- Text Size +
Chapter 80


Nick turned the knob and poked his head in, “Hello?”

“Come on in!” Veronica called from the bathroom.

Nick made his way in and shut the door. “You must’ve been moving pretty fast to buzz me in and get back in the bathroom before I got to the door.”

“Yeah well I wanna hurry, I don’t mean to keep you waiting and hey…you’re on time! Early even!”

He grinned, “Yeah I know, can you believe it? I had them wake me an hour and a half early so I could shower and all and still have time.”

“I’m proud of you,” she laughed as she made her way out of the bathroom, putting an earring on in the process.

“You look very nice,” Nick smiled, taking in her skirt and light blouse.

“Thanks, so do you. I like the shirt.”

“It’s not too casual you think?” Nick questioned, looking down at his simple light blue polo shirt and then at his grey khaki pants.

“Not at all, it’s just my mom, believe me, she’s not that formal.”

“Do you think she’ll be dressed up?”

“I can guarantee it. Once I told her I had a friend coming, which eliminated the whole casual thing.”

“Aww, I don’t want her to be uncomfortable.”

“She won’t be, I remember when I was at home and my brother and his girlfriend would come over and she’d get dressed up. I mean, she wasn’t in a dress or anything, but a nice pair of dress slacks and a sweater or whatever. Don’t even worry about it.”

“So…you told her?”

“That I was bringing someone, yes. That it’s you in particular, no.”

“Why not?”

Veronica grinned, “She wouldn’t have believed me.”

“Ahh I see.”

“Yeah, it’ll be a nasty little surprise for her,” she smirked.

“Veronica that’s so mean!”

“Nah it’s cool, she’ll be taken off guard, but it’ll be alright. I have to warn you about her though.”

This didn’t sound good.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, my mom’s not like…typical moms.”

Nick frowned, “How so?”

Veronica made her way into her bedroom to grab her purse and then back out again, “Let’s just say she’s unique. My friends all love her to death, she’s just…she’s a lot of fun. She’s been to a couple of concerts for you guys. She…ya know, she’s not like a typical mom, that’s all I can say.”

“That’s a good thing though.”

She smiled, putting her sandals on.

“Stop trying to scare me.”

“Sorry sorry!” She chuckled.

“I bet you are, you just like to see me squirm.”

“Have you…met a lot of your ex-girlfriends mom’s?” Veronica asked cautiously.

Nick hesitated a moment, “A few, a lot of the time we never lasted long enough to get to the meeting the parents phase.”

She nodded, standing. “Ready?”

“Whenever you are.”

Veronica grabbed her keys and they headed out.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Veronica! Hi, come on in, did you bring your friend?” Ginnie asked.

“Hi mom, yeah I did. I want you to meet Nick, Nick this is my mom.”

Nick stepped into view and smiled, offering his hand. “Nice to meet you Ms. Peterson.”

The look on Veronica’s mothers face was comical to say the least.

“Nick? You…you look a lot like Nick Carter.”

He chuckled, “That’s be cause I am.”

“Oh! Oh, well hello! It’s nice to meet you too!” Ginnie stuttered, reaching out to shake his hand. “Please come in!” She stepped aside to let them through before shutting the door.

“Thank you for having me Ms. Peterson,” Nick smiled, turning to look at her.

“It’s no problem! Please, call me Ginnie, Ms. Peterson is too formal. Make yourself comfortable, the dinner is just about ready,” she smiled.

“I’ll help mom,” Veronica called.

“You will not, it’s your birthday, just sit down and relax.”

“Then I’ll help,” Nick stated.

“You don’t have to do that, you’re the guest.”

“I don’t mind, no problem,” he smiled, making his way into the kitchen.

“Well thank you. Wow, I wish Veronica had told me we’d be having someone famous here, geeze.”

“Aww it’s no big deal Ginnie really.”

“How did you and Veronica meet anyway?” She asked, handing him some plates to set the table with.

“Well, Veronica wrote to me through my fan club and I happened to get a hold of her letter and we’ve been writing and emailing back and forth for almost a year,” Nick explained.

Ginnie’s eyes widen hurrying out of the kitchen and over to Veronica, “You’ve been talking to him for almost a year and you never told me?!”

“Sorry Mom! For about three months I wasn’t even sure it was actually him!” Veronica laughed.

“I just can’t believe you didn’t tell me! Wow!”

Nick struggled not to laugh as he set the plates on the table.

