- Text Size +
***LATER***

Brian sat staring out the window of the airplane thinking about what he was doing. One minute he was spending a lazy afternoon with Nicole and the next minute he was on his way to Kentucky to be with Julie. Am I doing the right thing? he asked himself for the hundredth time. Yes, of course I am. Julie needs me and she would do the same thing for me.

Glancing down at his watch, he sighed. He knew the flight wouldn’t last much longer; he decided to wait and call Nicole when he got home instead of during the flight. Knowing her temper, if Brian called during the flight she would be even angrier than before and he did not want that. He wanted to give Nicole some time to cool down before he tried to talk to her. He knew one thing was for sure, if he waited to long or didn’t call at all, Nicole not only wouldn’t be meeting him in Kentucky in two days, but she probably wouldn’t talk to him again for a while.

Brian let out another sigh as he continued to stare out the window. Waiting really sucks.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ivy was in the kitchen of the hotel suite fixing dinner. She and Howie decided to make dinner at least one night a week instead of ordering room service or eating out. Tonight was supposed to be Howie’s night to cook, but he bribed Ivy with a promise to clean up after dinner and a massage.

“Hun, can you get that?” she called to Howie when the phone began to ring.

“Sure, baby,” he replied. Ivy listened as he answered the phone. “Hello? Yeah, one sec. It’s for you,” he rounded the corner, covering the phone with one hand.

Walking over to where she could reach the phone, she told Howie, “Put it on my shoulder, please. I don’t wanna get the phone dirty. Thanks, babe. Hello?” when no one said anything, she asked Howie, “Are you sure it was for me?”

“Yes, it’s for you,” a deep, gruff voice responded. “I’m tired of playing games, Ivy. I know all about you, Ivy,” his voice was menacing and full of hate. “You’re going to pay, but when the time is right.”

“Who is this?” she whispered, just as she heard a click. Oh my God, she thought, her heart and mind racing wildly. He knows.

“Who was that?” How asked, startling Ivy.

“Huh? Oh, wrong number. Funny how they got a number with an Ivy…what are the odds?” she said, hoping Howie wouldn’t notice how badly her hands were shaking.

“Are you okay?” he asked. When Ivy nodded, he smiled. “Okay, sweetie. Boy, this smells good.” Placing a kiss on her cheek he told her, “If you need any help, let me know,” then went back to the TV.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian reached up and rang the doorbell of 415 North Walter Street—an action he had performed several times in the past. The large oak door opened slowly to reveal Mrs. Annette Lewis. Without a moment’s hesitation, he reached out and gave her a hug. He didn’t say anything. After all, what could he say?

When Annette pulled away she offered a tired smile. “It’s so good to see you, Brian. I wish this could be under better circumstances,” she paused and wiped her eyes. Smiling warmly, Annette told Brian to follow her. “It was so sweet of you to fly out here like this, Brian. Julie will be happy to see you.” Stopping at the bottom of the staircase, she motioned for Brian to go up. “She’s in her room.”

Brian made his way up the stairs and he found himself outside her door. The sign that read “Julie’s Room” was still up; standing there brought back a flood of memories. Brian used the same routine he always used—two knocks. When he peeked into the room he saw Julie’s back was to the door.

“Go away,” he heard her sniffle.

“Now, Jules, you want me to go away after I flew all the way out here,” he said jokingly.

Julie rolled over and smiled slightly. “Duckie…” she whispered through her tears.

When Julie found out Brian’s nickname was ‘Baby Duck’ she decided to adapt it so she could use it around other people. She knew there was no way she could ever call Brian ‘Baby Duck’ and he would survive. That’s where ‘Duckie’ came from…everyone just assumed that it was because of the movie Pretty In Pink. No one had to know the truth…

“Hey,” Brian said softly and sat down on the edge of her bed. Looking around, he realized nothing in her room had changed. “How ya holdin’ up?”

“I’ve been a lot better,” Julie said, fighting back a fresh wave of tears. She took a deep, shaky breath and whispered, “It’s really weird.”

Brian nodded. He could feel the tears forming in his eyes. “I know.”

“I just don’t get it,” she began to cry. “He was fine. Joking around and being himself…then the next thing I know, he’s gone.” Julie let Brian take her in his arms. “It’s not fair.”

“No, it’s not,” he agreed, “but he’s better off now. I wish there was something I could do.”

“I’m just glad you’re here, Duckie. I know you must have had things to do and I’m sorry I interrupted, but I knew I had to call you.”

“And I couldn’t be happier that you called me,” he said and placed a kiss on Julie’s forehead. “I was thrilled to come, but it’s like your mom said—I wish it could be under different circumstances.”

Leaning back on the bed, Brian pulled Julie back so her head was resting on his chest. Running his fingers through her soft hair, he began to sing softly. Before he finished, Julie’s tears had stopped and her breathing had steadied. Letting his hand rest on her back, Brian closed his eyes and soon, he was asleep as well.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AJ stood with a security guard waiting for the elevator. He decided to spend his day off shopping by himself—well, almost. He only wanted out of the hotel and away from the guys; they all wanted that. When his cell phone began to ring, he groaned. “They knew I went out to get away from everything…why do they need to call to check up on me? I am a grown man…”

Q laughed as AJ continued to complain. “You aren’t gonna answer it?”

“I shouldn’t.”

“Maybe it’s important. It might not even be one of the guys…could be your mom, and you know she’ll kick your ass.”

AJ looked at him for a moment then pulled his phone out. “Good point. Yeah?”

“AJ?”

“Yes, and who is this?”

“It’s Bianca.”

“Bean! Hey…what’s up?” What happened to you?” he asked with a laugh.

“Nothin’…just the normal stuff. I actually have something to ask you, and it’s kind of important. Are you alone? I don’t want Nick to know that I called.”

“Well, Q is with me right now, but I’m actually heading back to my room. Looks like you called at a good time.”

“I guess I have good timing,” she replied sadly.

“Okay, I’m in my room,” AJ said, shutting the door behind him. “Are you okay?”

“No, not really,” she said, truthfully. “But I don’t want to get into all of it over the phone. I have the next few days off because one of my dancers broke her leg and we have yet to find a replacement. Would you meet me in person to talk? I know y’all are gonna be in Kentucky in the next couple of days. Will you meet me somewhere to talk then? Please?”

“Sure…but what about Nick?”

“Don’t say anything to him…I can’t see him now. I’m not ready for that yet,” she said, her voice catching. “Thank you AJ. I’ll call you later.”

“Cool. Take care, Bean.”