- Text Size +
****TWO WEEKS LATER****

The guys were leaving the studio after rehearsing for nearly four and a half hours. They would be rehearsing for another week before their fall tour started and they were already exhausted. “Man,” Brian said with an exaggerated sigh. “I am pooped.”

“Who here can tell Brian is a country boy?” AJ cracked, causing the others to laugh.

“I am not,” Brian defended himself with a frown.

“Rok, who uses that phrase?” AJ raised his eyebrows and waited for Brian to answer.

“Well,” Brian scratched his head, “my mom says it and my grandparents have said it before. I think I’ve heard my dad use it a couple of times, too.”

“And where are you and your family from?”

“Kentucky…” Brian said giving AJ an expression that said ‘Duh! You knew that!’

“Precisely…that expression plus Kentucky equals Country. It’s a very simple equation really,” AJ grinned.

“I am NOT country,” Brian pouted.

“How bout we all go home and get showered and changed and we all go out to dinner?” Howie suggested when the conversation died.

“That’s a good idea,” Kevin nodded his agreement.

“Sounds cool to me,” AJ replied while Brian nodded.

“Nick? What do you think?” Kevin questioned when he failed to respond.

“You guys go ahead without me. I think I’m gonna go home and go to bed. Rehearsals are killing me,” he said, not meeting anyone’s gaze.

After Bianca left, Nick went back into a shell he had formed years earlier. He was upset, but instead of being sad or hurt, he became angry. He found himself snapping at people for no reason and decided that he was better off not talking if that’s what he was gonna do. Better to keep my anger to myself than to take it out on my friends. He just didn’t understand anything anymore. Things had been fine and he was there for Bianca when she needed him; then she left. If Bianca didn’t want to be with him anymore, that was fine, but he wanted an explanation. She owed him that. Without saying a word to the other four, he climbed into his Durango and sped off.

“I don’t think he’s hungry,” AJ broke the silence. When no one laughed he shrugged and said, “What? It’s a joke…I thought it was funny.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The four guys, Brianna, Ivy and Nicole all sat around the table enjoying their meals. Brian finally looked at the group and sighed. “I’m worried about Nick.”

“Because Bianca left? She’s a woman,” AJ stopped when all three women began to stare at him. “No offense, but what I mean is, stuff like that happens all the time. It’s no big deal. He’ll get over it.”

“Really? Cause if I remember correctly, when Cassie left you, you were a wreck,” Brian quickly retorted. When AJ remained silent, Brian continued, “Nick is entitled to his feelings, but it’s not healthy for him to completely isolate himself from everyone. And don’t you think the fans are gonna notice his behavior and mood?”

“Yeah, but what can we do?” Howie asked. “Nick has done everything short of flat out telling us to stay out of his life.”

“That’s true, Brian,” AJ said.

“Why don’t we-” he started to say something but Brianna interrupted.

“Why don’t all of you stay out of it and let him handle it? It’s not a decision for y’all to make,” she stated matter-of-factly. She and Bianca still hadn’t spoken, but she knew the reason her friend walked out. It may not have been the best decision, but it’s none of my business.

“She’s right,” Nicole agreed.

“Why don’t you let Bean and Nick figure things out on their own time. Besides, you’ve all got really good stage faces, so I don’t think the fans will know,” Brianna added.

“Okay,” Kevin smiled at Bree. “On to our next issue…the new dancer.”

He was met with a groan from AJ. “Man, she has to go…she’s gonna break my freakin’ foot!”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca sat on the edge of a large stage resting between songs. She would be touring in a matter of weeks and had a ton of rehearsals not to mention interviews and promotions to get through. She knew headlining a tour would be a lot of hard work, but as long as she didn’t have time to sit and think about the last two months of her life, she was good to go. Bianca kept herself busy enough during the day to be completely exhausted at night. She didn’t have time to answer any questions from anyone, not even herself, and that’s the way she liked it.

“Ready to start again?” her choreographer made it sounds more like an order than a question. “We’ve got a lot to do and we’re already short on time, so let’s get everything done.”

Getting up, Bianca immediately threw herself into the routines only thinking about perfection. That’s all that mattered. At least ONE thing in her life could be perfect.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****TWO WEEKS LATER****

Brian and Nicole were sitting on the couch in their hotel room watching a movie and eating lunch. Since this was the first day the guys were off, they decided to spend the entire day together doing nothing. The next concert was in two days in Kentucky and Brian seemed to get more excited at the day went by. He couldn’t stop talking about getting home and seeing his family.

