- Text Size +
“They’re asleep AJ. Maybe we should let them sleep for a little while,” Bianca said peeking into the hospital room. “I mean, considering everything she’s been through, she sure as hell does deserve the rest.”

“Kevin probably had sympathy pains. That’s why he’s so tired,” AJ laughed. Seriously he said, “You’ve seen them in bed together before, right? Are they always so…clingy? It’s like they’re stuck together. That must be hot.”

“Ya know, come to think of it, they’ve never really seemed that close when they sleep. Not that I can remember. They’re always close, but not usually that close,” Bianca replied. “I mean, Brianna snuggles, but damn. They’re…they seem so desperate.”

“I think we should go in,” AJ said. “I have a bad feeling.”

Following him into the room, Bianca walked to the other side of the bed. She placed a hand on Brianna’s forehead and sad down. “Bree?” she whispered. “Bree, sweetie, wake up.”

“Hey, Kev,” AJ began, “Y’all okay?”

Slowly, Kevin and Brianna began to wake up. Kevin shook his head as if ridding himself of thick, sticky cobwebs and Brianna rubbed her eyes. Suddenly, the harsh reality of the situation hit her and she burst into tears.

“Bree? What is it darlin’?” AJ asked, his alarm rising with her every gut wrenching sob.

Kevin enveloped her tiny, fragile frame; her tears seemed never-ending and she was unusually pale. She looked like she had been trough chemotherapy or some other treatment and the side effects were catching up.

“Bree, baby, calm down, okay?” Kevin spoke softly with his lips pressed against Brianna’s head. “I love you, Boo.”

“What’s the matter?” Bianca asked, fearing the worst. Saying a silent prayer she took a deep breath and asked, “Is it Christian?” Bianca could feel her own tears forming. The little human being that would’ve been her “nephew” was gone. Brianna and Kevin didn’t have to tell her. No matter how hard she prayed, she knew it was too late.

“They did all they could,” Kevin’s voice was hollow and sounded nothing like normal. “He was just too weak.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Bianca said. This was one moment when she didn’t know what to do. She wanted more than anything to provide comfort for Brianna and Kevin; saying “I’m sorry” just seemed stupid and meaningless, but she said it. What could you say? Her best friend lost her baby and was torn apart. There didn’t seem to be anything she could do to help.

“Why? Why did my baby have to die? It’s not fair that he was taken from me so soon,” Brianna said, the anger evident in her voice. Burying her face in Kevin’s shoulder, she began to sob again.

“She just needs to rest,” Kevin stated exhaustedly. Bianca and AJ nodded and headed for the door. “I’ll call you if we need anything.”

**LATER**

Bianca and AJ sat across the lobby from one another, waiting for their friends to arrive. The silence was uncomfortable and murky with tension and it seemed to be lasting forever. Bianca closed her eyes and leaned her head on her hand, trying to relax. Just as she began to doze, the elevator doors opened, filling the lobby with noise.

“Hey, you,” Nick sat down beside Bianca and slipped his arm around her shoulders.

“Hey,” she forced a small smile, trying very hard to look happy. “I’m glad you’re here.”

“Are you okay?” Nick’s voice and expression were full of concern.

“I’m fine baby. Just a little tired.”

“Hey, why don’t you come with Ivy and me to the cafeteria to get some coffee? You look like you could use it,” Nicole smiled.

“No, I’m okay. Thanks.”

“Bean, you can go. Get a little something then come on back. If anything happens, I’ll come get you,” Nick said giving her hand a squeeze. Kissing the side of her head he added, “You need something. You haven’t eaten anything today. Go!”

“Okay, fine. C’mon Nicole. C’mon Ivy.”

As soon as the doors to the elevator closed, Brian asked, “What’s going on?”

Taking a deep breath, AJ sighed. “Well, there were some complications. Apparently Christian was very weak and after they had done everything possible, the doctors finally had to give up. They lost Christian this morning.”

“Oh, no. Man, how are Kevin and Brianna? I know they can’t be taking it well,” Brian said, his voice full of emotion.

“No, they aren’t taking it well at all. Bree basically broke down and Kev is well on his way. They needed some time alone,” AJ answered. Pinching the bridge of his nose he added, “I’m really worried about them.”

“Is there anything we can do?” Howie asked.

“Not right now. All any of us can do now is wait.”

**INSIDE THE ROOM**

“Bree, baby, we’ll get through this. Christian is better off now. He’s not suffering and that’s better than having him live a life of nothing but pain.

“Yeah, but I just feel like he was cheated somehow. He didn’t deserve to die; he was too young. Christian should’ve been able to live his life--a normal life full of events that were only important to us because he is our son. That’s all I wanted for him, Kevin, but he’ll never have any of that. It just doesn’t seem fair.”

“There’s nothing we can do, baby. He’s gone. I hate that, but it won’t change. As much as I wish it would, I know it won’t. But we still have Kyra, baby. Our daughter. She needs us, Bree. Kyra needs us to be strong so we can take care of her. We can’t let her down.”

Nodding, Brianna sighed. “I know. You’re right, baby, but it just hurts.”

Kissing Brianna’s forehead, he sighed and let his lips remain on her head. “I know is hurts, darlin’. I know it does. We’ll get through this, I promise. I love you darlin’.”

“I love you too, Kevin.”

**********

Nicole, Ivy, and Bianca sat at a table in the cafeteria. The entire room was quiet and the girls sat staring into their cups of coffee. Ivy finally spoke. “Did they know anything was wrong with Christian?”

“Apparently not. Kevin and Brianna just found out. It was terrible,” Bianca said. Sighing, she continued, “Brianna completely broke down when they told AJ and me about it. She’s my best friend, but I’ve never seen her quite like that.”

“My sister went through something similar,” Nicole said. “The only difference was she only had one baby and lost it. She was torn to pieces, but she got through it. Now she has two kids, one’s two years old and the other is four; she hasn’t forgotten and she never will, but she’s stronger because of that experience.”

“Bree’s tough anyway,” Ivy said. “She’ll be okay. Especially with someone like Kevin there for her.”

**********

The group made plans to travel to Kentucky together. Since the tour was postponed, they wouldn’t have a problem with scheduling. Brianna and Kyra were released from the hospital four days later. They recovered quickly and exceptionally well.

Kevin and Brianna made plans for a small, private funeral. Christian was to be buried next to Kevin’s father, as he had requested. The ceremony was private and very emotional. The only people in attendance were the Boys, Brianna, Bianca, Nicole and Ivy.

Kevin and Brianna held each other throughout the entire service; crying together as they were forced to let go of the son they didn’t have the chance to hold on to. On the afternoon of June 12, Christian was laid to rest and an angel went back to Heaven.