- Text Size +
A/N: I just wanted to drop a quick line and thank everyone for their comments and reviews for this story. It's so appreciated, I'm so glad everyone likes it so far and is so anxious for updates. I know how annoying it is that I don't update as often as I used to, but since I'm so close to where I actually am as far as writing goes, the less I update. The more I write and the further I get ahead, the more often I can update. Hang in there all! Thanks again and please continue to let me know what you think!

Chapter 88


Veronica unlocked the door and made her way inside.

“Whew it’s good to be back, I love to be out in the sun, but it is kinda draining.”

“Yeah I know, we swam a lot,” Nick smiled.

Once he had her shirt off and helped her to relax, she was actually a lot of fun in the water. They swam and splashed around for hours, her insecurities seemed to melt away suddenly and she looked liked she was enjoying herself.

“We did, I’m wiped out. Mmm, feel up to watching a little TV before we go to bed?” She asked as she set the basket she’d brought with them on the counter in the kitchen.

“Sure, sounds good.”

“Alright, I’m gonna go get in the shower and you can see if you can find anything good on.”

“Cool, if it‘s ok, I‘d like to get in after you,” Nick responded.

“Ok, that‘s fine,” she smiled and headed into her bedroom, gathering up her clothes before heading into the bathroom.

Nick flipped the TV on and then pulled his phone out of his pocket, checking his messages. There was one from Kevin, he listened to it and then called him back.

“Hey man.”

“Nick! It’s about damn time, what’s up? AJ said he talked to you a few days ago.”

“Just chillin’ at my friends house.”

“Ohh right, Veronica.”

“That’s right.”

“So…how is she? How are things?”

“She’s great, things are fine ya know. Just hanging out.”

“And she’s your friend right?”

Nick narrowed his eyes, “Yeah she is.”

Kevin sighed, “Nick, you really don’t need to be distracted right now.”

“Distracted?”

“Yeah, our tour is coming up shortly and you don’t need this…friend to keep you from this.”

“She’s not, she won’t,” Nick could feel his anger rising, this was why he didn’t want to say anything to any of them.

“I don’t understand why you’re hiding her. What’s the big secret? It was like pulling teeth for you to even tell us her name. If she’s JUST your friend, then it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“It isn’t a problem and she is my friend, what difference does it make Kev? I’ll be there in a few days, you don’t need to worry bout me.”

“Well ok, I guess I’ll see you then.”

“Yeah, alright, see ya.”

Nick hung up and slumped back. Leave it to Kevin to fuck everything over. Where did he get off telling him not to get distracted? What was it with everyone thinking he was distracting himself? Granted it’d been the case most of the time, but he could safely say that this time, he was clear headed. He was focused on what was in front of him, or who was in front of him rather. He turned his head and looked over at the bathroom door, sighing heavily.

She was his friend, she was a great person. He knew he didn’t really deserve anyone like her; she’d been far too kind to him. He really didn’t want to screw this up, he couldn’t screw it up. He closed his eyes when he heard the door to the bathroom open.

“The bathroom is all yours Nick!” Veronica called out as she headed into her bedroom.

Slowly he opened his eyes; it was so hard to want what you couldn’t have. Standing, he grabbed his clothes from his bag and headed into the bathroom.

Veronica made her way back out and headed to the couch, pulling the cushions off and pulled the bed out for Nick. She’d really enjoyed herself today, once she got past feeling self conscious in front of him in her suit, she’d actually been able to have fun. He was a great guy to hang out with, and more than once she’d found herself staring wistfully at him, wishing for the impossible. It’d been all she could take to not touch him or kiss him the way she wanted. To her, he was off limits. There was always something holding her back, something that told her she just wasn’t worthy of him. He could break her heart she knew it, and part of her didn’t care. Part of her just wanted to feel if only for a moment, that she was the one he wanted.

She quickly remade the bed, getting the pillows ready for him before heading into the kitchen to make some popcorn. A few minutes later Nick made his way out and into the living room.

“Wow that was fast.”

“I’ve perfected the twenty minute shower. Being on the road will do that to ya, especially when you’ve only got so much hot water,” he grinned.

“That’s rough, I hate being rushed. I’m making some popcorn and I got us some drinks.”

“Ohh good, I am kinda hungry,” Nick smiled, heading into the kitchen. “How can I help?”

“You can get the glasses if you want.”

Nick grabbed the glasses and Veronica pulled the popcorn out of the microwave, poured it into a bowl and followed Nick into the living room. They settled on the bed and Veronica set the bowl between them.

“Find anything good?”

“Speed.”

“Ohh I love this move!” Veronica grinned.

