- Text Size +
****THE NEXT MORNING****

Kevin wrapped his arms around Brianna from behind and placed a soft kiss on the base of her neck. “Hey baby,” he whispered.

“Hey you,” she said and leaned back into his warm, comforting embrace. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yeah, I did,” he smiled, placing more kisses on her neck. “What about you?”

“Like a baby,” she smiled. “I’m so glad Kyra slept through the night. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to get an entire night of sleep.”

“I know what you mean, darlin’,” Kevin chuckled. “But she’s gonna party tonight, so maybe we’ll tire her out.”

Brianna just laughed. “Baby, I’m gonna go see Bean for a little while this morning. I think it’s time for girl talk. We haven’t done that for a while,” she turned around in his arms and gave him a soft peck on his lips. “I’m gonna go get Kyra ready to go.”

“Why don’t you leave her here? We can have a father-daughter bonding time,” he said with a grin. “You go have fun, and me and K will have some fun here.”

“Okay, sweetie, you can keep Kyra here. I won’t be gone too long anyway. There’s too much to do.” Smiling, Brianna gave Kevin a long soft kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, Bree. Be careful.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brianna raised her hand to knock on the door just as it opened. “Hey, Bree,” Nick greeted with a lopsided grin.

“Hey,” Brianna replied. “Oh, are y’all going somewhere?”

“No, just me,” he answered getting his car key out. “Bianca was in the bathroom just a minute ago. She’s not feeling well today.”

“Okay. I’m not gonna stay long then. Is she upstairs or down?”

“Upstairs in the master bathroom,” he answered before getting into his car.

“Bianca?” Brianna called shutting the front door behind her. “Bean?” She made her way up the staircase to Bianca and Nick’s bedroom. Without knocking, she went in and saw the door to their bathroom was cracked slightly. She heard the toilet flush and called again, “Bean? You okay?” Brianna pulled the door open and peered inside. She quickly rushed over to Bianca when she saw her best friend. “Bean? What’s the matter?”

Bianca was sitting on the floor with her head hanging down so that her chin was on her chest. It was obvious she was crying…sobbing was a better word. Her skin was pale and her hair was damp with sweat. There were still beads of perspiration clinging to her forehead and her upper lip. She had her eyes shut tightly and her left hand was resting on her stomach.

“Bean…” Brianna stopped when she saw the pregnancy test in Bianca’s right hand. “Bean…are you…?”

Without opening her eyes, she nodded and a tear slipped free and slid down her cheek.

“Well, why are you crying?” Brianna asked, surprised. “This is great…you should be happy.”

“It’s not Nick’s,” she choked out.

“What?” Brianna questioned, confused.

“This is not Nick’s baby!” Bianca yelled, finally opening her eyes. “It’s not his…”she began to cry again.

“How is it not Nick’s baby?”

“Because, Brianna, I haven’t slept with Nick since before my birthday and we used protection then. I didn’t even consider something like this…how could I think this couldn’t happen? It’s not like Eric had a condom ready.”

Brianna wrapped her arms around Bianca’s shoulders. “You haven’t told Nick yet, have you?” When Bianca shook her head “no”, Brianna sighed. “Don’t you think you should?”

“I will…I just can’t right now,” Bianca said, wiping her eyes. “I’ll tell him soon…”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****LATER AT THE COOKOUT****

AJ walked over to the stereo and turned the volume up as high as it would go. Walking over to where the girls were sitting, he grinned and asked, “Would any of you lovely ladies care to dance?” He had surprised everyone when he showed up alone and announced no one would be joining him later. When no one answered, he made a face. “You mean to tell me that none of you have the urge to dance?”

“I’ll dance,” Brianna smiled and walked over to AJ. “I don’t want to be a party pooper.”

“Alright,” AJ winked at Bianca, Nicole, and Ivy. “I’ll come back for y’all later.”

Nick made his way over to the picnic table where the three girls were watching AJ and Brianna dance. Sitting down beside Bianca, he took her hand in his and smiled. “Are you okay, baby? You seem like something is bothering you.”

“Hmm? Oh, baby, I’m fine. I’m still feeling a little under the weather,” she smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “Don’t worry so much, Nicky.”

Just then the music changed and the soft sounds of a piano filled the air.

Love wandered inside, stronger than you, stronger than I.

Nick stood up and held his hand out to Bianca. “May I have this dance?”

And now that it has begun, we cannot turn back, we can only turn into one.

Bianca placed her hand in Nick’s and slowly stood up. She let Nick pull her close to him and wrap his arms around her as he sang softly in her ear.

I won’t ever be to far to feel you
And I won’t hesitate at all
And I’ll always remember the part of you so tender
I’ll be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call*


Bianca pulled away from Nick and wiped her eyes. “Nick, I need to…go for a ride. I’ll be back later, okay?”

