- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, ooooooooone more chapter for today. I got two chapters written tonight, so you get two chapters as an update. Unfortunately, another short one. I hope you enjoy nevertheless!
Chapter 157

Veronica shut the door and made her way around the car and over to Nick. They made their way to the edge of the water and walked slowly. She looked around desperately, trying hard to not look at him, afraid he would be able to see right through her. She had no idea what they were doing here, no idea what he wanted to talk about, although she feared he was going to tell her about the comment in the interview, that he was finally going to stop their friendship.

It didn’t make sense though, they could be friends even if he was seeing someone, they were friends when she was dating Jared, it’s not like she was going to be any kind of competition for his future girlfriend. Veronica couldn’t believe Nick was going to just end their almost two year friendship over that. Sighing heavily, she turned her head suddenly when she felt Nick slip his hand into hers, pulling her closer.

“Do you remember when we went to the beach when I went to visit you last year?” Nick said finally.

She nodded, “Of course. I had way more fun than I had expected.”

“Yeah, once I got you into the water you were unstoppable.”

She chuckled, “Yeah, I really love the water.”

Nick tugged on her hand, turning her so her back was to him as they stood, staring out at the water. He felt her stiffen and smiled sadly.

“Hey, relax.”

“Yeah…ok, I’ll try.”

He frowned, she didn’t even try to deny that she was tense, it was worse than he thought. Nick gave her a gentle squeeze, resting his chin on her shoulder.

“I was thinking when we get home, we can go swimming later,” he suggested, turning his head to see a small smile on her lips, “Does that sound good?”

She nodded, looking away. He blinked, burying his face in her neck suddenly, hugging her tighter.

“Please just…hang in there for me Veronica, ok? Just…wait for me,” he whispered in her ear. He felt her inhale shakily and he gave her another squeeze, “I need you to trust me Veronica, you said you did before, I need that trust again.”

Veronica squeezed her eyes tighter shut, she didn’t know what he meant, but she hadn’t been expecting him to say this. After everything that’d happened and what she’d heard today, she still did trust him, and that was her biggest mistake.

“Let’s go home ok?”

She nodded and they silently made their way back to his car.