- Text Size +
The sound of the phone ringing jarred Ivy out of her thoughts. Who’s calling? she wondered. Howie was still in the shower, so she knew she would have to take a message. “Hello?” she answered getting her pencil and paper ready. When no one said anything, she sighed…this always annoyed her. “Hello!” she repeated a little louder.

“I know where you are Ivy,” came a harsh whisper.

“Excuse me?” she cried out surprised. “Who is this and how do you know my name?”

“I know everything about you, Ivy,” they replied in a low voice before the line went dead.

Ivy was horrified and didn’t know what to say. She was still holding the phone to her ear when Howie touched her on the shoulder. “Hey Ivy, what’s the matter, baby? You look like you’ve seen a ghost. Are you okay?” he asked, obviously concerned. “Who was that on the phone? Did something happen?”

“Oh…uh…” she stumbled for something to say. I can’t tell him what that person said to me… “No, nothing happened. That was just a wrong number.”

“Then why do you look so upset if nothing is wrong?”

“I just realized that today is our anniversary and couldn’t believe that neither one of us remembered,” she lied, praying he would buy it.

“Really? Wow! I can’t believe I forgot.”

Ivy cringed inside as she continued. “Yeah, sweetie. I just figured we should do something tonight since you guys are still off. How does that sound?”

“That sounds perfect,” he gave her a kiss. I just hope he doesn’t look in my planner and see that our anniversary isn’t until next week.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca sniffled and felt AJ squeeze her hand. She was lying on an examining table while a doctor performed a pelvic exam for a rape kit. They had insisted that AJ not be present during the examinations; however, Bianca would not let him leave. She was terrified of being alone and begged him, as well as the doctors. He was a friend comforting her, why didn’t they understand that? Besides, Nick wasn’t there to do this. Bianca had been asking about him since they had been at the hospital, but all AJ could tell her was that he would be there soon. Now, AJ sat facing Bianca, holding her hand, and every so often, brushing her hair out of her face.

He had to admit that he was more than a little uncomfortable, but he would never have told Bianca he wouldn’t stay there with her. He could see the fear in her blue eyes, as well as hear it in her voice. The mischievous sparkle that once glimmered in her eyes was gone. She wasn’t the same person and AJ knew she wouldn’t be for a very long time, if she ever was again.

AJ thought about Nick. He couldn’t even begin to imagine how much this was going to devastate his friend. Nick loved Bianca with all his heart, everyone knew that, but what would happen to them? Will they get through this? AJ wondered and ran his thumb across Bianca’s forehead.

“Okay, Miss Parker, we’re all finished,” Dr. Evers said. “You can get dressed and I’ll be back shortly to discuss some things with you.”

AJ gave her hand a gentle squeeze and stood up. Bianca frantically grabbed his hand and asked, “Where are you going?!”

“I’m gonna go so you can get dressed. I’ll be right outside your door. Just call me when you’re finished, okay sweetheart?”

She nodded and let go of AJ’s hand. “Stand right outside my door, alright?” she asked sounding like a little girl.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right here,” he leaned in and kissed her on the forehead. While AJ was waiting, Dr. Evers approached him. She had a grim, yet sympathetic expression on her face. “Mr. McLean, could I have a word with you? I’d like to discuss the situation with your girlfriend.”

AJ almost commented that Bianca was just a friend, but caught himself. If they knew he wasn’t Bianca’s boyfriend, he definitely would not be back there and she would be alone. “Sure,” he nodded. Where the hell is Nick when ya need him?

“Mr. McLean--”

“AJ.”

“AJ,” Dr. Evers chose her words carefully. “Miss Parker has suffered an extremely traumatic experience. I’m not trying to treat you like a child,” she said seeing him roll his eyes. Before he could comment, she continued, “I just want you and everyone close to Bianca to understand her situation. I think she should begin counseling as soon as possible. She needs to begin the emotional healing process.”

“Don’t you think you should be telling Bianca this, instead of me?” he said a little impatiently. “She’s been through hell, but she’s not stupid, and trust me, she’d be pissed if she knew you were telling me all this before you tell her.” Just then, he heard someone yelling and saw Nick round the corner. “Finally…”

“AJ! Where is she?” Nick ran up to his friend, frantically. He was being followed by a number of angry hospital staff members. “Is Bean okay? I need to see her!”

“Look, Mr., I know you said you really need to see someone, but you cannot be back here without a pass,” a tall man in a white lab coat said impatiently.

Before Nick could say anything, AJ handed him his pass. “Now he’s got one buck-o,” AJ said and poked the man in the chest. “Go take care of her, Nick. She needs you.” With that, AJ walked passed the dumbfounded doctors into the waiting room.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian and Nicole walked into the emergency room waiting area and looked around. Brian pulled his hat down to better cover his face and sighed. “Weren’t we just waiting for news on a friend in the hospital? Now here we are again.”

“I know. Gracious, I hope she’s okay.”

Brian gave Nicole’s hand a loving squeeze as they approached the nurse’s desk. “Excuse me?” he cleared his throat, getting the nurse’s attention. “Could you tell me where the waiting area for Bianca Parker is?”

“That would be-” she looked up and her mouth fell open. “Brian?” she whispered.

“Jules?” Brian was shocked. “Oh my God, Julie! I can’t believe it!” he dropped Nicole’s hand and met Julie in a warm embrace.

Nicole stared in disbelief as Brian began to completely ignore her. It seemed like he had forgotten that she even existed. “Brian,” she called softly and placed a hand on his arm.

“Oh, baby, I’m sorry. Nicole, this is Julie Lewis, an old…friend,” Nicole noticed his hesitation. “Julie, this is my girlfriend, Nicole.”

“Nice to meet you,” Julie smiled politely and extended her hand. When Nicole didn’t return the gesture, Julie lowered her hand to her side and her cheeks warmed over. “Well, Brian, it was really great seeing you. Maybe we can talk sometime and catch up on what’s been going on. My number hasn’t changed.”

“Okay,” he smiled and gave her another hug. “It was so good to see you, Jules.” When he and Nicole were out of distance for anyone to hear, he looked at her and asked, “Why were you so rude back there?”

“What do you mean?” she began to play dumb.

“When Julie tried to shake your hand, you were really rude. She was just being nice.”

“Well, I figured you were being nice enough for the both of us,” she replied matter-of-factly.

“Oh, come on Nicole. Do not tell me you’re jealous,” Brian said with a chuckle. “You know you have no reason to feel that way.”

“She got really friendly…more friendly than I like,” she defended herself. “My number hasn’t changed,” she mocked.

Brian stopped in his tracks and grabbed Nicole’s hand. “Baby, listen to me. I love you, and you know that. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I promise,” he said and placed a tender kiss on her lips. “I love you.”

Nicole nodded slowly and returned his kiss. “I love you too, Bri. Let’s go see how Bean is now, okay?” I am still gonna watch out for that girl she thought as they made their way to the elevators.