- Text Size +
“Howie!” Ivy screeched. “Please…Howie…”

Looking into her eyes, Howie sucked in a breath and made sure his voice was nothing more than a whisper. “It’s only my shoulder.”

Suddenly, Ivy felt herself being jerked back away from Howie. She watched as Howie held his chest and slid down the wall. Andrew was standing over him the entire time; he was laughing. Daniel let go of her as she sat down and made his way from the room to make sure there was no one around outside. Ivy glanced down at Howie. He had whispered to her that he had only been shot in his shoulder, but he appeared to be gasping for breath. That’s when Ivy spotted it.

The gun was only a few feet from her feet and it was behind Andrew who was still standing over Howie. He was saying something, but Ivy wasn’t listening. She was going for that gun. She made sure to stay as quiet as possible as she crept toward it. It seemed to take forever to reach the gun, but when she did, she lifted it up and pointed it at Andrew.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Daniel’s deep voice ricocheted off the walls. “Now, Ivy…you wouldn’t even know what to do with a gun.”

“I used one on you once, didn’t I?” she retorted angrily.

Turning around, Andrew’s eyes widened and he made sure not to make any sudden movements. He knew that nothing was more dangerous than a woman with a gun. His son may have scared the shit out of Ivy, but he wasn’t always smart. “Ivy…darling…put down the gun.”

“Why should I?” she cried. “You just shot Howie.”

“Put down the gun,” his voice was stern.

Before any of them knew what was happening, Ivy felt Daniel’s arms around her as he tackled her in an attempt to get the gun away from her. Then, just like before, there was another deafening blast and the silence that followed seemed to last forever. Daniel and Ivy stumbled away from one another and the gun slid across the floor.

Ivy brought her hands up to her face and was horrified to see them covered in her own blood and then she felt pain rip through her entire body. She looked down and saw the blood soaking through her shirt; she’d been shot. The pain continued to tear through her body as she staggered over to Howie.

“Ivy,” Howie’s voice came out a terrified whisper. “Baby…are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay Howie,” she managed a weak smile.

“Please…don’t let her suffer…get her some help. All you have to do is call an ambulance and then leave. I swear I won’t tell anyone that any of you were here,” Howie begged in a desperate voice. “You have to help her, or--”

Daniel interrupted Howie with a sarcastic snort. “So, you want us to call for help so she won’t die? Why should we bother saving her? She wasn’t concerned about getting help when she put a bullet in me last year.”

“Please,” Howie was holding back tears. They couldn’t do this to them. His wound was not life threatening, but he knew Ivy’s could be. Glancing down at Ivy, he saw that she was unconscious. Her skin was clammy and had paled and was no longer the deep olive it usually was. “Ivy, wake up. C’mon Ivy,” he called to her, patting her cheeks gently. He continued to try his best to rouse her.

“Call 911, Daniel,” Andrew instructed his son.

“No, she doesn’t deserve to live.”

“Call them, now,” Andrew was quickly loosing his patience with his son. “You don’t want to cross me.”

Daniel pulled his cell phone and called for help. Howie listened to Daniel’s end of the conversation.

“Yes, we have two people that have been shot. A male mid to late twenties and female early to mid twenties. No, the male is conscious and alert, but the female is unconscious and her breathing seems to be shallow. 1229 Cedar Village Road.”




“24 year old hispanic female…single GSW to lower abdomen…found unconcious at the scene… pulse is weak and thready…BP’s 105/60 and dropping,” a dark haired EMT rattled off Ivy’s stats as they wheeled her into the Emeregency Room of the local hospital.

Howie stuck close to the quickly moving paramedics as they took the gurney into a trauma room. “Do you know her name?” he heard a doctor ask. “Okay, move her on my count…1…2…3…”

“Name’s Ivy DeMora,” the EMT answered before coming back out to where Howie was watching, horrified.

“Mr. Dorough, I think you should go sit in chairs while they work on Ms. DeMora,” the petite woman said in a stern, but concerned voice.

“No,” he shook his head furiously. “I need to stay here…Ivy needs me.”

“Mr. Dorough…the doctors are working on her and there’s nothing you can do. Besides, you need to get your arm checked out soon.”

