- Text Size +
Kevin had been sitting on the floor outside Brianna’s hospital room for so long his body was numb. He could hear Brianna talking to A.J. inside. He closed his eyes and exhaled slowly; she sounded as beautiful as she looked. Her voice always sounded so sweet to Kevin whether she was talking, singing, crying, or laughing. He was just about to get up and go inside when he heard someone approaching.

“Hey, Kev. Why are you sitting out here all alone?” It was Bianca.

“Oh, hey,” Kevin smiled. “I, uh, just got back from the nursery and I was listening to Bri. She’s talking to A.J.”

“Yeah, I’d watch that shit, too if I were you.” Kevin was confused, but before he could say anything Bianca had plastered on a fake smile and went inside.

“Hey Bree,” Bianca poked her head in the door. “How ya feelin sweetie?”

Brianna smiled. She knew her best friend wouldn’t let her down. “I am so sore. Those little angels sure did feel bigger than they look.”

“I can’t even imagine,” she sighed. “I’m really glad you’re okay.” Sitting down on the edge of the bed, she looked down. “I wish I had been here.”

“It’s alight, Bean. There’ll be other stuff for you to be there for.”

”Yeah, that’s true, but my best friend just had her first baby. That’ll never happen again,” she said, casting an almost hate-filled glare toward A.J.

“Actually, her first and second. Um, you missed ‘em both,” A.J. snickered.

“What?” Bianca was very confused. “What are you talking about?”

Kevin beamed broadly and slid into the bed next to Brianna. Slipping his arms around her, he snuggled against her body and kissed the side of her neck. “Bri had twins. A girl and a boy,” he told Bianca proudly.

“And they’re beautiful just like their mommy,” A.J. added, looking at Brianna, who was blushing. “I saw them earlier.”

“Well, it wasn’t all my fault I wasn’t here. Some of us were lucky,” she once again shot daggers at A.J. “I can’t wait to see ‘em, Bree. I bet they’re so adorable.”

“Actually, the last time I saw ‘em, they were still gooey,” she smiled. “They have to stay in special incubators and the nurses told me they wouldn’t advise me to get out of bed. But A.J.’s right; they’re both beautiful. They have my nose and mouth and Kevin’s green eyes. Tons of curly black hair. They’re the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. Me and Kevin just fell in love with both of them.” Looking over, Brianna saw the tears in Kevin’s eyes as he looked back at her.

“Aww...” Bianca beamed. “I can’t wait till I can hold them. I bet they’re so tiny and just....aww...I love babies. ‘Aunt Bean’. That sounds good.”

“Not quite as good as ‘Uncle A.J.’” he volunteered. “No, I like ‘Uncle Bone’ better,” he finished with a grin.

“Yeah, what the fuck ever,” she rolled her eyes. “They need to know that Uncle Bone is an asshole that will get them in trouble. Lots of trouble.”

Kevin just laughed and nuzzled Brianna’s hair. “Nothing sounds as good to us right now as mommy and daddy. Right, boo?”

“Yeah,” Brianna agreed in a soft voice. “Hey, A.J., why don’t you take Bean to the nursery to see Kyra and Christian?”

“Fine,” A.J. mumbled. “C’mon hoss. Visiting hours are almost over. Besides, I think they want to be alone.”

“Don’t ever call me that ever again you prick,” she pointed her finger in his face and pushed past him. “You’ve probably already worn out your welcome anyway.”

A.J. just rolled his eyes and followed her into the hallway grumbling something under his breath. “Stop being a bitch A.J., damn,” Bianca huffed. “You’re as bad as a woman.”

“Yeah. So are you,” he said smiling. “When you grow up to be one, little girl, I’ll agree with you, but right now your words are going right over my head.”

“You know what, A.J, just drop it okay?” she said, fighting the urge to slap him. “I wanna see the babies, not listen to you.”

****IN THE HOSPITAL ROOM****

Kevin sighed and ran his hand over Brianna’s forehead. Opening her eyes, she looked at him and smiled. “Do you know how much I love you?” he asked, his voice filled with emotion.

“Yeah, but you can tell me again. I don’t mind at all,” she smiled and placed her hand on the side of his face. “I’m really happy.”

“Baby, I didn’t know anyone could be this happy.” Placing a line of kisses from her forehead to her mouth, he let his lips linger against hers. He brushed her hair out of her face and smiled. “I’m so lucky....I have you--the love of my life--and two beautiful babies.”

“I love you baby.”

“Darlin’, I don’t intend on ever letting you go,” he laced his fingers in hers.

“You don’t have anything to worry about,” she kissed him lightly before they were interrupted by a knock on the door.

********

“Well, they’re down here,” A.J. said walking down the hall. When they turned the corner, the nursery was in full view in front of them. “Kyra and Christian are in the very back.”

“No, they’re not, Mr. Wizard. Kyra’s right here,” Bianca said pointing to the front of the glass window. “She’s the only ‘Richardson; Girl’ in here. Besides, that incubator’s empty. I don’t see Christian anywhere.”

A.J.’s eyes scanned the group of babies. “He’s got to be in there somewhere. I was just down here with Kevin a few minutes ago. Maybe they’re just feeding him or something.”

“Wouldn’t they take him to Brianna for that? And they would’ve taken Kyra, too.” Bianca read the nametag on ever crib slowly. “There’s not even a Richardson boy listed. A.J., what if something’s wrong?”

