- Text Size +
Chapter 68


A Few Weeks Later…

“See ya later Veronica,” Carla called.

Veronica gave her a wave as she started out of the department, untying her apron.

“Hey Veronica.”

She stopped, lifting her head, a sad smile spreading over her lips.

“Hey James.”

“I was wondering, can I talk to you a minute?”

“Yeah, let me just punch out, I’ll be right back.”

She made her way past him and over to the double doors. She’d been dreading this day for weeks; today was James last day at work. He’d be leaving in two days and the more she thought about it, the more it hurt. They hadn’t gone out on any dates recently, but they’d talked at work and on the phone at her insistence. James hadn’t wanted to hurt her anymore, but she was determined to show she supported him. It’d been nice, getting to know him and talking with him more. It was easy now that she knew nothing was going to happen, it was with quiet acceptance, that she deepened their friendship.

Nick had been amazing throughout. He called often to see how she was, and he was always trying to make her laugh or cheer her up. He seemed to understand how hard it was and even still seemed to feel guilty for how things turned out, despite Veronica’s constant insistence that she was glad he’d helped her. It was through all this, that their friendship had grown deeper as well. He seemed to be growing more comfortable with her and her with him. He’d been talking more about his family and the things going on, and her about her family, her issues with her Dad. Amazingly, or maybe not so amazingly, he understood. It was refreshing knowing there was something out there she could talk to who knew what it was like, what it felt like.

After punching out, she made her way back over to the deli; James gave her a small smile and waved her over to the end of the counter.

“So I guess this is it huh?”

“Yeah I guess so. I wish things were different, I wish we could happen. I’m sorry for how things turned out Veronica.”

“I’m not, I’m really not. It’s been great getting to talk to you, getting to know you. I never would’ve done it before. I’m glad that we’re friends now, better friends.”

“Me too.”

“Can I get your email address and your home address? Ya know, so we can keep in touch, if that’s ok.”

She smiled, “Of course.”

“Ok great, let me get some paper.”

After giving him her address, email and cell number, she gave him one last hug.

“You take care of yourself ok?”

“I will, and please keep in touch. Once I get settled and all, I’ll give you my cell number too so you can call.”

“Sounds good. Well good luck James, and…thanks again.”

Reaching out, he pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. “Thank you.”

Suddenly there was a loud “awwww” coming from the behind them. They turned to find everyone staring at them, laughing.

“Ya’ll are just jealous cause you wanted a hug and aren’t getting one!” James laughed.

Veronica laughed, rubbing at her cheeks.

“Well I’d better get going. I’ll talk to ya later V.”

“Bye James.”

She stared at him a moment later before leaning, kissing him gently on the cheek before turning and heading out, wiping at her eyes.