“My arm is fine,” he said defiantly as he shrugged the woman’s hands off of him.

Becoming frustrated with him, the EMT went to the triage station and looked at the nurse. “See that man over there? He’s got a GSW to the shoulder and needs to be checked out. He refuses to leave the trauma room doors because they’re working on his girlfriend…please see what you can do for him.”

“Okay, Phyllis,” the nurse nodded and decided to see what she could do herself. “Excuse me, sir?”

“Go away,” Howie turned and looked at her, rage filling his eyes.

“Sir, you need to have yourself examined by a physician. If you would just follow me…”

“Look…” Howie paused to check the nurse’s nametag, “Diane, that woman on that table is the love of my life and if she doesn’t make it, I don’t know what I will do.”

“I understand that sir, but there’s not really a lot you can do standing outside the trauma room. And you obviously need to be checked out. So please, come with me and I will have someone come talk to you as soon as they have any information. I promise you that much,” she said in a gentle tone.

Looking at her wise blue eyes, Howie gave in and decided that she was right. He was in pain even if he wanted to deny it. “Okay,” he said with a defeated nod.

“Good,” she smiled warmly. “Follow me.”

Looking around the brightly lit Emergency room, Howie couldn’t help but feel angry. Everyone seemed to be in such a good mood; they were all in the Christmas spirit. He, however, was sitting in the hospital waiting for a doctor to examine his gunshot wound while his girlfriend was near death, also with a gunshot wound. Some Christmas, he thought bitterly. Why did things turn out this way?

“Hello Mr. Dorough. I’m Dr. Caldwell,” a tall man with salt and pepper hair came up with a chart in his hands. “How are you this evening?”

“I’m peachy keen,” Howie answered, rolling his eyes at the doctor.

Ignoring Howie’s smart comment, the doctor sat down on the stool and looked up at Howie. “Is your shoulder the only place you were hit?”

“Yeah. I’m fine really, I just need some aspirin or something for the pain. Can you tell me how Ivy is?”

“No, we’ll need to clean the wound and get your arm in a sling to prevent further damage. Who is Ivy?” he asked, jotting something down on the paper.

“Okay, whatever. Please just hurry,” Howie’s voice was impatient. “Ivy is my girlfriend…I was brought in here with her.”

“Oh, yes, the trauma that was just brought in,” he said and watched a scowl come across Howie’s face. “I’m not sure, but I’m sure you will have some information soon. Now, I’m going to go and someone will be in shortly.”

“Asshole,” he mumbled as soon as the doctor was gone. Looking around, he felt completely helpless; there was nothing he could do but wait. And that was the worst thing in the world. Finally, after what seemed like years, Diane came through the door. “Any news?” he asked, his face lighting up with hope.

“They had to take her up to surgery, but shee was stable when the took her, so I think things are looking good,” she smiled showing her bright smile. Brushing a bit of her graying hair off of her forehead, she sighed. “Now, we need to get you cleaned up and good as new for that pretty lady upstairs.”




“Nick,” he heard his mother call from the kitchen. “You have a phone call.”

Breaking away from Hayley’s full lips, Nick sighed and gave her an apologetic smile. “Could you take a message, please?” Thinking that she had done as he’d asked, he turned back to Hayley and resumed his sweet torture on her lips.

“Nick…it’s Howie and it sounds important,” Jane called once again.

Sighing in defeat, Nick looked at Hayley. “I’m really sorry. I will be right back.” Walking into the den, he picked up the receiver with an irritated sigh. “This had better be good, D.”

“Nick…” Howie’s voice sounded far away. “Man, I’m sorry to interrupt you, but I know you’re the only one home.”

“What is it man?” Nick asked, concern replacing the frustration. “Are you okay?”

“No, not really. I’m in Pierson at the Volusia County Medical Center. Ivy and I had an accident.”

“Oh my God, are you okay?” Nick cried. “What happened?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, but my shoulder hurts a little. Ivy is in surgery right now, so I don’t know exactly what’s going on. I’m sorry to just call out of nowhere, but you’re the only one that I knew wasn’t out of town and I didn’t know what else to do.”

“Hey, D, it’s not a problem. Do you want me to come there and sit with you? Pierson…it’s a couple hours drive…right?”

