- Text Size +
Chapter 140

“It sucks that my flight got in so late that we really weren’t able to go out and do much.”

“It’s no problem sweetie, we have all week, besides there’s nothing wrong with just staying in tonight. Give us a chance to catch up and for you to relax.” Nick smiled, as he shut the door.

“I enjoyed the drive around, I remember so little from Florida the few times I was here, and we didn’t really drive around or whatever, I’m looking forward to seeing the sights and stuff.”

“I look forward to showing them to you.”

“I hope so cause I wanna see it all!”

“And you will. Hey, I was thinking pizza for dinner? You up for it?”

“Sure, but I think I wanna hop in the shower first, I feel really gross.”

Nick licked his lips, clearing his throat. “Sure you go ahead and I’ll order the pizza when you get out.”

“Cool thanks. I shouldn’t be too long,” she smiled before turning and heading up the stairs.

Nick watched her go, walking over to the couch, flopping down. He couldn’t stand it, he wanted desperately to be in that shower with her.

“C’mon Carter, get a grip man! You can’t just maul her, she just freakin’ got here! Ugh!”

Rolling onto his back, Nick stared up at the ceiling, rubbing his stomach idly. Part of him had wanted to suggest she stay in his bedroom for the time she was there, but he figured that wouldn’t set right with her. Groaning, he grabbed one of the throw pillows off of the couch and covered his face with it as the sounds of the shower made their way down the stairs.

Closing his eyes, he allowed his mind to wander to steam, water trailing over her hot skin when suddenly the phone rang. Bolting up, Nick hurried to the kitchen and grabbed the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey man, what’s up? How’s it going? Is Veronica there yet?”

“Hey AJ, things are fine and yes she is she’s in the shower.”

“Damn you work fast don’t you?”

Nick rolled his eyes, “It’s not like that you jackass. She’s taking a shower cause she said she felt gross. So we‘re gonna eat pizza when she gets out.”

“Uh huh, and uh…have you thought anymore about asking her out?”

“You’re an ass you know that.”

“How? What’s wrong with just being friends AJ? I don’t want to fuck this up ok?”

“Whatever man, apparently it hasn’t gotten that bad yet. I’ll check in with you midweek and see if you still feel that way.”

“Whatever man.”

“Seriously, you should at least consider one date…just try for gods sake Nick.”

He sighed heavily.

“It’s just a thought. But Imma let ya go aight? Talk to ya later!” AJ finished before hanging up abruptly.

Putting the phone back in the charger, he heard Veronica’s door open and her start down the stairs. Grabbing the phone again, he dialed and ordered the pizza.

“Well I feel so much better, whew.”

Nick set the phone back down on the charger and turned, his mouth going dry. She wasn’t in anything revealing, just sweat pants and a tank top, but he couldn’t tare his eyes away from her.

“Have you ordered the pizza? Nick?”

“Huh? Oh yeah I just did. Should be here in about forty five minutes.”

“Ok then, sounds good.”

“Well in the meantime, we can watch some TV and ya know, catch up or whatever.”

“Ok.”

Nick lead her over to the couch and they sat, Nick flipped the TV on and started scanning through the stations. They chatted for a bit until the pizza came and then they ate quietly while watching a movie Nick put in. A few hours later they cleaned up and Veronica stated she was going to head to bed.

“Alright, well I hope you sleep well.”

“Thanks Nick, and thanks again for ya know, inviting me to visit you.”

“Believe me, it’s for entirely selfish reasons.”

She stood, making her way towards the stairs, Nick followed.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, I wanted to see you.”

Turning, she looked at him, “Well I’m glad to hear it.”

Nick stared at her a moment, taking a step closer and then another until they were almost touching. Bringing his hands up, he gently cupped her face, staring at her intently.

“Nick…what?”

“Thank you for coming, you have no idea how much you being here means to me. You don’t know…”

Veronica stared at him, stunned. “Nick, it’s ok.”

He shook his head, “I just want…need you to know that I’m really glad you’re here. And that I’ve been waiting for you to be her for…it seems like forever.”

She blinked, licking her lips nervously.

Nick’s gaze drifted to her lips and lingered.

“Goodnight Nick.”

He lifted his eyes to hers briefly before leaning in, kissing her gently. Nick heard her sigh softly and deepened the kiss a bit before slowly pulling away. “Goodnight Veronica.”

She stared at him a moment longer before turning and making her way upstairs. Nick watched her leave before following her up and heading into his bedroom. Slowly he laid down on the bed, listening intently. He heard her turn the lamp off and then there was silence. Taking a calming breath, he turned his head and looked at the radio, an hour had past since she’d turned the light off. Slowly he sat up and slid off the bed and made his way out of the room.

Stopping in front of her door, he hesitated a moment before reaching out and slowly turning the knob and pushing the door open. Nick quietly made his way in and over to the bed, his eyes running over her still form. Sighing softly, he reached out and carefully pulled the covers up higher over her. Hesitating a moment longer, he climbed onto the bed behind her, moving up close behind her. He’d stay, just for a few minutes and then leave. Carefully he draped his arm across her hip, pulling her back against him, burying his face in her neck.