- Text Size +
Chapter 70


“Man, another year older,” Veronica’s Mom sighed as she sat to the table.

“No, another year wiser!”

Her Mom Ginnie, groaned, rolling her eyes.

“And hey, I’m cooking ya dinner, that’s a plus right?” Veronica smiled, making her way around the kitchen.

“Of course it is, you didn’t have to do this you know.”

Veronica pulled the pan from the oven and set it on the stove, “I know Mom, but I wanted to, you deserve it.”

“It’s just a birthday, another day of the year.”

“No way! It’s the day you were born, I’m glad it happened.”

Ginnie laughed, “Thanks Veron.”

Veronica couldn’t believe her Mom still called her that after all these years. It wasn’t anything she ever told anyone and never planned to. She was glad to be there celebrating her Mom’s birthday, if she didn’t, her Mom wouldn’t do anything special for it.

“I can’t believe it’s the end of the month already. Well at least I know that after my birthday, spring will be around the corner.”

“Yeah, it is pretty cool to have your birthday at the end of March.”

“Eh I suppose, no big deal.”

“Mom, stop that! We‘ve been through this already.”

“Yeah yeah…”

“Ok, dinner’s done!”

“Here, I can start setting the stuff out.”

“Mo-om! I’m gonna do that!”

“Aww let me help!”

“No way! You stay seated, it’s your day, you’re not supposed to work.”

“Veronica geeze!”

“Hush!” She mumbled, grabbing a knife, starting to cut into the pot roast she’d prepared.

She was just starting to fix the plates, when her cell phone rang. Grabbing it, she flipped it open, not bothering to check the ID.

“Hello?”

“Well hello.”

She blinked, “Hey Dad.”

Ginnie looked over at her suddenly, raising an eyebrow.

“Did I call at bad time?”

“Well I’m making Mom dinner for her birthday; can I call you later this evening?”

“Oh? Is someone telling you not to talk to me?”

“No no, nothing like that, I’m just getting ready to serve it and…”

“It’s ok; I don’t wanna keep you from anything.”

“Dad stop it! It‘s not like that,” Veronica practically snapped.

“Whoa sorry. Hey look I’ll let you go and if you have the time or the desire, you call me back.”

“Dad…” she sighed.

“I’ll talk to you later.”

“Dad!”

“Bye”

And with that he hung up. She flipped the phone closed, sighing in frustration.

“What’d he say?”

Veronica shook her head, “Nothing, it’s not important.”

“Don’t let him do that to you Veronica, don’t let him make you feel guilty.”

She said nothing, just continued to prepare the plates. He did, as always, make her feel guilty. Maybe she should’ve talked to him, but…this was her Mom’s day. She couldn’t just ignore her Mom to talk to her Dad, but she didn’t want her Dad to think she didn’t want to talk to him either.

“Veronica?”

“It’s cool Mom, don’t worry about it. Let’s just enjoy dinner; I made you a chocolate cake too!”

Ginnie looked at her, frowning.