“You don’t have to do that, Nick,” Howie’s voice was small and fragile sounding. “It’s Christmas Eve, you should be with your family.”

“And what are you, Howie?” Nick asked quickly. “You’re my family, too, and right now you don’t need to be alone. Just sit tight, and I’ll be there as soon as I can be, okay?”

“Okay,” he sounded relieved. “Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks,” he replied, trying hard to hold back his tears. “I really appreciate this.”

“Man, you’re my brother and I’m gonna do all that I can to help you out. Don’t worry about it."




Walking into the Volusia County Medical Center, Nick looked around. Howie certainly wouldn’t be expecting him this soon; he’d turned an almost two and a half hour drive into one hour and twenty-two minutes. “I’m damn lucky I didn’t get a ticket,” he mumbled quietly. Walking up to the help desk in the center of the large, open lobby, Nick cleared his throat to get the attention of the young woman sitting there doing nothing more than reading a magazine. “Excuse me?”

“Yes,” she smiled politely and put down the magazine. “May I help you?”

“Um, yeah, I’m looking for a Howard Dorough and and Ivy DeMora. Could you possibly tell me where I would find them?”

“Just one second,” she said and went to typing furiously on her keyboard. After a few minutes, she turned back to Nick. “Mr. Dorough was released from the Emergency room a while ago and Ms. DeMora was taken up to the 6th floor for surgery.”

“Thanks,” Nick said and headed for the elevators.

Luckily, there were no other passengers on the elevator with him and it didn’t stop for anyone to get on. The door soon opened, revealing the taupe colored waiting room. He often wondered why hospitals were all the same nauseating color. Looking around for Howie, he didn’t see him anywhere. Maybe he’s in the waiting room on the other side. Rounding the large nurse’s station, Nick smiled at the nurses that cast a curious glance his way. Thankfully, none of them approached him. Walking into the other waiting room, he immediately spotted Howie sitting in a chair, his head in his hands.

“Hey, man,” Nick greet quietly.

Looking up at Nick, Howie’s eyes filled with tears and he instantly got up and embraced the tall blonde. “I’m so glad you’re here.”




Nick paced back and forth beside Howie as he waited for a young man to end his conversation on the telephone. Howie had asked him to call everyone and explain what happened, and now he was waiting…becoming more impatient as the seconds ticked by. Without realizing it, he let out an irritated sigh which caused the man to turn and give him a hateful glare.

“Yeah, there’s some jerk huffin’ and puffin’ to use the phone, so I’d better go. Yeah, he looks like one of those prima donna types, so I don’t wanna make Mr. Everything mad. I’ll talk to ya later. Bye,” the man hung up and shot Nick another glare before exiting the cramped waiting room.

“Finally,” Nick muttered, picking up the receiver. He shot a quick glance in Howie’s direction and saw that he had fallen asleep on the awful taupe couch. Dialing Brian’s number, he waited patiently for someone to answer.

Hello, you’re reached the Littrell’s. Jackie’s sweet southern voice filled his ear. I’m sorry we can’t be hear to take your call, but if you leave a message with your name and telephone number, we’ll be glad to call you back. Thank you and have a blessed day!

Nick replaced the receiver before the final beep sounded; this just wasn’t a message for an answering machine. Dropping another quarter into the payphone he decided to call Brian’s cell phone once more. Just when he was about to give up, Brian answered.

“Hello?” Brian’s voice was filled with laughter.

“Bri! Am I ever glad to hear your voice!” Nick cried.

“Nick, man, I love you, but not like that,” he joked. “What’s up?”

“Uh, Howie and Ivy had an accident tonight and I’m at the hospital with him,” Nick said quietly. “Ivy’s still in surgery now.”

“What?” Brian cried with much the same reaction Nick had earlier.

“I don’t know any details, but I thought I would call everyone. Howie’s asleep for now, but he’s pretty shook up.”

“Damn it,” Brian swore quietly. “Well, where are you? I’m actually in Florida now.”

After Nick gave him the hospital and town he said his goodbyes and proceeded in calling the other two guys. AJ would be next. He began to dial AJ’s home telephone number and then remembered that Howie had said he was the only on that was at home. Dropping the quarter back into the phone he punched in the number to AJ’s cell phone and waited patiently for an answer. After three rings, he heard a soft female voice.

