- Text Size +
Chapter 18

Friday afternoon…

Veronica made her way out the car carefully, treading lightly so as not to slip. Making her way inside the lobby part of the apartment complex, she opened the security door and then turned to get her mail. Grabbing the thick stack of letters out of the small compartment, she closed the box and made her way in and down the hall to her apartment, unlocking the door and walking in. Removing her coat and such quickly, setting the mail on the table and headed into her room to get undressed. It’d been a long tiring day at work. Granted she had left early, but it was busy, Friday’s usual were. It had been a long week period. She was glad the weekend was here, luckily she didn’t work weekends.

Making her way out her room, she headed into the kitchen to make something for a late lunch, when she remembered the mail. Walking over to the table, she grabbed the stack of mail sitting at the table, going through it. It was all junk mail. Pre-approval for a credit card, a phone number to call to claim her prize of a trip to the Bahamas, and lastly a bill for her cell phone, same old crap. Groaning, she grabbed the junk mail to throw out, when she saw a letter she’d forgotten. Picking it up, she flipped it over and stilled, her address label was on the front. Veronica looked up in the corner; there was no return address. It couldn’t be, it just couldn’t. She’d finally convinced herself to stop looking, to not care and now…

Veronica tossed the other mail back down and stood, clutching the envelope tightly in her hand. A form letter, that’s what it was, a form letter. Maybe the person who sent them, didn’t have time to answer her with one of the professional envelopes or whatever, maybe they ran out of those autographed pictures they give contest winners in the big manila envelopes, yeah that was it. Blindly she made her way over to the couch, stopping to tear the envelope open and pull the single sheet of lined paper out. Taking a deep breath, she unfolded the letter and read, slowly sinking down to the cushions.

Dear Veronica,
Thanks for your letter, thanks for all your support for me and my music, it means a lot to me. I hope you’ll enjoy the new album when it comes out. It was nice to get your letter, I generally don’t have time to write back to fans like I used to, but I thought I’d give it a try again. I’d like to hear from you again if you have the time. Below you’ll find my P.O. box. I do ask though, that you not give the address out to anyone else please, I’d kind of like to keep it on the downlow. I hope to hear from you again soon. Thanks again.

Nick Carter


Veronica stared at the address at the bottom of the letter, reading it over and over again, not quite believing it. It wasn’t a form letter; it was an actual handwritten letter on lined paper. He wanted her to write him back, this wasn’t happening, it couldn’t be happening. It wasn’t real; he didn’t have the time to write. She was supposed to get a letter from the fan club, not from him. Veronica looked at the paper, there was no date, and she had no idea when he’d sent it, and if he’d even sent it. It could be someone screwing around with her. That was it then, she wouldn’t write him back, she wasn’t going to be made a fool of. Things like this didn’t happen, everyone knew they never answered their fan mail anymore, so chances were he didn’t write this. No, she wasn’t going to waste her time. Folding the letter up, she stuffed it back in the envelope and tossed it on the coffee table.

No way.

Standing she made her way back into the kitchen, forcing herself to forget the letter.