“It’s Keanu isn’t it?” Nick sighed, rolling his eyes.

“He’s HOT in this movie, I mean, seriously.”

“Whatever,” Nick groaned, shoving a handful of popcorn into his mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ahh I love that ending! A relationship based on sex can’t be a bad thing,” Veronica giggled.

“Oh please! That’s why they don’t make it to the second movie.”

“No way, it was because he went all…paranoid on her and bought her safety stuff for her birthday or something.”

“A likely story.”

“It’s the truth Carter, deal with it,” she smirked, gathering up the bowl and glasses and bringing them into the kitchen.

“Mmmhmm.”

“Well, I’m gonna head to bed, I’m sleepy.”

“Yeah, me too,” Nick replied softly, watching as she made her way out of the kitchen and over to the foot of the bed.

“You got everything? Do you need another pillow or blanket or anything?”

“Nah, I’m cool.”

“Ok, well goodnight.”

He watched her for a second, the words on the tip of his tongue. “Night Veronica.”

She smiled and turned, flipping the light off and heading into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

Undressing quickly, he slipped into the bed. Nick frowned, rolling onto his side, he listened as she finished a few minutes later and headed into her bedroom, the door shutting softly behind her. He turned his head and pushed his face into the pillow, screaming in frustration, his body going limp. There had to be something he could do to stop it, the longing, the aching to be with her. It wasn’t because she’d turned him down before; no it was more than that, beyond that. He just couldn’t put his finger on it.

He would get no sleep tonight.

Veronica stared up at the ceiling, she could hear him shifting around and her heart sped up. She’d been so sleepy a few minutes ago and now she was wide-awake. She couldn’t stop thinking about him, about him being just there in the next room. Her bed seemed awful cold, empty for some reason. She closed her eyes, willing herself to fall asleep, but it didn’t work, she knew it wouldn’t. She needed something, wanted…something.

Nick rolled to his other side, hitting his pillow viciously before resting on it again. He couldn’t get comfortable, he just couldn’t relax. Nick let out a breath, trying to force himself to calm down and let sleep take him, but his body wouldn’t listen. Slowly he opened his eyes, staring straight ahead. He couldn’t stop thinking about her.

Neither one of us can get to sleep, cause what's on your mind, is what's on my mind and both of us know that we just might regret it.

Slowly she sat up, rubbing at her eyes. She couldn’t sleep, she just couldn’t. She stilled, listening. It was quiet; apparently Nick had no problem sleeping. Still, maybe she should check on him to see if he was ok, to make sure that he didn’t need anything and was just too afraid of waking her up.

Slipping out of the bed, she quietly opened the door and made her way down the hall, careful not to make a sound. Once again, she flattened herself against the wall and poked her head around the corner. He was on his side, his body still. She didn’t want to wake him, but she couldn’t take her eyes off his sleeping form. She pulled away from the wall, watching him longingly. She couldn’t stop herself from imagining herself spooned up behind him, her arm draped over his waist.

Wincing, she turned to leave.

“Veronica?”

She whirled around, “Nick? I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t, don’t worry,” he replied, sitting up.

“Oh, ok.”

“Hey, c’mon on over and talk to me, I can‘t sleep.”

She hesitated a moment, “Me either.”

“So then c’mon,” he patted the spot next to him.

She smiled, making her way over and sitting next to him.

And neither one of us can fight the truth, cause you’re feelin' me and I'm feelin' you, and both of us hope that we'll never forget it.

“So, why can’t you sleep?”

Nick smiled, “Got…a few things on my mind.”

“Ahh, me too it seems.”

“So, what would you like to do tomorrow?”

“Hmmm, I’m not sure. At some point I do want you to come with me to my job so I can introduce you to my friends, if that’s ok.”

“Sure, that’d be cool. I’m dying to meet these people you used to tell me about all the time.”

“I did talk about them a lot didn’t I?” Veronica grinned.

“Yeah ya did, but it was cool. I liked to hear what it was like to be normal.”

Veronica shifted, slowly lying back down on the bed.

“Who says you’re not normal?”

Nick followed her lead and laid back as well, “C’mon, a singer doesn’t exactly lead a normal life.”

“Whatever the hell normal is anyway.”

“I know, but still, it’s just…”

Veronica tried to listen as he spoke, but suddenly she couldn’t focus on anything other than the fact that he was laying next to her in the bed, the heat from his body engulfed her and she felt herself moving in closer to him, wanting desperately some kind of contact. Veronica felt her heartbeat starting to increase, her body tense. It came to her in a flash, so hard and fast she couldn’t have stopped it if she’d wanted to, and in all honesty, she didn’t want to.

