- Text Size +
**EARLY JULY--FLORIDA**

Brianna groaned when she heard a knock on her door. Kyra had just fallen asleep and Brianna knew that if she woke up, there was no chance she’d fall asleep again for a while. Very carefully Brianna got up; she moved ever so slowly. Breathing a silent sigh of relief, she placed Kyra in her crib and got to the door before the visitor decided to ring the doorbell.

As soon as she got the door open, Brianna was greeted by two tattooed arms wrapping her in a warm hug. “Hey sweet thang. How ya doin’?”

“Hey AJ,” she smiled and hugged him again. “What brings you by?”

“Well, I had to come check on my two favorite girls. I just wanted to see how y’all are doing.”

“I’m glad you decided to stop by. I was thinking about calling you, anyway.”

Smiling AJ walked over to the crib and gazed down at the sleeping child. “Now you don’t have to call.” He gently ran his finger over Kyra’s forehead and cheek. “She’s beautiful, Bree. She looks just like you.”

“Thanks,” she said, a slight blush creeping onto her cheeks. “Do you want anything? A soda or something to eat?”

“No thanks, I’m fine. Besides, I came to see you and Kyra, not eat your food,” he grinned. “Where’s Kevin?”

“He had to go to the store to get a few things.”

“Bree, are you doing okay?” AJ suddenly turned serious. Taking her hand, he stammered, “I mean, I know things have been hard-”

“I’m doing better,” she smiled at his concern. “It’s taking time, but I’m getting through. I’m very grateful to have people that love me and care so much.”

“If you ever need anything, just let me know, okay?”

Nodding, she smiled again. “You’re coming to Bean’s party, right?”

“Of course. You know I never miss a good party. Even if it is for such a spoiled brat, I’ll be there,” he answered seriously.

“Are y’all still fighting? I thought you two settled things,” Brianna looked at him with a stern gaze.

“We did, but Bianca is still a spoiled little brat who thinks the world revolves around her,” he stated in a factual tone. “Some things are hard to accept.”

“AJ”

“What? I’m only telling the truth.”

“Be nice.”

“Okay, fine.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian sat in his car waiting for Nicole. Looking at his watch, he thought about blowing the horn again, but decided against it. He didn’t want to risk started off his day with her on a bad note. They were going to buy decorations and shop for Bianca’s birthday. After Nick had mentioned a party, Nicole insisted that she and Ivy take over planning because, “Nobody can plan a party like a girl!” Even though it wasn’t a surprise party, and Bianca knew all about it, they wouldn’t let her help plan either. Ivy and Nicole told her to sit back and let them handle things. They had the funding from Nick and he made it clear to the girls that it didn’t matter how much it was as long as Bianca was happy.

“Hey baby,” Nicole greeted Brian as she got in the car. Leaning over and giving him a kiss, she smiled, “Sorry I made you wait.”

“It’s okay darlin’,” he kissed her again. “We aren’t late or anything.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Where are you off to?” Howie asked as Ivy grabbed her keys and purse.

“I’m meeting Nicole to get some more decorations,” she said. “Wanna come with me? Brian’s gonna be there.”

“Nah, I’ll stay here and clean up,” he answered.

“Okay,” she shrugged, hiding her disappointment. “I’ll be back later.”

Grabbing Ivy’s hand he pulled her back to him and kissed her. When they broke way, both were breathless. Smiling, Howie said, “You might have a surprise waiting for you when you get back.”

“Really? Well, I’ll be looking forward to that. I’m excited already.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Bean,” Nick said, trying to get his girlfriend’s attention. “Bean…Bianca.”

She was propped against the arm of his couch listening to a CD and flipping through a magazine. Nick decided to move her earphones to get her attention. “Bianca?”

“Yeah?” she asked, closing her magazine and turning the CD player off.

Nick smiled; he couldn’t help it. She was an international pop star who seemed to be getting more popular by the second, yet to look at her at that very moment you’d never know it. In the public’s eye Bianca Parker was graceful and elegant, but in Nick’s eyes she was a normal 18 year old girl who liked to have fun. She made mistakes and maybe she didn’t always look perfect, but to him she was. Looking at her dark, denim cutoffs and tank top, he smiled again. His smile grew wider as he looked at her hair pulled into a high ponytail which made her look like a little girl.

“I love you,” he said causing her to smile.

“I love you, too, Nicky,” she said linking her fingers with his.

“I was wondering what you wanted for your birthday?”

“I dunno, baby. I haven’t really thought about that. It’s nothin’ big. I don’t even know why Ivy and Nicole insist on a party. I mean, I’m only turning nineteen,” Scrunching her nose up she laughed, “Y’all aren’t gonna get me drunk again are you?”

