- Text Size +
Chapter 23


“…We ask that you keep your seatbelts on until the seatbelt light above goes off. We hope you enjoy your flight and thank you for flying British Airways,” the flight attendant called into the intercom before turning it off and taking her seat at the front of the plane.

Nick groaned, licking his dry lips. His mouth felt like it was stuffed with cotton and his stomach wouldn’t stop churning, he generally had a high tolerance to alcohol, but he’d over done it last night. Drawing in a deep breath, he closed his eyes, trying desperately to will the nausea away, nothing doing. Nick had intended on taking some aspirin before he left the hotel this morning, but he’d been in such a rush after sleeping through his wake up call he’d barely made it on time. Now his head was pounding and the sounds on the plane were driving him crazy.

He took a moment to familiarize himself with the surroundings. He’d been in his share of planes, and always liked to scope out where everything was, not that it’d changed since he was last in a plane, but he felt safer. Scanning, he found both emergency exits and then looked at the pocket in front of him that had that stupid informational card with the information about what to do in the unlikely event of an accident. Shifting in his seat the best he could with the seatbelt around his waist, he found the bathroom and looked at it longingly. Nick hoped that he wouldn’t have to become too familiar with that in a few minutes. Turning back around he stared straight a head, clutching at the handles of his chair as the propellers started up, his stomach rumbling. Nick brought his hand up to his mouth, groaning. Shit, he’d really fucked up last night.

Despite being late, he had to tell the girl that was in bed next to him that she had to get out, that he had to be on a plane in twenty minutes. She hadn’t been to pleased with him, she kept asking if he’d call as she stuffed her number into his hand. Nick had tried to assure her that he’d call, he didn’t like lying, but he’d do what ever it took to get her off his back. It got to the point where he had to walk away, generally he wasn’t like that with the girls he met at clubs, but she wouldn’t let up and she was smothering him, he didn’t like to be smothered, hell, he couldn’t even remember her name. Nick pulled the piece of paper out of his pocket and stared at it, rolling his eyes, he shoved it back in. She hadn’t written her name; she must not have been that serious, not that it mattered to him either way. They were all the same, they’d fawn all over him and then head back to his room, they never seemed to care, it was as if one night stands were the norm for them. Nick was one to talk though. Well hell, if they didn’t care, why should he?

Resting his head back, he closed his eyes, trying to focus on anything except the rumbling in his stomach and the loud, annoying sounds around him. In a few hours he’d be home, it wouldn’t happen soon enough as far as he was concerned. Nick was dying to be back in his own bed. He had so much to do when he got home, a few interviews lined up, some radio appearances and all that shit. What he really wanted to do was go home and sleep for three days straight, but the likeliness of that happening was slim to none. Sighing, he remembered that one interview that was still in the works right before he left, he’d have to call his manager and see if anything had been finalized in the month since he’d left.

Shaking his head, he opened his eyes, he couldn’t just focus on one thing, his thoughts were running ramped. He needed to sleep, he closed his eyes again and it felt as if he were spinning, the nausea rising. Slowly he opened his eyes again, wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans, trying to breathe his way through the queasiness. It wasn’t working. Resting a hand on his stomach, he wished desperately for some mints or gum, anything to calm his stomach. He considered asking the stewardess for a can of ginger ale, but just then the plane started moving, backing out of the spot. He coughed, bad idea, he couldn’t stop, his head swam. Luckily he was sitting alone, reaching out, he dug into the pocket in front of him, grabbing the motion sickness bag and tossing it on the seat next to him, just in case.

Nick closed his eyes again as the plane pulled out and started taxing the runway. If he could focus on trying to sleep and not on the sounds around him, and most certainty not on the movement of the plane, he’d be fine…just fine. He held his breath as the pilot came on a short time later reminding everyone that they should have their seatbelts on at this point and prepare for take off. Nick was prepared all right; grabbing the bag on the seat next to him just as the plane sped down the runway.