“I’m glad you’re finally gonna meet my parents, baby,” Brian smiled and slid his fingers through Nicole’s. “My mom is so excited, too. Every time I’ve talked to her, that’s all she’s talked about. And she’s asked me any and every question under the sun to make sure you’re comfortable.”

“Baby, tell her she doesn’t have to go out of her way,” Nicole moved closer and ran her free hand through Brian’s curls. “I’m just as excited to meet your mom, too.”

Brian opened his mouth to say something just as the telephone began to ring. “Hello?”

“I’m sorry to bother you Mr. Littrell,” the woman at the front desk began. “I know I’m not supposed to put any fans through, but this girl insisted that she knows you and says she had tried to call your cell phone already. I felt bad for her…I’m really sorry-”

“It’s okay,” he interrupted her, trying his best not to loose his patience. “Did you happen to get her name?”

“Yes, she said her name was Julie Lewis.”

“Put her though,” he said quickly.

“Brian!” Julie said, relieved. She sounded like she had been crying. “I am so glad she put me through. I’m sorry. I didn’t even think about calling and asking your mom for your room number until after the receptionist put me on hold. By that time I knew it was too late and it would have pissed you off if I hadn’t been on the line, so I waited-”

“What’s the matter? You’re rambling…like you always do when something’s wrong,” he said. “Are you okay?”

As soon as she heard Brian ask, Julie burst into tears. Soon she was sobbing and almost unable to breathe. “Brian, it’s…my…” she couldn’t get the right words out.

“It’s okay. Just take a deep breath and tell me when you’re ready,” he said in a soothing voice.

“Is everything alright?” Nicole asked, giving Brian’s hand a gentle squeeze.

He shrugged and whispered, “I don’t know yet.”

Julie took another breath and let it out slowly. “It’s…” she tried to fight back her tears. “It’s daddy…he…he…died. Brian, he died last night,” she broke down again.

“Oh, God, Jules, I’m so sorry. What happened?” he asked, feeling terrible for her.

“He was going to bed last night and he just kinda collapsed. They rushed him to the hospital, but by the time my mom called me and I got there, it was too late. He had a massive heart attack. He was fine yesterday…”

“I thought your dad was already in the hospital…what happened? When did he go home?”

“The doctors said that he was just undergoing a little too much stress in his everyday life, but that was it. They kept him overnight then sent him home. I thought he was okay and then, all of a sudden, he’s gone.”

“I’m coming to Kentucky,” Brian said suddenly. “We’re supposed to be there in two days anyway. I’ll just come early.”

“You don’t have to do that…it would be too much trouble,” Julie protested.

“No, Jules, I’m coming. I’m leaving this afternoon…as soon as I can. I want to come, okay? It’s not too much trouble to be there for you,” he said, his voice soft. “I’ll get the next flight out, okay? I love you, Jules.”

“Thank you, Brian” her voice began to break again. “I love you.”

When Brian ended the call and looked up, Nicole was staring at him with her arms crossed. “So, you’re leaving today?”

“I really think I should, Nikki,” he said with a soft sigh. “She really needs some support.”

“And you need to go be that support?” she asked, eyebrows raised.

“I’ve known Julie since I was eleven, I think it would be good for me to be there. I knew her dad pretty well and I feel like I need to go.”

Nicole’s expressions softened when she realized exactly what was going on…he lost someone too. “Baby, I’m sorry. Hey, I can go with you…I don’t mind.”

“No, I don’t think that’s a very good idea,” he replied.

“Oh,” she looked hurt. Standing up, she started for the bedroom.

“I’m sorry, Nikki,” he called following her.

“No, I understand,” she stopped to look at him and replied coolly. “You’re leaving me here for Julie.”

“It’s not like that at all,” Brian defended angrily.

“Yes, it is, Brian. I’m sorry Julie’s father died. It’s unfortunate and I hate it. I have no idea what she’s going through, but I know it is painful. But Brian, you are ditching me here on this tour to go to her and that hurts.”

“Look, Nicole, I’m sorry you feel this way, but I’m going. It’s only for two days.”

“This may sound very insensitive, but if you do go, I won’t be joining you in Kentucky,” she said. When Brian nodded and went into the bedroom, Nicole closed her eyes and fought back her tears. I love you, Brian. I’m going to miss you.