- Text Size +
“What do you think happened?” Brianna asked Kevin as they searched for their friends. “AJ was extremely vague, but it sounded bad.”

“Darlin’, don’t worry,” Kevin reassured her. The truth was, Brianna was right. To hear AJ’s voice, the situation sounded terrible, but he couldn’t even begin to guess what it might be. “I’m sure Bean is doing just fine.”

As they rounded the corner, Kevin, Brianna, and Kyra ran right into AJ. “J, what’s going on? What happened to Bianca?!” Brianna asked quickly.

“She’s alright, just real shook up. She’s pretty banged and bruised up, too, but she’s okay considering what happened,” he sighed.

“And that would be what?” Brianna questioned, breathing a sigh of relief that her best friend was okay. “Does she remember everything that happened?”

“Yeah,” AJ sighed again. “They hadn’t done a police report when I was still with her. That’s probably what they’re doing now. She’s doing okay, but it’s bad. The person that did this gave her a pretty horrible beating. I almost didn’t recognize her when I found her.”

“Oh my-” Brianna gasped. "Who would want to do something like this?”

“A very cruel and evil person, sweetheart.” AJ stated. “Her room is just down the hall to the left. 546. Nick just got here,” he said, rolling his eyes. “I sat with her through everything. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have left her alone for anything, but he was the one she needed. What took him so long getting here?”

Brianna shrugged and Kevin said, “I dunno man. What takes him so long getting anywhere?”

“Point taken. I’m gonna go have a cigarette. I’ll be back in a little while.”

Kevin lifted Kyra from Brianna’s arms when they reached Bianca’s room. “You go in first, baby. I’ll wait here.”

Brianna nodded then tapped lightly on the door. Not waiting for an answer, she pushed the pale blue door open. Nick was sitting on Bianca’s right side with her hand clasped tightly in his. He looked like he had been crying; Bianca was still crying. They both looked up when they heard the door open. “Hey sweetie,” Brianna forced a smile, despite the grim situation. “How ya feelin’?”

“I’ve been better,” Bianca answered, her voice scratchy. “I’m glad you’re here, Bree.”

“I’ll give you some times to talk,” Nick said, standing up. Bianca made no move to keep him there. “I’ll be right out here.”

Brianna took the seat Nick had occupied and tried to find a place to begin. Out of the blue, Bianca made a surprising comment. “I know who attacked me.”

“What?” Brianna asked, raising her eyebrows.

“I know who it was. It was Eric…he attacked me, Bree.”

“Are you sure, Bean?” she asked doubtfully. “Why would he let you know it was him?”

“I don’t know why, but I know it was him.”

“But how did he get in, Bean? Everyone that was there has to have a pass. How would he have gotten in without one? We both know that he could never have gotten a pass.” Brianna looked confused. “Are you positive it was him?”

“100%,” she stated matter-of-factly.

“Maybe you just thought it was him; someone that favors Eric,” Brianna suggested. “There’s no way he could’ve gotten inside that club.”

“I’m not stupid or blind, Brianna. Eric attacked me. He’s the person that beat and raped me. Besides, he could have gotten in. There’s a way around everything. You and I both know that. Maybe he didn’t need a pass because he was already inside.”

“Bean, you need to get some rest,” Nick interrupted, poking his head through the door.

“I’m fine,” said with an exasperated sigh. “I’ll rest later, okay?” When Nick was once again outside the room, Bianca looked at her best friend with tear-filled eyes. “You have to believe me, Bree. My attacker was Eric, I know it was. I looked him square in the eyes, and I can remember everything as much as I want to forget it. I’m not crazy and I’m not making it up.”

Brianna wrapped Bianca in a tight hug as she broke into sobs. “I don’t think you’re crazy, Bean. I guess I just don’t want to think that he could’ve gotten to you again. This shouldn’t have been able to happen again, Bean…have you talked to your mom?”

“I haven’t talked to her, but somebody called her. She’s freaked out and she said she was catching the first flight out. Apparently, she’s leaving from Wilmington. I know what she’s gonna say, but I’ll be glad to have her here.”

Brianna nodded her agreement just as their conversation was interrupted again. This time Dr. Evers came through the door. “Okay Bianca, I hate to do this, but I’m gonna have to run your visitors away for a little while. You need to relax.”

“Call me if you need anything, okay?” Brianna gave her friend another hug. “I’ll come back later.”

“Okay.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****SAME TIME****

Nick paced outside in the waiting area. He was thinking, trying to reason who could’ve done this to Bianca. He couldn’t think of a single soul. Some crazy stranger only trying to please himself… “When I get my hands on him…”

“You’ll do what?” AJ scoffed. “Sing him to sleep? Oh, I know, kill him with that beautiful voice or maybe-”

“Fuck you, AJ.”

“You know I’m right,” AJ replied, pointedly. “You aren’t gonna do a damn thing because you can’t. And I’m not talking physically, so don’t try and act all macho. You aren’t gonna do anything because if you did, James Jive would have your ass.”