Ginnie looked over at Nick and smiled, “She used to keep me informed about everything you guys did. Anytime there was any new news or gossip or whatever, she’d tell me. Now that she’s living on her own, she withholds information.”

“Mo-om!” Veronica blushed.

“See that, she’s mean that way,” Ginnie grinned, handing Nick a few glasses.

“Hey! I am not! I didn’t know you were still interested that’s all.”

“Sure,” Ginnie groaned, placing the sliver wear down before pulling a huge pan out of the oven. “I do still ask about them often.”

“Mom, can we not talk about this now please?”

“What, are you embarrassed cause Nick’s here? I think he’d be happy to know that an older woman like me thinks they’re great. I really love you guys you know, I love your music,” Ginnie exclaimed as she finished setting stuff on the table.

“Aww well thank you, it’s cool that all different kinds of people like our music, that’s what we really want,” Nick smiled, as he set a glass on the table by each plate.

“Well you’re all a bunch of hotties too!” Ginnie winked.

“Mo-om!!!! Cut it out!”

Nick could actually feel himself blushing, “Thanks.”

“Ok, now that I’ve embarrassed the both of you enough, please sit and we’ll eat.”

“What did you make?” Nick asked.

“Veronica picked stuffed shells.”

“My Mom makes the BEST stuffed shells,” Veronica announced as she came over to sit.

“Stuffed shells, don’t know that I’ve ever had them.”

Veronica and Ginnie both looked over at him.

“You’re kidding,” Ginnie said incredulously.

“Nope, I’ve had a lot of different food, but not stuffed shells.”

“Wow, well you’re in for a treat,” Veronica stated.

“They’re not that great Veronica. It’s kind of like lasagna, only a little smaller.”

“They are! No one makes them like you, trust me Nick, they’re good.”

“Well you’ve got me excited to try them.”

“I hope you like them. Hand me your plates please,” Ginnie said.
Veronica handed her mom her plate and then Nick, Ginnie scooped a large amount on each plate then handed them back. Nick took Ginnie’s plate and handed it to her and she put a small amount on her plate and then grabbed the basket of bread and set it down on the table followed by a large bowl of salad.

“Dig in everyone please,” Ginnie smiled.

Nick took a bite of his and groaned, “Ohh that is good.”

“See, I told you,” Veronica grinned.

“Wow, this is really good.”

“Thank you! They’re really easy to make, Veronica can give you the recipe.”

Nick looked over at her, “You cook?”

“Sure, Mom’s taught me how to make all kinds of things. I have to be in the mood, but yeah, I love to cook and bake and whatever.”

“When Veronica’s father and I were still married, I did a lot of cooking. Now that it’s just me and even when Veronica was still living with me, we didn’t eat huge meals, only on holidays. But I taught Veronica how to make just about everything I make. It’s so hard now, with work and all, I come home and I don’t feel like cooking you know?” Ginnie explained.

“Yeah, I understand that. A lot of them I’m always running around doing interviews or recording, I don’t take the time to cook for myself either, always eating fast food.” Nick announced.

It showed in his case unfortunately, he’d eat a little more than usual, and later he always knew about it, not just him but the guys and the general public.

“Yeah, it’s so easy to just stop and pick up something quick. It’s hard to stay healthy too though, everything is so expensive,” Ginnie sighed.

Nick nodded, he knew how lucky he was to be able to afford to go to gyms and have personal trainer, but for the average person, that kind of thing was a luxury.

“Where do you work Ginnie?”

“I work at an infirmary.”

Nick frowned, “I’m sorry, but what’s that?”

Veronica grinned, he looked thoroughly confused. He seemed to be enjoying himself, she was worried that he’d be bored or uncomfortable, but he didn’t appear to be.

“It’s a place for retired nuns and priests who are sick and unable to take care of themselves. I do physical therapy and I’m also a hair dresser.”

“Oh wow, do you work at a salon?”

“Nope, I go to the homes of seniors who can’t get out and do their hair there.”

“That’s really nice,” Nick smiled.

“Yeah I like it. Eventually I’d like to get out of working at the infirmary, I’ve been there for a few years and it’s getting harder and harder. I love to do hair and that’s what I’d really like to do now.”

He nodded, “It’s no fun when you don’t enjoy what you’re doing.”

“Exactly.”

They finished up a short time later, had dessert and Nick and Veronica helped with the dishes before they moved into the living room where Ginnie gave Veronica a couple of books and a movie she’d been wanting. They chatted for a bit before deciding it was time to leave.

