward to it actually now that I think about it. It’ll be nice to see everyone again.”

“I’ll bet. Well I’m gonna get going, I know you had a concert tonight so you must be pretty tired.”

Actually he felt great, he was happier than he’d been when he first called. He wouldn’t be getting to sleep anytime soon.

“Yeah a little, I’m a bit more awake now.”

“Well that makes one of us, I’m exhausted and it’s two hours later here than there anyway.”

“Since when’d you become such a wimp?”

“Excuse me?”

“You used to be able to stay up late, such a shame,” Nick tsked.

“Shut up man!”

He chuckled, “Alright seriously, I’ll let ya go. I’ll give you a call tomorrow ok?”

“Ok sure. Take care!”

“You too, night Veronica.”

“Night Nick.”