“So what are you saying, AJ?” Nick asked angrily. “Is this damn job more important than Bianca? Something that we both know won’t last forever! I’d give up everything to protect her-”

“Nick, I never said you wouldn’t. I’m not the one who’s gonna stop you from doing something.”

“I know you have a problem with Bianca, but-”

“Blow it out of your ass, Nick. You know damn well that I have nothing against her and it has nothing to do with what I’ve been telling you. You’re having trouble facing facts. Grow up, Nick.”

“Get over yourself, AJ. Tell me something useful.”

“Why don’t you open your big floppy ears and listen to me? Am I too hard to understand or are you just so damn stupid you can’t comprehend anything anyone says? I haven’t said anything here because I have a problem with Bianca. She’s still my friend and I care about her. No matter how bad she and I annoy each other, this still bothers me,” AJ said keeping eye contact. He spoke slowly, as if explaining something to a young child. “You are just upset about the situation and you don’t want to realize that the right thing to do is what I’ve told you.”

Nick had no reply. He only rolled his eyes and walked away.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****LATER THAT DAY****

Brian walked through the doors of the ER and headed straight for the nurses desk. There he saw Julie talking to a patient about when he might be getting back to be seen by a doctor.

After explaining the situation to the impatient man, Julie went back to her work without noticing Brian standing there. Leaning on the counter, Brian cleared his throat to get Julie’s attention. She let out a soft sigh and began to speak, “Sir, I already told you…” she stopped when she looked up and saw Brian. “What are you doing here?” she asked surprised.

“I figured it was almost lunch time, so I decided to come take you out. We have a lot to catch up on. Know what I mean?” Brian asked with a grin.

“Yeah, we do,” she agreed. “So, where’s your girlfriend? She coming with us?”

“No, she had some stuff to do back at the house and she said she was gonna take a nap too, so I decided to come visit.”

“Well, that’s nice of you Brian. Just let me get my purse from the staff lounge and I’ll be right back. You’re lucky you got here before I had gone to lunch. I usually go kinda early.”

“Well, then, I guess it was fate, huh?” Brian asked with his usual grin. “Yeah, I guess it was,” Julie said, returning the grin. She came back out of the lounge and told the nurse at the desk she’d be back later. “Okay, I’m ready.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca was lying in her bed, looking out the window. She had been crying, but finally felt like she had no more tears. She sighed when she heard a knock on her door. I really don’t want to see anyone, she thought. “Come in,” she called out quietly, but kept her eyes toward the window.

“Did I wake you up?” AJ asked softly. “I can let you sleep some more.”

“No, no. I was wide awake,” she groaned painfully as she pilled herself into a sitting position. “I can’t sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I see him coming at me. I can feel it…” she stopped and squeezed her eyes shut with her hands over her face. She shook her head trying to rid herself of the horrible memories of the night before.

Instinctively, AJ wrapped his arms around her and tried to comfort her. “Don’t worry, Bean. You’re okay now. He can’t hurt you anymore.”

After a few minutes, Bianca finally relaxed in his arms. Her sobs became quiet and she seemed to have fallen asleep. Just as he was making his way to the door, he heard her call his name. “AJ?”

“Yeah?” he asked, closing the door and returning to the chair beside her bed.

“Thank you for saving me.”

“Sweetie, you don’t have to thank me for that. I wouldn’t have left you there.”

Bianca forced a small smile. “I owe you one now.”

AJ returned her smile. “Nah, we’ll call it even. Try and get some rest. We don’t want the doctors getting’ pissed.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick sat in the cafeteria, still sulking over the things AJ had said to him. “What does he know, anyway? He doesn’t have much more experience than me when it comes to stuff like this. Who is he to lecture me?”

“You know, maybe you could take his advice,” Kevin’s voice broke into Nick’s thoughts. “And don’t jump all over me before you hear me out. I’m gonna talk and you are gonna listen. Got me?” When Nick nodded, Kevin continued. “AJ was right about you not doing anything, but you took what he said the wrong way. Even if you knew who did this to Bianca, you still couldn’t do anything about it. It would do more damage than anything…you don’t want that. Right?”

“Yeah, but Kevin, what if someone did something like this to Brianna? And what if you knew who did it?” Nick asked.

“Naturally, I’d want to kill them, yes, but I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t do anything to them…not myself. I’d let the cops handle it instead. If you try anything, you’re only gonna get your ass thrown in jail. That’s what AJ meant.”

“I just feel helpless and I feel like this whole mess is my fault,” Nick said, his eyes filling with hot tears. “I don’t understand why this happened. She didn’t deserve it, man.”

“No, she didn’t deserve it, but it happened. There’s a reason for it, and we may or may not find out that reason,” Kevin placed a comforting hand on his young friend’s shoulder. “Just be there to comfort and love Bianca. Leave the worrying to the police, okay?”