- Text Size +
Brianna sat watching Kyra squirm around on her blanket. She was kicking her legs and cooing. Brianna smiled and lifted her daughter onto her lap. “You are a mess,” she laughed. “How did I ever get this lucky?”

Brianna jumped slightly as the phone began to ring. “That’s probably your Daddy,” she said to Kyra in a sing song voice before reaching over and greeting the caller. “Hey, baby.”

“Bree?”

“Yeah…Bianca?”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “What’s going on?” She really didn’t know what to say. It had been a month since she had talked to Brianna. “How’s Kyra?”

“She’s getting big,” Brianna felt herself smile. “How is everything? Is the tour going well?”

“Yeah, as well as could be expected. One of my dancer’s is out so I have a few days off while management finds a replacement,” Bianca answered quietly.

There was an awkward silence as Brianna thought what to say next. “Have you talked to Nick?”

“No,” Bianca said sadly.

“Don’t you think you should?”

“Oh, I know I should call him…I just can’t. It’s not that easy. I walked out and left him hanging…I doubt he would want to talk to me anyway,” Bianca answered quickly.

“You’re wrong, Bean. He’s upset, yes; he has a right to be…don’t you think? I mean, you really can’t blame him for being angry, but he loves you--”

“Okay, subject change please,” Bianca said sharply.

Brianna let out a soft sigh. “How’s the baby?” When Bianca didn’t respond right away, Brianna thought maybe she had hung up. “Bean?”

“Yeah, I’m here…the baby’s fine.”

“What’s the matter? Oh, you didn’t, Bianca…”

“No, I didn’t,” she replied.

“You’re not thinking about that, are you?” Brianna questioned. When Bianca didn’t respond, Brianna let out a disgusted sigh. “I can’t believe you.”

“Look, I’ve gotta go. This was a bad idea. Sorry I bothered you,” Bianca said and ended the call before Brianna could say anything else.

Brianna placed the phone back on its cradle. Letting out another sigh, she shook her head. No matter what happened, Bianca would always be her best friend and she loved her, but she just hoped and prayed that Bianca would make the right decision.

***THE NEXT DAY***

Everyone was up and on the tour buses prepared for a long day of driving. Kevin, Brianna and Kyra were sharing a bus, Howie and Ivy were sharing, and the two singles—AJ and Nick—were sharing.

The other guys thought maybe AJ could help cheer Nick up, but now he wasn’t so sure. After all, AJ felt a little guilty about hearing from Bianca. He didn’t know if Nick had heard from her, but he had a pretty good idea that she hadn’t called.

“Hey, Nick, you wanna play some video games or something?” AJ asked as he peeked into Nick’s bunk.

Nick was lying propped up on his side with his back to AJ and he looked like he was writing something. “No,” he said without hesitation.

AJ sighed, he was used to Nick’s one word responses—all of them were, but this was getting ridiculous. “Okay, man, but if you change your mind, I’ll be in the entertainment room.” He waited a second to see if Nick would respond; when he didn’t, AJ shook his head and left without another word.

Nick sighed to himself and continued writing. He didn’t feel like talking or playing video games—he wanted to be alone. He wanted to write because he was venting and it made him feel a little bit better. At least he wasn’t doing stuff that could get him in trouble or taking his anger out on the guys or anyone else! He let out another sigh and kept writing. It’s gonna be a long day.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***THE NEXT AFTERNOON

Brian and Julie were on their way back to Julie’s house from her father’s visitation. She was quieter than he had ever seen her, but he didn’t try and force her to talk. He was just there for her. That’s all he could do.

Looking out the window, Brian did a double take at the person coming out of the ice cream shop across the street. It can’t be.

“Brian? Are you okay?” Julie asked softly. “The light’s green.”

“Oh!” he said and immediately started forward. “Julie, can you hand me my phone?”

“Sure, is everything okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll explain everything after I make this call,” he said hitting a number on his speed-dial. “Kev, hey cuz. Is Brianna nearby? Thanks.”

“Hello?” Brianna asked confused.

“Bree…hey. I’m not gonna keep you long. I just need to ask you something. Is Bianca supposed to be in Kentucky?”

“Not that I know of, why?”

“I thought I just saw her. If it wasn’t Bean, she has a twin here in Lexington because this girl looked just like her. I just thought you might know something.”

“Okay, Bri. Maybe it was just a look-alike. What are the chances she’d be here?”

“Maybe so. Sorry I bothered you. Bye.”

“So, what was that all about?” Julie asked when Brian ended the phone call.

“I just saw a girl that looked exactly like Nick’s ex-girlfriend,” he replied.

“Well, why does that matter?” Julie asked, confused.

“No one has seen or heard from her since she walked out on Nick a month ago. I mean, we know where she is because she’s touring, but she hasn’t called or anything.”

“Aww, poor Nicky.”

“Yeah, he’s taking it pretty hard,” Brian stated. Reaching down he squeezed Julie’s hand. “We need to get you home so you can get some rest.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca flinched at the pain she was having while she waited for AJ. She had been having sharp pains most of the day, but didn’t think much about them—they were probably from all the dancing and exercising she’d been doing. Checking her watch, she saw that AJ was nearly twenty minutes late. She began to drum her fingers on the table and decided to wait a few more minutes.

Bianca looked up when she heard the bell on the door jingle as someone entered the small café. She was relieved when she saw AJ making his way toward her. “I was just about to give up on you," she forced a smile as he sat down.

“Sorry Bean, I had some trouble finding this place without asking Brian. So, are you doing okay?”

“Well, honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever been worse than I am right now,” the sadness was evident in her voice. “What about you and everyone else?”

“Nick’s fine,” he said, smiling. “He’s still not speaking more than one word to anyone, but he’s makin’ it.”

Bianca sighed heavily. “I’m glad he’s okay.”

“So, what’s the matter, Bean? I know I haven’t really been your favorite person.”

“Well, I have a really big favor to ask you, and I trust you. I’ll get right to the point. I’m pregnant,” she blurted out, watching the surprise register on his face. Bianca tore her gaze from his dark brown eyes in shame. “It’s Eric’s baby and…” her voice died.

AJ’s expression turned soft. “And you don’t want to have the baby.”

“No,” she answered, wiping her eyes. “I can’t AJ. I just can’t do it.”

(AN: Please remember this is FICTION! I am for pro-life and do not condone abortion. This is just a part of the story.)

“I understand,” he replied.

Bianca quickly looked up to meet his gaze. “You do?”

He nodded. “Yeah, but I an a little confused as to why you called me.”

“Like I said before, I trust you. And I was wondering if you could come with me to the clinic when I go? I have a few more days off and I am planning to postpone the tour for a bit longer. I could make an appointment in the next city on your tour. I just wanted you to be there for support.”

AJ looked down at the table and took in what Bianca was asking. He did understand that she was scared and needed a friend. Looking back up, he nodded slowly. “Okay, just let me know when and where.”

“Thank you, AJ,” she said, relief filling her voice as she got up to give him a hug.

AJ hugged her tighter when she started to cry again. “Don’t worry about it, sweetheart. You know I’m here for you.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick couldn’t believe what he was seeing—AJ and Bianca hugging…looking very friendly. He had only gone out to get a good cup of coffee. He wasn’t at all expecting to see his best friend and his girlfriend meeting behind his back. He could feel his face getting hot and he was quickly growing very angry.

Turning around, he pushed forcefully past a man who was coming in behind him. He mumbled an apology when the man yelled an obscenity at him. My girlfriend and my best friend… He suddenly felt like he had some packing to do. How could they? I thought she loved me….I thought they both did…