- Text Size +
Chapter 56


One Month Later…

Nick tossed his jeans in the growing pile by his closet; he had to get around to doing some wash soon, he was running out of clean underwear. Frowning, he walked over to his drawer, pulling out a pair of boxers. He was just pulling them up, when the familiar chime of his IM sounded and he turned, smiling as he sat down on the bed, pulling his laptop onto his lap.

Freesialover: Hey!
Chucktaylor11: Hey girl!
Freesialover: How are you this evening?
Chucktaylor11: I’m alright, just getting ready to head out in a bit.
Freesialover: Aww, want me to let ya go?
Chucktaylor11: Nah, not leaving for a while, you’re fine.

They’d been talking more and more frequently, much to Veronica’s surprise. At least two or three times a week. She wasn’t sure how he did it; he always seemed so busy when she talked to him, always going out somewhere. He seemed busier than usual here lately; his twenty fifth birthday was coming up in a few days. Veronica wondered what he had planned for it.

Freesialover: Great! So…your birthday is coming up in a few days, whatcha got planned?
Chucktaylor11: well, gonna go out with some friends to a club or two. I’ll probably do something with one of the guys too, not quite sure yet.
Freesialover: That sonds nice, I hope you have fun. I’m gonna try to send you a card.
Chucktaylor11: aww honey, you don’t have to do that!
Freesialover: I know, but I want to.
Chucktaylor11: Well in that case, let me give you my actual home address. I think I’m just gonna close out the po box, it’s too much bother and we’ve been talking for awhile now anyway, so it’s cool.
Freesialover: Uhh Nick, don’t close the box just yet.
Chucktaylor11: how come?
Freesialover: Well it was supposed to be a surprise, but I already sent your card out. So you should get it fairly soon, in plenty of time for your b-day I imagine, if not the day after at the latest. So you’re gonna need to check it before you close it.

Nick sat there a bit startled and a lot embarrassed for some reason. She barely knew him and yet she sent him a card. Granted she was a fan and he’d gotten a lot of birthday gifts from fans before, but this felt different. It felt…real, like there was meaning because well, now that he thought about it, she did know him. She knew more about him than a typical fan; it was almost like she wasn’t even a fan anymore. He couldn’t count how many times over the last few months he found himself talking to her, forgetting the circumstances of their meeting.

Chucktaylor11: Thank you Veronica

Veronica felt her heart do a little dip, she wasn’t sure why. It’s not as if he’d said anything special, but she couldn’t seem to stop the blush from creeping into her cheeks. Clearing her throat, she started to type.

Freesialover: Eh, no big deal really. I’m sure you get tons and tons of birthday cards from your fans.
Chucktaylor11: yeah I do, but you’re different.

That stopped her, she stared at the screen. What did that mean? Different? How?

Freesialover: I am?
Chucktaylor11: yeah you are.
IFreesialover: hope that’s a good thing LOL!
Chucktaylor11: Don’t worry, it is.

Her heart dropped again and she shifted in her seat, trying to shrug off an unfamiliar feeling now coursing through her. She was different and it was a good thing.

Chucktaylor11: Well, I guess I’m gonna head out, gotta meet up with ma friends.
Freesialover: Oh ok, hey…Nick I wanna give you something.
Chucktaylor11: Girl you already gave me a card, what else is there? lol
Freesialover: My phone number.

Veronica wasn’t sure what had prompted her to want to do it. It was not as if he’d actually call or anything, but she had to put it out there. She supposed that part of her had longed to try to take the friendship to another level, that’s if he even considered her a friend. Then again he had suggested he give her his home address, but he hadn’t as of yet. She hoped it wasn’t too bold of her to offer her number, and that he didn’t feel pressure.

Chucktaylor11: Ohhh yeah? You tryin’ to hit on me or somthin’?
Freesialover: LOL Maybe, is it working?
Chucktaylor11: I dunno, why don’t you put that number up there and see. *grins*

Chuckling, Veronica put her number in. She would see.

Chucktaylor11: Thank ya much. Oh, I almost forgot, here’s my address…

She struggled to find a scrap piece of paper, quickly jotting the address down.

Chucktaylor11: Just…ya know, don’t give it out to anyone please.
Freesialover: My lips are sealed!
Chucktaylor11: Nah don’t do that, you’ll make all the guys upset.
Freesialover: How do you figure?
Chucktaylor11: well, how they gonna kiss you if you’ve got your lips pressed all together?
Freesialover: LOL! Believe me Nick, there’s no guy wanting to kiss me anyway, so I think I’m safe.
Chucktaylor11: I don’t believe that.
Freesialover: Believe it, it’s true.

Nick knew by now not to push, even though he was dying to get into it more with her, he’d leave it for now.

Chucktaylor11: Mmmhmm…sure. Anyway, I’m off. We’ll talk soon right?
Freesialover: Sure!
Chucktaylor11: Aight then.
Freesialover: Well have a happy birthday if I don’t talk to you before then.
Chucktaylor11: I will thanks. C-ya!
Freesialover: Bye Nick!

Veronica closed out of the IM and shut down. She looked at the calendar; there were still a few days before his birthday, which gave her just enough time. Shutting her computer down, she quickly changed clothes grabbed her purse and headed out her room, shutting the TV off before making her way out.