- Text Size +
Chapter 97

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay? Cause I can just call the guys and…”

“No no Nick, I’m fine. You need to go, you’ve got obligations, and I’ve held you hostage long enough,” Veronica smiled.

“I can tell them a family emergency came up, no problem.”

“Nick, they know where you are. Please don’t worry, my Mom is gonna come over in a bit and I’ll be busy getting everything up together and whatever.”

Nick stared at her, his heart breaking. “At least let me help you out with the plane ticket.”

“Thanks but it‘s alright, I’ve got it covered, it’s all set.”

“Veronica…”

“Nick honey you’ve gotta go, you have a long drive ahead of you and you need to get there in time to catch your flight.”

He rubbed at his face, “I feel like an ass leaving now.”

“Nick, you didn’t know this was going to happen, it’s not your responsibility to stay,” she whispered.

He dropped his hands, staring sadly at her.

“I’m sorry Veronica, so sorry all this happened, it’s not fair.”

Veronica smiled sadly, “Such is life.”

“You’re sure you’re going to be ok?”

“I’ll be as good as I can be considering.”

Nick reached out, taking her hands in his and pulling her close. “Thank you for letting me stay, for everything this last week. It’s been amazing, I’m glad I came.”

“Oh Nick, god so am I. I was so surprised and thankful. You’ve made this last week so great, my best birthday ever hands down. Thank you so much for the gifts,” she smiled, she could feel herself starting to get choked up. Deep down, she didn’t want him to go.

“Well put em to good use, I expect to see you in September.”

“I’ll be there don’t worry, after all this, I’m gonna need the pick me up.”

“Yeah I guess huh.”

She nodded, looking away suddenly. “So, call me when you get to Jamestown so I know you’ve arrived safely ok? Or when you get to the airport, whichever is easier. If I don’t answer, just leave a message.”

He nodded, “I will.”

She looked over at him again, “Well I guess this is it.”

“Yeah.”

Bending down, he grabbed his bags and started for the door, Veronica following.

“Thanks again Veronica.”

“Nothing to thank me for, but you’re welcome.”

Stopping, he set his bags down and turned to her, she smiled, her eyes questioning. He reached out, pulling her into his arms, hugging her close.

“Hang in there ok? Call me if you need to talk, anytime and if I can’t answer, leave a message and I’ll call you back ok?”

She nodded against him, her throat was starting to close and she didn’t trust herself to try to speak. She held him tightly, trying to memorize how he felt in his arms, how he smelled.

Nick pulled away, staring at her a moment before leaning in, kissing her deeply.

Veronica slowly pulled away, looking down. “Nick…”

“I’ll see you soon ok?”

She lifted her head, her eyes welling up, “Ok.”

God he didn’t want to leave.

“Bye Veronica.”

“Bye Nick.”

He stared at her a moment longer before opening the door and making his way out. Veronica shut and locked the door, reaching up to wipe at her eyes.

She really was alone.