“Well thank you again for having me over on short notice Ginnie,” Nick announced.

“It’s my pleasure, anytime.”

“Thanks mom and thanks for dinner and the books and movie,” Veronica smiled, leaning in to hug her mother tightly.

“You’re welcome; I wish it could be more.”

“It’s enough mom, thanks.”

Nick bit his lip before blurting out, “Would you cut my hair Ginnie?”

Veronica looked over at him, blinking rapidly.

“Excuse me?”

“Could you give me a hair cut? I really don’t want to have to wait till I go home, this way I’ll have someone I at least know to do it. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate; I just want to shorten it in the back a little.”

“Uh…sure if you have the time.”

Nick looked over at Veronica.

“Sure! Fine by me.”

Fifteen minutes later, Veronica and Nick said their goodbyes again and made their way out to Veronica’s car.

“Ya know, that was nice of you Nick.”

“What?” He asked as he slipped into the car.

“Asking my mom to cut your hair.”

“Eh, it needed to be done.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick got out of the car and stretched.

“Whew, I’m stuffed.”

“Me too, it’s all very filling.”

“Well I guess I should get going.”

“Hey, why don’t you come in and hang out for a bit? It’s still really early,” Veronica offered.

“Yeah ok, sounds like fun. Hang on; I gotta get something from my car.”

Veronica made her way up and inside, she unlocked the security door just as Nick made his way back in. They headed in, she unlocked the door and they entered her apartment.

“It’s always good to come home,” Veronica sighed, unhooking her sandals and pushing them off. “Let me quickly get undressed and I’ll be back out.” She hurried off to her room while Nick went to sit on the couch.

He’d really enjoyed himself, he liked Veronica’s mother, she was right though, she was different. He envied the relationship she had with her mom; he wished things were like that with him and his mom. Sighing, he let his head fall back to the couch, for someone like him who everyone thought had everything, he was really lacking what counted.

“Nick? Are you ok?”

He lowered his head to find Veronica staring at him; she’d changed into shorts and a t-shirt. “Yeah I’m alright, just thinking. C’mere and sit with me,” he smiled, patting the spot next to him.

Veronica walked over and sat, “Wanna watch some TV?”

“Sure,” he replied, moving in closer to her, his arm draped around the back of the couch.

“Let’s see what’s on,” she flipped the TV on and started scanning through the channels.

“I noticed before, you have all the Harry Potter movies don’t you?”

“Yup, hardcore fan remember.”

“I’ve only seen the first two, never got to see the third one. Isn’t the fourth one coming out soon?”

“Yeah, in a few months, I’m so excited. It’s my favorite book.”

“I’ll have to see it.”

“Ya know if you want, we can watch all three of them tomorrow if you want. We’ll have to get kind of an early start cause they’re long and all, but if you’re up to it…”

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Cool, that’s what we’ll do then.”

“Hey…can I talk to you for a minute.”

Veronica turned the volume down on the TV and then turned to look at him, “Sure, what’s up?”

“Well…it’s just…hang on.”

He stood, walking over to the door and grabbing a medium sized gift bag and bringing it back over to the couch, he pulled a long white envelope out of the bag before sitting down, turning to face her.

“Here,” he announced, holding out the gift bag out to her. “Happy Birthday!”

Her eyes widened, “You didn’t have to get me anything Nick!”

“I know, but I wanted to. You sent me so many nice things for my birthday, I wanted to reciprocate. By the way, I’ve started some of the poems; you’re good, really good.”

Veronica blushed, looking away. “Thanks.”

“Well here…take it.” Nick shook the bag in front of her.

“Nick…”

“Come oooooon!”

Chuckling, Veronica reached out to take the bag, setting it on her lap. She hadn’t been expecting anything, and here she was with a rather heavy bag from him sitting on her lap.

“Go on, look inside!” Nick grinned.

Reaching in, she pulled the colorful tissue out and looked inside. There were several bottles of something. She pulled one out and turned it so she could look at the label and gasped.

“Freesia! You found Freesia and it’s from Bath and Body Works! How?!”

He shrugged, “I have my ways, my connections.”

She grabbed another and another and another until she had six bottles of the perfume on her lap. “ Six! Oh god Nick, you have no idea how happy this makes me. Thank you so much! I’m at the end I mean the very end of my last bottle. I’ve been having to take the hose thing and run it over my clothes. I don’t believe this.”

