- Text Size +
“So, are you from around here?” Jon asked Brianna as they sat across from one another in the local pizza place.

“No, I’m actually from North Carolina. I just moved here around Christmas time,” she answered as she placed some pineapple in front of her daughter. “What about you? I know you’re not a Kentucky native…you sound like a Yankee.”

Jon laughed and nodded. “Guilty. I was born in Maine and moved here from California about three years ago. My father is a minister and got a job here and I stayed because I liked it so much.”

“So, you’ve done a lot of traveling,” Brianna replied before taking a sip from her glass.

“Basically. My mom and dad were missionaries when I was little and we lived in Columbia for a while,” he said with a smile.

“Do you speak Spanish?”

“Sí. Usted tiene ojos hermosos,” his grin seemed to light up his entire face.

Brianna’s eyes went wide and she smiled. “What did you just say?”

“I just said ‘Yes, I speak Spanish fluently.’ No biggie,” his grinned widened.

“Really?” she asked and glanced at Kyra to make sure she was eating.

“Actually, no,” his voice softened and he reached across the table for Brianna’s hand. “I told you that you have beautiful eyes.”

Brianna smiled and felt her cheeks redden. Slipping her hand from Jon’s she smiled again but was a little relieved when their waitress arrived to take their order.




“Hey sweet thang, you wanna dance?”

Bianca turned around fully prepared to blow off some asshole. As soon as she caught sight of the “asshole” she broke into a huge smile. “You’re such a dork, Brian.”

“Yeah, well, I’m good like that,” he grinned broadly.

“And you look like the Cheshire Cat when you grin like that,” she laughed and let him lead her onto the dance floor.

“Hey, I always thought the Cheshire Cat was cute,” Brian protested with a pout.

“I never said it wasn’t cute…I was just stating a simple fact.”

They were both quiet for a few minutes before either of them said anything else.

“So,” they both started at the same time.

Brian laughed, “You go ahead.”

“Well, I was just gonna ask how things are with Nicole,” she said.

“Oh, well, I broke it off. Things just weren’t going well with us and it was pointless to me,” he said with a sad shrug.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Bri…I didn’t realize,” Bianca felt terrible.

“No, no, it’s okay. You didn’t know. Honestly, I haven’t really talked about it with anyone,” he gave her a reassuring smile.

“Well, what about your friend? Isn’t her name Julie?” Bianca prodded a little.

Brian smiled. “Yeah...Julie. We’re just friends.”

“Oh, I see,” Bianca grinned. “Judging from your goofy grin, it is hard to believe that, but okay.”




AJ, Kevin, and Howie all sat across the club watching everyone dance. They laughed when they saw Brian dramatically dip Bianca, causing a few people nearby to stare at them.

“So, man, what’s going on with you and Bree?” Howie asked when their laughing grew quiet.

“I wish I knew,” he answered flatly. “She’s acting strange and when I asked her to come to New York, she made up some excuse to stay back in Kentucky. I just really don’t know what the hell is going on.”

“Maybe she just doesn’t want to come to New York,” AJ offered in defense for Brianna.

“Yeah, maybe,” Kevin replied, unconvinced. Wanting desperately to change the subject he looked at the two men and smiled. “How are you doing, Howie?”

“One day at a time,” came his simple reply. “I still have a hard time some days, but it’s getting easier.”

The two men nodded and AJ looked at Howie with a sly smile. “Hey, D, there’s a lady over there eyeing you.”

Howie looked up from his glass and followed AJ’s gaze across the crowded room. Sure enough, there was a woman staring in his direction. She was quite attractive with long, straight black hair hanging down the middle of her back and almond shaped brown eyes. She looks like a slightly taller Lucy Liu, he thought to himself. He gave a polite smile when she smiled at him. “Yeah, so?”

“So, why don’t you go over and ask her to dance?” Kevin spoke up and AJ nodded his agreement.

“Nah,” Howie said quietly and turned his gaze to the table.

“Why not?” AJ asked

“I just wouldn’t feel right about it.”

“D, it would be one dance. We’re not tellin’ ya to go over there and ask her to marry you,” AJ reasoned with his friend.

“AJ’s right, Howie. Just dance and enjoy yourself instead of sitting here bored out of your mind.”

Howie looked at Kevin and AJ for a second before turning to look at the beauty across the room. She was still smiling at him. “Well, I guess it couldn’t hurt to dance.”




Nick stood staring at the passing cars for a few minutes before he turned and walked back into the Manhattan club. The music was blaring and it seemed like everyone was dancing now, but he could see Bianca dancing with AJ near where their table was located. He stood and watched them for a few minutes, wishing he was the one dancing and holding her so close. He watched as Bianca leaned in close to tell AJ something before she pushed herself through the crowd toward the bathroom.

Deciding this was his only opportunity to talk to Bianca alone, he quickly weaved through the people and followed her. To his relief, there weren’t any other people standing outside the bathrooms.

“Bean…I just need to talk,” Nick mumbled to himself as he tried to get his thoughts straight. “Can we talk? She’s not gonna want to talk…”

Suddenly, the bathroom door flew open startling Nick out of his thoughts. He was disappointed to see a short blonde headed girl come out of the bathroom instead of Bianca. She gave him the once over before heading back out into the sea of dancing people, leaving Nick to his thoughts once again. “I just want to tell you-”

The door opening interrupted Nick again and this time Bianca emerged, straightening her skirt and tank top. She was looking down to make sure her appearance was okay and didn’t see Nick come out of the corner to stand in front of her.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said quickly when she bumped into him. “I didn’t see…Nick, what are you doing?”

“Bianca, we need to talk,” Nick said pleadingly.

“We have nothing to talk about,” she stated simply and tried to brush past him, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him.

Pushing her gently against the wall, he leaned in close and placed his hands on either side of her face. “Please.”

“Nick, we have nothing to talk about,” Bianca’s gaze hardened and she tried to slip out of his grasp, but he only leaned in closer making sure there was no space between their bodies.

Nick leaned down so his lips were only centimeters from hers and closed his eyes. I shouldn’t be doing this… Ignoring his mind, he closed the tiny gap between them and let his lips gently seize hers. When he felt Bianca responding to his kiss, he slowly pulled away and looked down at her.

She was braced against Nick’s body with her eyes closed. Taking a deep breath, Bianca opened her eyes and looked up into Nick’s. The pain in her eyes seemed to mirror the pain in Nick’s.

“Nick…w-we really can’t keep doing this; we need to move on with our lives,” Bianca said quietly as she tried once again to free herself from Nick.

Nick held her in place and forced her to look at him. “Damn it Bianca, why do you always walk away? Can’t you see how much you mean to me? I’m going out of my mind.”

Taking another deep breath, Bianca tried to keep the tears that were stinging her eyes from breaking free. “It’s not that simple, Nick. I…we… there are other people involved now. I care about AJ so much and he cares about me. We can’t just-”

Nick shook his head and placed his finger delicately on Bianca’s lips. “Bianca, I was born to love you, and I always will. Every time I have to watch you walk away, I can feel my heart shatter a little more. And you still love me, too. I can see it…your eyes give you away.”