Oh, she was in so much trouble. How? How could it have happened? After what went down yesterday, how could she even think of him like that? Here was someone who was going to use her to help him forget, it was only a day later, and she was seriously considering…thinking about…

Sitting up suddenly, she struggled for air, her head spinning.

“Veronica? You ok? What‘s wrong?” He asked, sitting up now as well.

She looked over at him, she could just make out his outline in the darkness, but she could feel his eyes staring intently at her. She wouldn’t let herself think right now, not of the consequences, of the repercussions or how he’d feel about her later. All she knew was that she wanted to be with him, and that she may never have the chance again. What scared her the most was that she cared for him deeply, more than she ever had any guy. She prayed that some part of him cared for her too.

“Veronica?”

Leaning in, she kissed him suddenly, pressing her lips gently and cautiously against his.

So we get closer and we touch, and the feeling gets too much. No need to hurry, no need to rush, and I'm tellin you, girl I'm tellin you…

Nick started, his whole body going still. What was happening, what was she doing? Slowly he pulled away.

“Veronica? What are you doing? What’s going on?”

“I…I can’t…I can’t stop thinking about yesterday, about what I did and…”

“Veronica, you don’t…I’m not expecting you to do anything, I’m not pressuring you to…”

“I know.”

“Then why?”

She couldn’t tell him why, she couldn’t even admit it to herself.

“Because, I want to be with you tonight.”

He swallowed hard, his body already starting to react to her words. He didn’t know what to do, he’d been thinking about this, dreaming about it…about her.

“Veronica, I think…”

“Nick, don’t think, just kiss me please,” she replied softly.

He let out a breath, his pulse racing as he brought hands up, cupping her face as he leaned in, kissing her gently. He felt her hands rest on his biceps, squeezing gently. He brought his hands down, sliding them around her waist, pulling her closer.

Veronica tried to relax, but she was nervous and as much as she wanted this, she was scared.

“Veronica?” Nick pulled away, dropping his arms from around her.

“Yeah?”

“Are you ok?”

“Mmmhmm, why?”

“You’re shaking.”

She was glad it was dark so he couldn’t see her blushing.

“I’m sorry…I…”

“Are you sure you wanna do this?”

She nodded, “Yes, I’m very sure. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize…Veronica, really if you’re not…”

“I am…I am I swear.”

God he wanted her so bad he couldn’t believe he was actually giving her an out, but he couldn’t treat her like the other women, she wasn’t like other women.

“Nick?”

“Hmm?”

Reaching out, she took his arms, wrapping his arms around her. “Hold me?”

He pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. Moving his hands down, he grabbed the hem of her shirt and slowly pulled it up and off. Nick frowned as the shaking increased; he kissed her shoulder gently, rubbing her back lightly.

She took a breath, she had to tell him, it was important, but she couldn’t bring herself to say it, it was too embarrassing. Her eyes fluttered shut when she felt his lips on her shoulder and then on her neck. Suddenly she felt herself being lowered to the bed as Nick rested on her carefully.

“God, you don’t know how much I’ve wanted to do this,” he whispered, burying his face in her neck, nuzzling gently.

Her eyes widened, “You…have?”

“Hell yeah, god…” he slid his hands up, cupping her breasts, kneading them gently.

She felt her face starting to burn.

“Veronica…touch me,” he whispered.

You're not just givin' it up to me, I'm not just givin' it up to you, and since it's what we both want to do that’s good enough.

Lifting her arms, she hesitantly wrapped them around him, pressing him closer to her.

He made his way down her chest, reaching behind her, he unhooked her bra, pulling away to pull it off. Nick wished he could see her, but he had a feeling that if he suggested turning the light on, she wouldn’t agree. He leaned down, burying his face between her breasts, he wanted to move faster, he wanted to be inside so bad, but he had to go slow.

Veronica slid her hands down until she met the band of his boxers and stopped, she couldn’t make herself go any further, but god knew how bad she wanted to.

“It’s ok, go ahead,” he murmured, as his lips found her nipple, drawing it into his mouth suddenly.

She cried out suddenly, whimpering softly. Urging herself to act, she pushed her hands inside the band of his boxers and down, sliding her hands over his ass lightly.

“Shit…,” he sighed.

She started to pull her hands out; maybe that was not what he had in mind.

“Take em off…”

Ok, definitely not, what he had in mind. Veronica tried to wrap her mind around how she was going to approach it, when she felt Nick’s lips on her other nipple this time and all thought escaped her.