That cannot be who I think it is, he thought when she greeted the caller again. “Uh, is AJ around?”




Bianca froze at the voice on the other end of the line. Nick. “Um, he’s in the shower. Can I take a message?”

Nick decided that it couldn’t possibly be Bianca who answered AJ’s telephone. “Uh, no, it’s about his friend Howie, so if you could, have him call when he get a chance. It’s important.”

“What happened to Howie?” Bianca asked, worry filling her voice. “Nick…what happened?”

Closing his eyes, Nick tried not to let the jealousy he was feeling come out. This is not the time for this to be happening…I have to worry about Howie right now. “Well, he and Ivy had an accident. It’s not good, so could you please tell him I called?”

“Wait, Nick…I’ll get him!”

Nick listened and heard the phone land with a soft thud on something, a bed he presumed. He could hear faint voices in the background and then footsteps. Soon, AJ’s voice filled his ear. “Hello?”

“AJ, it’s Nick. Uh, I just thought I needed to call and tell you that Howie and Ive were involved in an accident tonight. We’re at the hospital right now and Ivy’s still in surgery.”

“Tell Howie that we’re coming back to Florida as soon as we can,” AJ said and got all the information he needed from Nick. “Nick?”

“What?” Nick’s voice was hard and impatient.

“Thanks,” AJ said quietly, emotion filling every crevice of his voice. Nick didn’t say anything and AJ heard the click when he hung up. Turning to Bianca, he sighed sadly. “I have to go back to Florida.”

“I’m coming with you,” she said with no hesitation at all.

“Are you sure you wanna do that?” he asked, taking her hand in his.

“Look, I know that Nick and I aren’t getting along at all, and I know it might be awkward, but Howie is my friend, too. I want to be there for him,” she said, tears glistening in her blue eyes.

“Okay,” AJ said and pulled her into a hug. “We need to get to an airport fast.”




Nick was still reeling from his talk with AJ when he heard someone enter the small waiting room. He was about to try and call Kevin and Brianna when the person cleared their throat. Turning around, Nick saw that it was the surgeon. He was still clad in his green scrubs and had his mask hanging around his neck, though his cap was gone. “Mr. Dorough?”

“No, that’s Howie,” Nick said and went over to Howie. “Hey, man, wake up…the doctor is here.”

It only took Howie half a second to bolt upright and greet the doctor. “How is she?” he asked eagerly.

“Why don’t you have a seat,” the docotor said. “I’m Dr. McBride. I performed most of the surgery on Ms. DeMora.”

Howie tried not to sigh too loudly, although he was becoming impatient. Why is this man beating around the bush? “How is Ivy?”

“Mr. Dorough, Ivy took a bullet to her lower abdomen and when we brought her up to surgery, she was stable. However, her internal damage was extensive and near the end of the surgery, she crashed. We worked on her for more than an hour and we used all of our capabilites. I’m sorry Mr. Dorough, Ms. DeMora died.”

Howie looked at Dr. McBride and tried to absorb the news he’d just been given. They used all of their capabilities? Ivy died? “No, there must be some mistake…she’s fine, right? You must have her mixed up with another patient,” he shook his head furiously, disagreeing with the doctor.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Dorough,” Dr. McBride apologized, the sympathy was evident in his deep voice. “Would you like to see her?”

“She’s not dead damn it!” Howie screamed and dashed from his spot on the awful couch. “You go in there and save her!”

Dr. McBride just apologized again. “If you would like to see her, have a nurse find me. I’ll leave you alone.”

Howie turned to Nick and frantically searched the young face before his own. “Tell me it’s not true, Nicky. Please tell me, she’s not really dead,” the tears were streaming down his tan face as he grabbed Nick’s shirt and shook him. “It can’t be real…it’s a bad dream that I just can’t wake up from…that’s it.”

“Howie, man,” Nick said, the tears were now flowing from his own eyes. “I’m sorry.” Taking Howie into a tight hug, Nick let him dissolve into tears. He didn’t know what to do or say, so he just kept doing what he was doing now. He held Howie in his embrace. It was the only thing he could do.