“Let’s not think like that.” A.J. glanced around for a nurse that could tell them where the infant was. Spotting a candy-striper rocking a baby in the corner, he tapped on the glass.

The young girl came out of the nursery cradling a blue clad child in her arms. “Can I help you?” she asked politely.

A.J. lifter the blanket from the baby’s face. It was bald, pale, and had deep brown eyes. “Cute kid,” he chuckled trying unsuccessfully to hide his nervousness, “but not the one we’re looking for.”

Bianca took A.J’s arm and turned her eyes to the nurse. “We’re looking for the Richardson boy. Christian. Can you tell us where he is?”

“I’m sorry, Miss. I’m not allowed to say. The parents are the only people we’re allowed to give that sort of information to.”

“But please,” A.J. begged. “We’re very good friends of...”

“Kevin and his girlfriend. I know. I do recognize your group,” the girl replied.

“Thanks,” A.J. said blushing. “Who’s your favorite Backstreet Boy?”

“Nick.”

“Thank you,” Bianca said. “My boyfriend is a cutie, huh?”

“Back to Christian!” A.J. snapped at both of them, causing them both to jump.

“Sorry,” they replied in unison.

“I still can’t tell you anything, A.J. We’re not allowed.”

A.J. sighed in defeat. “I understand.”

“Yeah,” Bianca added, “sorry we bothered you.”

“It’s okay,” the nurse said. She moved the baby to her shoulder and resumed her spot in the rocking chair.

Bianca turned back to the window and looked down at Kyra. “She’s so pretty. She’s just as perfect as I’d want my baby to be.” She ran her finger over the cool glass.

“Yeah,” A.J. agreed. “Believe it or not, I can’t wait to have kids one day. I’m kind of jealous of Kevin right now.”

“Yeah, but with my schedule I’d better just stick to playing with Bree’s new family. To be honest, though, I’m kind of jealous, too. It feels kinda weird when your best friend has a baby,” Bianca laughed. “Bree’s always wanted kids. A whole house full.”

“She’ll make a great mom,” A.J. replied. “She’s done a pretty good job with you.”

“Thanks,” Bianca said sarcastically. “Let’s go grab some lunch in the cafeteria and give them some time alone. Then we’ll come back and find out about Christian after we eat.”

****SAME TIME: KEVIN AND BRIANNA’S ROOM****

“Come in,” Kevin said pulling his lips away from Brianna’s neck. Thinking it was only Bianca or one of the guys, Kevin resumed kissing his way down to Brianna’s shoulders. A deep voice cleared its throat from the doorway and Kevin looked up. Sitting up, he slid his arm around Brianna’s shoulders and greeted Dr. Bellows with a nod; Brianna smiled and put her hand on Kevin’s knee.

“Sorry if I, uh, interrupted anything,” Dr. Bellows started. Clearing his throat again, he continued, “I have some bad news.” He walked over and sat down on the end of the bed.

Brianna swallowed hard to push down the lump in her throat. “What is it?” Kevin was silent. He didn’t know what to expect.

“Well, one of the...uh, Christian...shit. I don’t have to do this often at all. Everyone on my staff did everything they could. I’m so sorry. We lost Christian.”

Brianna closed her eyes and listened to Kevin start to cry. His arm slid from her shoulders as his sobs got louder. Brianna held his head against her shoulder and rubbed the back of his neck. “Where is he?” Kevin finally asked.

“He’s in the morgue, Kevin. In the basement. He’ll stay there until you and Brianna decide what to do with him.”

“What do you mean ‘what to do with him’?” Kevin asked defensively.

“Well, some people find that it’s easier for them to handle if they never actually see the baby. The hospital just handles the body.”

“NO!” Brianna said sharply. “That’s my baby,” she said in a hoarse voice. “Not yesterday’s garbage.”

“I understand--”

“She’s right,” Kevin added, getting up to pace the room. “I want my son buried in Kentucky. Next to my...my daddy.” He looked at Brianna pleadingly as the tears flowed again.

Brianna nodded. “Whatever you want, baby. I’ll understand.”

“I’ll leave you two alone, then.” Dr. Bellows got up to leave the room.

“Wait,” Brianna said. “What about Kyra?”

“She’s fine. Doing great. A nurse will probably bring her down for a feeding soon. I’ll leave you two alone now.”

When Dr. Bellows left, Kevin slid up next to Brianna again and laid his head on her shoulder. She could feel his tears puddling against her neck and she felt his body shaking, but he was completely silent. “Baby,” she whispered, “are you okay?”

“No,” he choked back.

“Me either.”

Kevin slid his arms around Brianna and they cried, holding each other. “I’m sorry, baby,” she told him.

“Bri, it’s not your fault. You couldn’t have helped anything. You heard the doctor. We all did everything right.”

Brianna nodded silently, rubbing Kevin’s back as he cried over his lost little boy. She knew how badly he had wanted a son and how over-joyed he had been the first time he had held Christian. Kevin was already planning a future full of father-son talks, camping trips, days away from mommy and everything else real daddies do with their little boys.

Brianna’s heart ached for Kevin. He had lost his own father far too early in life and now had list his first son. She was going to miss having two babies to love and she felt like an actual part of herself had died with Christian. Brianna tightened her grip on Kevin and let her own tears fall. They still had each other and Kyra, but Christian’s death still hurt. Kevin twirled her hair around his fingers and Brianna rubbed his neck and in the cold darkness of her hospital room the both cried themselves to sleep.