“Bean, what’s wrong?” he asked before she pulled away from him and ran into the house.

Brianna quickly headed in after her, hoping she could catch Bianca before she left. She got in before Bianca could make it out the door. “Bean? What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I just need some time alone to get my thoughts straight.”

“Why are you doing this? You’re acting like a damn child!” Brianna snapped.

“Oh, I’m acting like a child because I’m scared and I don’t know what to do? Forgive me for being terrified about my current situation. But didn’t you run out on everybody last year? Or am I wrong? I’m sorry I thought you, of all people, would be understanding and willing to listen; maybe give me some advice,” Bianca yelled, her face red. She sucked in a deep breath and let it our slowly. Barely above a whisper, she said, “Sorry I thought I could count on your friendship…I didn’t know that would be too much to ask.”

Brianna didn’t say anything to try and stop Bianca. She flinched slightly as the door slammed and Bianca’s car sped out of the driveway, “I just hope she’s okay.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick picked up the ringing telephone in the middle of the first ring, “Bianca?”

“No, man, it’s AJ. She’s still not home?”

“No,” Nick answered with a tired sigh. When Bianca stormed out, Nick had questioned Brianna about the situation because it was obvious that she knew what was going on. It’s not my place to tell you, Nick was all she would say. He got tired of getting nowhere so he decided to drive around and see if he could find Bianca and figure out what was going on. Now, It was a little after five and Bianca had been gone for about three hours. “If she calls you, please let me know. Thanks, man,” Nick said and put the phone down. He groaned when it started ringing again. Without taking time to greet the caller h said, “No, she isn’t home yet, I haven’t heard from her and nobody else has either.”

The line was silent for a minute then a soft voice spoke, “That’s because I haven’t called anyone, Nicky.”

“Bianca! Where are you? Are you okay? Please, you have to tell me what’s going on….what could be so bad that you can’t tell me? I’ve been so worried not knowing where you were,” Nick said in one breath.

“I’m fine, Nick, I just needed to clear my mind. I think you should understand. I was wondering if you would meet me somewhere. So we can talk.”

“Sure, baby,” he answered quickly. “Just tell me where,” his voice was soft and seemed to melt Bianca’s heart. “I love you.”

“I love you,” she sighed.

Fifteen minutes later, Nick was heading to Starbucks to talk to Bianca. He was more relieved than ever when she called him. He had been beginning to wonder if she was okay. “Hey, baby,” he greeted her with a warm kiss.”

“Hey, Nicky,” her voice held a hint of sadness. She stared into her cappuccino and sighed. “I’m sorry I ran off like that today. I just needed time to myself. I had a lot of thinking to do.”

“I understand, Bean,” he reached across the small table and took her hand in his. Running his thumb gently over her knuckles, he reached his fee hand up and tipped her face up so she was looking at him. “Did you clear your mind?”

Bianca’s blue eyes watered over and her lip began to tremble slightly. She nodded slowly and squeezed his large hand. “I think I’m gonna take the offer from Jive to headline a tour this fall. And-”

“What? Why?” he interrupted, his eyes wide with surprise.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for me,” she said and looked back down at the coffee. “And I think we need to take some time off.”

“We?” he asked, a look of pain filling his eyes. “As in you and me? Why Bean?”

“I just think it would be for the best,” she said and pulled her hands away. She kept her eyes toward the table so he wouldn’t see the regret in her eyes---she had to do this. It was for the best….wasn’t it? Yes, of course it is! “You’re young…we both are…and I feel like I’m holding you back…there could be something better out there, Nick.”

“No!” his voice rose. “Why are you doing this? Look at me, damn it.”

Bianca looked at him. Amazingly, she kept her cool, even though she could feel her heart breaking. She wanted to grab him and tell him that it was just a mean joke and she didn’t mean any of it, but she knew she had to do this. “I just think that we both need a break from each other. I don’t want to be in the way of something that could be better than anything you have right now,” she said and stood up. “If we are really meant to be together, then we’ll find a way back to each other.” She reached her hand out and placed it on Nick’s cheek and wiped a tear away with her thumb. “I’ll go get my stuff later, if you don’t mind…it would be too hard right now.”

Nick watched as she began to walk away. “Bean?” his voice broke. When she turned around, he took a deep breath and walked up to her. “Loving you is like breathing. How can I stop?”

Bianca couldn’t hide her tears any longer. “Baby, I hope you don’t because I know I will never stop loving you.” She reached out and traced his lips, then turned and walked away leaving him standing there hurt and confused. She didn’t want him to see the pieces of her heart break even more.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*"Whenever You Call"--Mariah Carey