He tugged gently, she tasted so good. He swirled his tongue around her nipple, biting gently. Nick felt her jerk below him and wondered why she hesitated in pushing his boxers off. He gently pressed against her, wiggling his hips a bit. Suddenly he felt her hands come out and start to push his boxers down and he kicked them off and to the floor. Leaning up, he kissed her gently, moving his hands down to her underwear, starting to push them down. Nick felt her tense and pulled away.

“You ok?”

“Mmmhmm, I’m fine.”

“I wish I could see your face,” he said softly.

“Huh? Why?”

“Cause I’d like to know what you’re thinking. You seem so…nervous, so scared. You don’t have to be ok?”

That’s what she kept telling herself, but she couldn’t help it. She was going to do something wrong, she knew it.

“Ok.”

Nick strained to make out any of her features through the darkness, it wasn’t pitch black, there was a bit of light from the blinds, but he couldn’t see her expression. She was holding back, like there was something bothering her.

“Is…is everything ok? I mean…”

“No no! Everything is fine, I promise.”

He hesitated a moment before kissing her again, pushing her underwear down and off the rest of the way. He slid his hand up her leg to her thigh and then around. Nick could hear her breathing starting to quicken, and his body started to harden more. He wanted her so bad; he didn’t know how he was keeping himself from taking her right then. Nick brushed a finger over her and heard her moan softly, bending down, he kissed her stomach gently as he pushed a single finger between her folds and was alarmed to hear her startled cry. He frowned, and then groaned softly when he felt her tighten around his finger.

“Damn baby.”

Veronica panted softly, her body contracting around his finger. He’d taken her totally off guard, and she had no idea how good it would feel. She stifled a moan when she felt him move his finger, rubbing her gently. Her hips bucked gently, pushing up against his hand. He gently inserted another finger, sliding them both up to rub at her clit. She cried out again, her hips rocking instinctively against his hand. It felt so good; nothing had ever felt so good. A moan escaped her lips finally, and her hand slid down to cover his, his fingers starting to rub harder, faster.

Neither one of us can shake the past, are we movin' to slow? Or movin' too fast, they can’t touch us now, if we don't let it…

“N-Nick…” she whimpered, her eyes tightly shut.

“C’mon baby, let go, cum for me.”

She clutched at the sheets as her orgasm hit, her body arching up suddenly, a strangled gasp emanating from her.

Nick continued to rub her with his fingers, only slower, gently now. He pulled his hand away, rolling back onto her.

“Uhh…do you have a condom?” he whispered in her ear. Again, he felt her still, normally he didn’t really care, he’d wear one if the girl insisted or if she didn’t care, he didn’t. This time though, he did care.

“N-no…I don’t have any.”

“Ok, I’ve got one, hang on.”

Nick pulled away and grabbed his jeans, pulling his wallet out.

Veronica stared up at the ceiling; she listened as he grabbed his jeans and then heard a small crinkling sound. Fear welled up in her strong and fast. It was going to happen; it was really going to happen. She opened her mouth to say something when suddenly he was there again, his lips pressed tight to hers. She brought her hands up, clutching at his shoulders as he hovered over her.

Nick slid his hand down, drawing her leg up and wrapping it around his waist. He rocked against her gently before resting on her. Her hands came up suddenly, clutching at his shoulders; he went to move when suddenly he realized she was shaking, badly. Nick pulled away a bit.

“Veronica, honey you have to relax, this can‘t be enjoyable if you‘re so nervous.”

“S-sorry…”

“Veronica, are you sure there’s nothing wrong? Please tell me if there is, I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.”

She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes, god she didn’t want to say it, she didn’t want to have to tell him, but she knew she really had no choice.

“There…there is something.”

He took a breath, “Ok.”

“I’m, I just…I’ve never…”

“You’ve never…?”

“Nick…please don’t make me say it,” she whispered.

He blinked, his eyes widening. “Shit, Veronica…”

“I’m sorry…”

“No! Don’t be sorry, you have nothing to apologize for. Fuck I’m such a prick.”

“No you’re not.”

“I am, I didn’t even think that.”

“It’s ok Nick.”

“Are you sure you want to do this? That you want it to be with me?”

She looked up at him, from the position he was in, the small bit of light hit his face, she could see the concern, the seriousness in his eyes, and she smiled. Lifting her hand to caress his cheek.

“I’m sure.”

Wrapping her arms around his neck, she pulled him down to her, silencing him. She wanted to remember this always, she wanted it to last, she knew it’d be the only time she ever wanted anyone this bad and was doing something about it. Veronica brought her other leg around his hip, urging him forward.

