- Text Size +
Chapter 66


“I’ve been dying to see this movie, but none of my friends wanted to go,” James explained, pulling his coat off and draping it over the back of his seat.

“Me too, but my friends are pretty busy, and I don’t wanna go to the movies by myself,” Veronica explained, trying hard to relax. She’d been tense from the moment he’d picked her up, she knew James could tell, and he was trying hard to put her at ease.

“Me either. Hey, do you want some popcorn or candy or anything?”

“No thanks, I’m all set.”

“You sure?”

“Yup, but you go ahead if you want something.”

“Nah, it’s no fun to eat alone, it‘s almost as lonely as coming to the movies alone.”

Veronica laughed, “That’s true. I don’t know if there’s anything more depressing than that.”

“Well I’m glad you asked me out, now we can see it and we don’t have to be alone,” James winked.

She could feel her cheeks burning, “I’m glad that you’re glad.”

“Yeah, well I’ve been waiting for you to ask me.”

Veronica looked over at him quickly, “Waiting?”

“Oh yeah, I thought you were gonna a few times, but you never did. I thought you weren’t interested.”

She felt her heart drop, “Oh, well no, I was interested.”

James smiled, “That’s good to know. So, what made you actually do it this time?”

“A friend told me I should at least try.”

“They were right.”

“I just didn’t know what to say, or if you’d even be interested.”

“I’m interested, definitely interested. Was just waiting for you.”

Veronica slowly released a breath, finally relaxing as the lights dimmed.

Two Hours Later…

She shut and locked the door before slumping against it, a dopey smile on her lips. Somehow she managed to sit through the movie and keep breathing, and it’d been wonderful. His cologne had filled the air and her head and she was sure her heart had stopped the moment his arm had circled her shoulders.

What she remembered of the movie, it’d been good. It’d been hard to focus on anything but the guy sitting next to her. He kept whispering silly things in her ear about the movie and soon the fear and tension had melted away. She’d been sad when the lights had finally come up and they made their way out of the theater.

Veronica made her way into her bedroom, quickly undressing and redressing in her pj’s before grabbing her cell phone, bringing up Nick’s number and pressing the number and waiting while it rang.

“Veronica?”

“Hey!”

“Hey girl! Just getting home?”

“Yeah.”

“Oooh, so how’d it go?” Nick chuckled, “Been thinking about you all day, dying to know what happened and wondering how it was going.”

“Ohh Nick it was great, it really was.”

Nick smiled, flipping the TV off and heading up to his bedroom, flopping down on his bed, getting comfortable, he‘d been trying to force himself to go to bed for the last hour, but had been too lazy to get up from the couch. Resting back against the headboard, he listened as Veronica spoke about her date. He could hear the relief and excitement in her voice.

“Aww it sounds like it.”

“He’s so nice. He was cracking jokes throughout the movie and he even put his arm around me.”

“Ahh, did he do the old yawn thing?”

“Nah, he just did it, like it was natural.”

“Ooo, he’s smooth.”

“Yeah, he is,” Veronica sighed.

Nick blinked; she really was head over heels for this guy. There was a moment, he would’ve not noticed it had it not been so quiet and still where he was sure he felt his heart drop, when a shiver of unexpected fear ran down his spine. He brushed it off, it was nothing.

“So what else happened?”

“Well he said, right before the movie started, that he’d been waiting for me to ask him out.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, that he thought I was going to a few times, but thought that I wasn’t interested when I didn’t.”

“Wow.”

“I know! I told him that I was interested, that I just didn’t know what to say to him or if he’d be interested.”

“Uh huh…”

“He said, get this. He said that he was interested, definitely interested, just waiting for me,” Veronica squealed.

Nick chuckled, and there it was again, that feeling, only stronger this time. Fear and something else, something he shouldn’t be feeling at all where she was concerned.

“We’re going to another movie tomorrow night!”

“Aww thatta girl! See, all ya needed was to get the ball rolling.”

“Well its all because of you Nick. I wouldn’t have done it if you hadn’t convinced me. Everyone had been trying, but you’re the only one who was successful. Thanks.”

“Nothing to thank me for, I was glad to help. You just needed a little positive encouragement.”

“It was more than that…you’re very convincing.”

“Charming, I can be very charming,” Nick grinned.

“Don’t I know it.”

“Ok, so you’ll call me tomorrow and let know what happens right?”

“Absolutely!”

“Cool!”

“Alright, I’m gonna let ya go. Gonna get read for bed, I’m wiped out.”

“I bet. Well take care Veronica, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Night Nick!”

Nick flipped his phone closed and rested back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. She was so excited, so happy. He was glad for that, but he couldn’t help but feel a bit worried, scared. If this worked out and she ended up dating this guy, would she still talk to him? Would they ever…

He sat up quickly, slipping off the bed. He wouldn’t think about it, if he didn’t think about it, it wouldn’t happen. Rubbing at his eyes, Nick made his way out his room and back downstairs. He wasn’t so tired anymore.