- Text Size +
Kevin paced back and forth in the emergency waiting room anxiously. On the other side of the heavy double doors he could hear the nurses working on Brianna. She was obviously in pain and Kevin's anger grew with each passing second. He needed to be with her now and was extremely upset that the doctor wouldn't let him go in.

They had all been backstage at the awards show when Trent, Kevin's personal body-guard, had rushed over to him to explain that Brianna was on her way to the hospital. Someone had found her lying on the bathroom floor bleeding slightly.

A.J. heard Brianna's mane and rushed over to Kevin and Trent. There was no way he was staying at the arena; He was going to be with Brianna. After he insisted, Trent agreed to let him go with Kevin. Bianca and Nick would be there as soon as she finished performing; Brian and Howie would stay behind to present the remaining awards the boys had been assigned to do.

Now, as Kevin paced, he wondered what could have went wrong. A.J. sat on the other side of the room wondering the same thing. Brianna had done everything her doctor told her to, took excellent care of herself and never missed an appointment--except the sonogram. She had said all along that she didn't want to see her child until it was placed in her arms. And she didn't care whether it was a boy or a girl; she'd love it just the same either way.

Hearing Bianca's voice, he looked to see her making her way over quickly with Nick close behind. She gave Kevin a hug before saying anything. "Is Bri okay?" her voice was filled with concern and she was obviously very scared for her best friend.

"I dunno, they won't let me see her," Kevin answered with an exasperated sigh. "All I know is she's in a lot of pain and I can't be with her."

Bianca began to pace as she waited for a doctor to come out and let them know exactly what was going on. She felt horrible that she had left Brianna alone. 'I would know what was going on and whether or not she was okay if I had been with her,' she thought.

"I feel like this is my fault," she began thinking out loud. "I knew she was having pains and I didn't do anything."

"Pains?" Kevin quickly looked at Bianca. "What kind of pains?"

"Cramps," she answered, now crying. Wiping her eyes she continued, "She told me they weren't bad and that she hadn't told you because she didn't want you to worry."

"You knew she was having problems and you didn't say anything? Are you stupid?" he asked in a loud, angry voice.

"Hey," Nick said, "don't start Kevin. We're all worried about Brianna."

Sitting down, Bianca put her head in her hands and began to cry harder. "Look, Kevin, I know you love Brianna, but don't act like I don't. She's my best friend and I'm scared to death. I know I should've told you and don't you think I feel bad?"

"I'm sorry, Bean," he let out sigh. "I'm just really scared. They won't tell me anything."

Bianca just nodded and let Nick wrap an arm around her. Looking over she spotted A.J. staring out the window. "I'll be right back," she told Nick.

Walking across the room she sat down beside A.J. "You okay?"

"Just worried," he answered, not looking away from the window. "I just feel helpless, ya know? Like I'm not doing anything, but I can't leave."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Bianca said, placing her hand on his arm. "She's gonna be fine, I know she will. Brianna's tough, you know that."

"Yeah," A.J. smiled slightly thinking about her. "She's definitely a fighter."

"I know. You can come over here with us if you want," Bianca offered.

"Nah, I'm okay. I'm gonna stay over here and wait for any news."

Bianca just nodded and went back over to sit beside Nick. None of them said anything, just waited and tried to be patient.

****Same Time****

"Okay, let's go," Brian said to Nicole and Ivy as he and Howie made it back to their seats from presenting the final award of the evening. "Does anybody know exactly what happened?"

"Brianna just got up to go to the bathroom and somebody found her. She had passed out and was bleeding," Nicole answered.

"I think she went into labor," Ivy added talking Howie's hand. "She was in a lot of pain."

"Does anybody know if she's okay?" Howie asked as they got into their waiting limo.

"No," Nicole and Ivy both answered.

When they got to the hospital a few minutes later, they found everyone still sitting around silently waiting. It was apparent they had still heard nothing.

Brian sat down next to Kevin and put a hand on his shoulder. "You know she'll be alright. Everything is gonna be fine."

Kevin just put his head in his hands and began to cry. "I just wish they would at least let me know she's okay and that the baby is alright."

"I know, man, Brian replied, squeezing his cousin's shoulder.”They should let you know that much."

Just as soon as Brian got his last statement out, a doctor came out. He was holding a clipboard and jotting down something. Looking up over the frame of his glasses, he glanced at everyone and spoke. "Chambers?"