Nick chuckled, “You’re very very welcome.”

“Wow,” she sighed, putting the bottles back in the bag.

“Ok, we’re not finished yet…”

“Nick no more! Believe me that’s plenty!”

“Nope…here. This will appeal to the fan in you,” he handed her the white envelope he’d taken from the bag.

She took the envelope looking at him a moment before tarring it open, pulling out a square of heavy plastic. Turning it over she read it, her eyes widening.


Backstreet Boys
Never Gone Tour 05’

Veronica Peterson
ALL ACCESS


In the center was a place for her picture.

“It’s what we give crew members. You can get into any concert with that pass. It’s official and legal. You can get into any area any of the staff or crew members can. I want you to meet the guys when we come to Buffalo. It’ll be fun! You can come backstage, meet the crew, hang out with us and watch the whole concert from either backstage or in the pit. I know Leighanne will be there for the first few shows with Baylee, and they usually sit in the pit, so you wouldn’t be alone. So yeah, you’ll be able to meet the both of them and I think Kristin will be there too. And hey, you can come to another show too. You don’t have to worry about tickets or anything either.” Nick finished.

“N-Nick I…”

He smiled, “You can’t not take it. I gave it to you it’s yours now. Inside the envelope is the cord you put it on so you can wear it around your neck. Don‘t forget it for the show, that‘s your ticket in. I‘ll put your name on the guest list just incase, but if you have that, you‘ll be all set. Just make sure you get a picture to put on it for ID.”

Veronica let out a breath, her heart was racing. She couldn’t believe it, she couldn’t. “Th-thanks Nick, so much. Whoa this is…huge.”

“Alright, there’s one last thing.”

“No, nothing else. I don’t think I could take it.

“One more,” he reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a long thin box, handing it to her. “This is for…being my friend.”

She stared hard at the box, “Nick…”

He reached out and put it in her hand, “Open it.”

Breathing hard, she grasped the box tightly, hesitating a moment before opening it, a whimper escaping her lips. Resting on soft velvet was a bracelet.

“Nick…I…it’s beautiful. Oh…I can’t take this.”

“Yes you can. I want you to have it. Please.”

“It’s…it’s too much. Nick really.”

“Veronica…”

She looked up at him.

“You’ve been such a great friend to me over these last few months. I wanted to do this for you, to give back a little of what you’ve given me. Please take it.”

Veronica looked down at the bracelet. It was just right, exactly what she would’ve picked out. It had to have cost a small fortune.

“Here…try it on.” He took the box from her and pulled the bracelet out and hooked it on her wrist.

She stared at the bracelet; it was so elegant and pretty, everything she felt she wasn’t. Tears burned at the backs of her eyes. He was so generous, all of this for being his friend. Slowly she looked up at him.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied softly, staring at her intently.

She didn’t think, just acted on her first instinct, reaching out suddenly and pulling him into her arms, hugging him tightly. “Thank you, for everything,” she whispered.

Nick let out a breath, wrapping his arms around her, hugging her close to his body. He’d been waiting for this moment, not wanting to come on too strong, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. He’d lost count of the nights he’d laid in bed dreaming about this moment, trying to imagine what it’d feel like to hold her in his arms. He breathed in the scent of her hair, nuzzling her neck gently. It was better than anything he could’ve imagined.

“You’re welcome Veronica.”

Slowly Veronica pulled away, blushing a bit.

“Sorry, I got a bit overwhelmed.”

“It’s alright honey, I love hugs.”

“That‘s good to know, I‘ll have to do it more often.”

His eyes met hers, “Yes you will.”

She swallowed hard, looking away.

“Well it’s late, I’m gonna get going.”

Veronica nodded, trying to compose herself. “Thank you for coming to dinner today.”

“Thanks for inviting me, your mom is great,” Nick smiled, standing heading for the door.

“She’s a character that’s for sure.”

She led him to the door, unlocking it and opening it. “So I’ll see you tomorrow at what time?”

“How about eleven?”

“Yeah ok. I can make us a late breakfast.”

“Ohhh, I’m dying to try some of your cooking,” Nick winked.

“Great! What would you like?”

“Surprise me.”

“Ok then, I will.”

“Have a good night, and happy birthday,” Nick smiled.

“Thanks Nick, you too.”

He hesitated a moment before leaning in, kissing her cheek lightly before turning and heading off.

Veronica shut and locked the door, slumping back against it.

Oh, she was in trouble.