- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ohhh things start getting serious now...what will Mr. Carter do? Thanks for all the f/b, sorry for the delay.

Enjoy!
Chapter 163

Veronica looked around in wonder. They’d arrived at Busch Gardens about an hour ago and she was amazed at all there was to see. It was a totally different vibe from Disneyworld, lots of real animals and such, plenty of rides. Nick Veronica noticed, seemed kind of spacey. He kept giving her these looks for some reason; she’d turn her head and catch him staring at her with this dopy look on his face. She knew telling him one of her fantasies had been a mistake.

They made their way into one of the stores, looking around. Veronica jumped when she felt something poke her in the side; she looked over to see Nick looking around innocently.

“What is with you today Carter?”

He looked over at her, “What?”

“Don’t play innocent with me man, you’ve been acting goofy all day.”

“Can’t help it, I’m in a great mood,” he smiled, slipping his arm around her waist suddenly, pulling her close to him.

“I see that,” Veronica chuckled.

It was true; he couldn’t stop smiling for some reason. Ever since last night when she’d told him her fantasy, he was on cloud nine. He supposed it could be for the fact that she had thought of him in the romantic sense and not just as a friend, granted this was before they’d met he imagined. Still it was enough, now all he wanted to do was hug her.

They made their way out of the store a few minutes later.

“So, what do you have planned when you go home?”

“Mmm, work of course, but I’m also going to be looking for another job too.”

“Really?! That’s great!”

“Yeah, I’m gonna do it this time, I’m gonna find something.”

“You are, I know you will.”

She smiled at him, “Thanks for the encouragement.”

“Anytime baby,” he winked, leaning in and kissing her cheek gently, smiling when he saw her cheeks turn red.

They entered another store, Nick watched as Veronica looked around, picking up a stuffed tiger, giving it a gentle hug before setting it down and walking off. Nick hurried up behind her, grabbing the stuffed animal and then following behind her discreetly. After a few minutes, Nick made his way to the register to pay for the stuff he’d picked up and quickly followed Veronica out.

“That store had a lot of nice things. I’m thinking if possible before we leave, we could head back over, there’s a couple of small things I wanted to get.”

“Mmmhmm, sure,” he grinned.

“Ohh look, there’s a store over there that sells perfumes, I love perfume, can we stop there?”

“Of course,” he laughed, following her in. He browsed up and down the aisles a bit before looking for Veronica before noticing she was standing outside waiting for him. He hurried out.

“Girl you’re too fast.”

“I’m sneaky, what can I say?”

After riding a few rides and grabbing a quick bite to eat, the sun started setting and they were slowly making their way towards the entrance of the park when Veronica’s phone rang. Nick watched as she pulled the phone out, her eyes lighting up when she read the id.

“It’s James!” She cried happily.

Nick felt his stomach drop as she flipped the phone open. He stared straight ahead, trying not to listen.

“James hi! Wow how are you? It’s so great to hear from you, no I’m good…I’m in Florida visiting with a friend…”

He winced, looking away suddenly, trying to focus on anything else.

“Really, geeze that’s pretty cool. No…nope, yeah everything’s pretty much the same; you know how it goes there, yup…yup…exactly! I go home on Monday, no it’s ok, you didn’t know. It’s great; I’m having a great time…uh huh, oh yeah, absolutely!”

Something close to rage was forming inside his body, he hated the fact that she sounded so happy made him so mad. He hated the fact that he didn’t know this James guy but that he too made him so angry. There was something else though along with the anger that was also coursing through him hard and fast…fear.

Nick knew what James meant to her, and despite all that’d happened between her and him, it was obvious that she still had feelings for him; she never did get to really explore those feelings with him. He looked over at her and felt a small part of him die at the sight of her so happy. He looked down, unable to watch anymore.

“Ok so then I’ll see you…you’ve got it, I can’t wait. You take care and stay safe ok? Yeah, I miss you too, bye!” She flipped the phone closed and looked over at him. “It was James! You won’t believe it, but he’s coming home in a few weeks and he wants to get together for lunch and hang out or something! I’m so excited, It’s so great, it’s been almost two years since he left. Man, I haven’t spoken to him since July when you were visiting.”

Nick smiled a bit, slowly looking up at her, “That’s cool, maybe…maybe ya know, you guys will be able to hook up or something.”

“What you mean like a relationship or something?” She asked.

He shrugged and then nodded, trying to fight the nausea that had crept up suddenly, he couldn’t believe he was saying it.

“I dunno, he said he didn’t want to do the whole long distance relationship thing, but if he changed his mind then…then…wow,” she grinned.

His mouth had gone dry suddenly, he was going to lose her and Nick was almost positive that if they did start dating, he wouldn’t be the only she’d…she wouldn’t wait like she did with Jared. She liked James, maybe even loved him. The realization that it could be true hit him hard.

He knew what he needed to do.

“Let’s head home ok?”

She looked up at him and smiled, “Sure.”

He nodded and reached out, taking her hand suddenly, pulling her closer. He wasn’t going to lose her, he couldn’t.