Kevin stood and quickly made his way over to the doctor. "Is she okay? I'm her fiancée."

"Well, Mr.--"

"Richardson."

"Mr. Richardson, Miss Chambers is in labor now. It seems there might be a slight complication but at the moment we don't think she's in any danger."

What about my--our--baby? Is the baby okay?" Kevin's voice was pleading.

"At the moment there's no way to tell," the doctor said.

"Can I see her?"

"Not at the moment. It's going to be just a few more minutes. I'll send someone for you," the doctor answered shortly before going back into the E.R.

When the doctor was gone, Kevin broke down completely. "God, please let them be okay. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to them. You know how much I need them, he sobbed. Brian just squeezed Kevin’s shoulder again and silently prayed along with Kevin.

"What if something goes wrong? What if it's worse than they think and something bad happens?" He was talking out loud but only really to himself. "I don't know what I'd do. I'd go absolutely crazy."

"I know you would," Brian answered. "Just try not to worry, man. It won't do any good and you're gonna be sick. They're gonna let you go back there with her in just a few minutes. She's okay."

Nodding, Kevin let his tears fall silently. He couldn't help but be scared and worried. The woman he loved more than anything and his first child were in danger and he couldn't be with them. 'They can't expect me not to worry about them,' he thought angrily. 'They wouldn't be able to look past it that easily if it were them.'

Another doctor burst through the door as quickly as the first one had. Glancing over his young, tall, muscular frame Kevin scoffed inwardly. This guy looked to be younger than Kevin and couldn't possibly be any more than a Resident Assistant. Kevin's thoughts were wrong.

"Chambers," he called as he walked into the crowded room. Kevin stood. "I'm Dr. Bellows," he said without waiting for Kevin to speak a word. "I'm Miss Chambers' obstetrician now. Are you immediate family?"

"Well, no. She's my--"

"I'm sorry," Dr. Bellows said, intentionally cutting him of. "Immediate family only due to her condition." He kept walking towards the set of heavy green doors and left Kevin standing alone in front of everyone. Kevin had been on edge tonight and this was the last straw; he couldn't take anymore.

"Now you wait one damn minute," Kevin yelled before the doctor disappeared into the other room. Kevin stood right where he was in the center of the room and waited for Dr. Bellows to turn to face him from the door.

"Brianna is my fiancée. Just because she didn't have a band on her finger when she came in here doesn't make me any less important to her and it sure as hell isn't gonna keep me out here when she needs me back there." Kevin motioned with his hands as anger flashed n his steel-green gaze.

"And that baby that's fighting so hard in there would damn well count as my immediate family. So, if you don't let me through those fucking doors right now I'm gonna make my way through them and, believe me, you don't want me to do that." Kevin's fists were clenching and he gritted his teeth as he waited for the doctor to reply. The rest of the guys and the other random on-lookers all watched in shocked silence.

Dr. Bellows sighed and thought for a moment before walking back to Kevin. Putting his hand on Kevin's shoulder, he told him, "I know you're upset, Mr.--"

Richardson." Kevin interjected, still speaking through clenched teeth.

"Okay. Richardson. I just want you to know that according to out hospital policies my letting you in there is against the law. And what I'm about to do could damn well get my license to practice medicine revoked by the board of ethics. Understand?"

Kevin nodded and followed the physician through the doors. After slipping a green surgical gown over his head he asked Dr. Bellows, "What happened to the other doctor?"

"I'm going to be blunt, Mr. Richardson. Your girl-friend and your child are both in very serious condition right now and there's an extremely strong possibility that one or both of them might not make it through tonight. The other doctor didn't know what he was doing; if we had left Miss Chambers in his care she and the baby would most definitely be dead by now.

Kevin cleared his throat. That news had hit a little too close to home. "But you're doing everything you can right? I mean, she's okay now; they're gonna be fine..." Kevin was begging for the doctor to give him good news.

"I can't make any promises. I'm sorry. But I can tell you that I'm doing everything within my power to send you and Brianna home with a beautiful new baby.

"Thank you," Kevin said softly as he wiped his eyes.

"No problem, Kevin. That's what I'm here for. Now go scrub in and wash your face; I have to hurry. I’ll be in just a few minutes."

Kevin nodded and headed over to the large metal sink. Silently, he started a prayer in his head that he would repeat all night. 'Please, God, let them be okay...let Brianna and my baby survive...I need them...”