“Veronica…”

He didn’t know what he wanted to say, but he knew that if she wanted him to, he would stop. He also knew that if she wanted him, he would take her, have her because he needed this, needed her. Nick wanted so much for her, more than he’d ever wanted for anyone else. And he did want this; he wanted this moment, this night with her too. Nick wished for more, for something he shouldn’t be and he knew it was too late for him.

And neither one us wants this night to end, if forever was now and time could suspend, and wishes came true if we just said it…

Bracing his hands on either side of her head, he slowly moved forward, carefully resting on her completely. He gently pulled away from the kiss, panting softly. Taking a breath, he moved, sliding into her carefully, gently. He heard her sharp intake of breath and stilled, he knew it would just be easier if he did, it fast. Nick closed his eyes, God he didn’t want this to be bad for her. Wrapping his arms around her, holding her tightly. He pushed forward hard and fast, her body jerked below his, a soft whimper came from her.

“A-are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m alright.”

“God you’re so tight Veronica.”

Veronica held him tightly, her body suddenly starting to relax a bit. She shifted slightly, trying to get adjusted to the feel of him.

Nick stifled a groan, his body hardening more, whimpering, he buried his face in her neck, his eyes tightly shut. She was killing him and he was sure she didn’t even realize. What had he done? It shouldn’t have been him, not like this. It was too late for that though, now he had to take it easy and make it as enjoyable for her as he knew it would be for him. He leaned in, kissing her gently, struggling to not move. Nick reluctantly broke the kiss, his breathing labored.

“Veronica…baby, I-I need to move, oh god…please.” He couldn’t help it, she felt too good.

And somehow, she understood that need, that urgency, it was the same as hers. She pushed her hips up to his suddenly, causing him to slide in deeper.

So we get closer and we touch, and the feeling gets too much. No need to hurry, no need to rush…

“Then…move baby,” she whispered.

Ohh what we have right here now baby, it’s good for me and it’s good for you, and all we were waiting for…

“Hold onto me Veronica…I‘ll take you there,” Nick murmured, brushing his lips over hers. He felt her hold on him tighten and he started to move. It was amazing and so unlike anything he’d felt before. It was stronger, truer…perfect.

Take my hand, and I’ll take you to that special place. Come with me through this open door…

A moan escaped her, her hips pushing up against his of their own accord, intensifying the feeling. She could feel that familiar feeling, that pressure, the heat spreading through her body and then suddenly, he was bigger and harder inside her.

“N-Nick,” she whispered.

He could hold back no longer, “Veronica…I…I’m sorry…” he whimpered, thrusting harder, faster now. He’d wanted to be here so bad, for so long and she was everything he’d dreamed she’d be.

“Y-yes…yes…”

She matched his thrusts, needing the release just as much as him, maybe even more. The pressure took over, her body exploded suddenly and she clenched around him hard and tight, calling his name out loudly. She felt his hips jerk and then he was calling out for her and they fell limp, his body resting heavily on hers.

You're not just givin' it up to me, I'm not just givin' it up to you, and since it's what we both want to do that’s good enough. You’re not just givin' it up to me, I'm not just givin' it up to you and since it's what we both want to do that’s good enough.

Nick held her tightly, kissing her neck gently before rolling off her and to his side.

“Veronica?”

“Mmm…mmmhmm?”

“Are you ok?”

Veronica smiled sleepily, “Ok is definitely not the word I’d use.”

He frowned, “It’s not?”

“No”

“Ok, so then…what would you use?”

“Mmm…fantastic, wonderful…sated. Mmmm tired.”

Nick smiled suddenly, “Really?”

“Fuck yeah.”

“Sleep baby,” he whispered, kissing her forehead gently. Nick pulled her to him and he could tell she was already asleep. He waited for that feeling, that need to bolt like he always did, but it never came. He felt completely content to stay right there, his body pressed so close to hers. All those nights he’d dreamt of her here, lying beside him. How many times had he pretended that the girl in bed with him was Veronica? How many? Nick had lost count. Now, now it had finally happened, and he didn’t want the moment to end.

Letting out a breath, he closed his eyes. They’d taken that last step, into more than friends, into something he wasn’t sure of.

It scared him to death.

But he wouldn’t think of that now, he wouldn’t think of anything. Not of the people who would definitely be against this, his feelings. The people who would try to stop it, do whatever it took to not let him act on these feelings. Nick didn’t care though; he was tired of hiding and tired of pretending he didn’t feel anything, because he did. And he had Veronica to thank for it.

Scooting in closer to her, he buried his face in her neck and drifted off.

I’m not gonna worry about, what others may say or do…as long as it’s me and you baby.

Good Enough - by Brian Mcknight feat. Joe, Carl Thomas, Tyrese and Tank