He laughed remembering her eighteenth birthday celebration. Nick, Brianna, and the rest of the guys had taken her out and everyone except Brian and AJ (because he was driving) had gotten a little tipsy. “No, nothing like that.”

“Well, a part is nice, but it’s too bad you and I can’t have a private celebration. I bet I’d like that better,” her voice dropped and she pulled him in for a kiss.

Groaning, Nick kissed her back hungrily. “That would be nice. You know, we can always leave early.”

“I love you,” she smiled against his lips.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**THREE DAYS LATER**

“So, you have a list of everybody that’s coming?” Ivy asked. She, Nicole, Brianna, and Bianca were all sitting around making final preparations for the next day.

“Don’t you guys think all of this is a little much? I mean you’re making such a big deal out of everything…I’m only turning nineteen.”

“Only turning nineteen?! What are you talking about? You only turn nineteen once!” Nicole shrieked.

“Are you really not excited?” Brianna asked.

“It’s not that I’m not excited and don’t think that I’m being ungrateful; I think it’s awesome y’all are throwing me a big, huge party,” she paused to think. “I just don’t think nineteen is a big deal is all. Not for me anyway. I feel very lucky to be turning nineteen, but it’s not a milestone I guess.”

“Well, we’ll make it one,” Ivy said with a mischievous grin, causing the other three to laugh. “You won’t forget this birthday.”

“I hope not…I’m still trying to remember last year!” Bianca retorted, causing them to giggle again.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**THE NEXT MORNING**

“What time does this big bash start tonight?” Brian asked Nick as they sat around playing a video game.

“I dunno…early.”

“Well, that’s pretty much a given fact, man. What’s up with you? You’ve been acting funny all day.”

“Nothin’, I’m okay. Just thinking about some things,” Nick answered quietly. “Damn it,” he said when Brian beat him at the game.

“Man, spill it. Just tell me what’s up.”

“I’m just thinking about Bean. That’s it.” Smiling, he sighed. “I’m not upset or anything. I was just thinking about how special she is to me.”

“Oh,” Brian said, feeling almost as though he had intruded into Nick’s thoughts.

“I just hope she’s enjoying her day out with the girls. She deserves it. We had out alone time last night and I gave her birthday present to her at midnight,” he said. “We just had a quiet dinner and enjoyed each other.”

“That’s good, man.” Brian was happy for his best friend. “What did you give her?”

“A bracelet. It wasn’t much, but it looked like her and she loved it; that’s all that matters.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, Kev,” AJ said, letting himself into the house. “What ya up to?”

“Just taking care of my baby girl while her mama is out,” Kevin answered, but directed it towards his daughter in baby talk.

“Oh, Bree’s not home?”

“No. She’s with Bianca, Nicole and Ivy helping get everything ready for tonight.”

“Oh, okay. My mom is excited about keeping Kyra tonight. She said to call her before you leave so she can have everything ready.” AJ smiled. “She says she’s gonna spoil her as rotten as us.”

Kevin chuckled. He felt very comfortable about Kyra staying with Denise while he and Brianna were at the party. He knew he didn’t have anything to worry about and they could enjoy themselves. “It definitely won’t matter. Kyra is already spoiled.”

“Like me,” Brianna’s voice unexpectedly filled the room. “How is my little angel?” Taking her daughter into her arms, Brianna sprinkled tiny kisses all over her face. Leaning over she kissed Kevin softly on the lips. Smiling at AJ she asked, “What are y’all up to?”

“Nothing at all. Just oohing and ahhing over Kyra,” AJ answered with a smile.

“Well, at least you’re preparing her for the future,” Brianna grinned. “Daddy will have to beat the boys away from you, won’t he? Yes, he will.”

“Well, I guess I’ll go on home and start getting ready for the brat party,” AJ said, using the nickname he had given Bianca’s birthday party. “I’ll see y’all later.”

“Bye,” Kevin and Brianna answered together.

Turning to Kevin, Brianna smiled. “I love you, baby.”

“I love you, too,” he kissed her slowly. “And we both love this pretty little girl,” he dropped a kiss on Kyra’s forehead.

“What time is Denise expecting us?” Brianna asked.

“We’re supposed to call her before we leave. So I’m guessing any time.”

“I’m glad she doesn’t mind keeping Kyra during the party. I was really worried she would have something to do. I was kinda worried I’d feel like we were dumping something on her,” she confessed.

“Are you kidding me?” Kevin laughed. “Denise is so excited about this. She acts like Kyra’s her own grand-daughter. She’s also very headstrong, like you. If Denise had other plans or just didn’t feel like keeping Kyra, she would’ve let us know flat out.”

“I know,” Brianna laughed. Smiling sheepishly, she added, “I guess part of me just isn’t ready to leave her yet. I know it sounds silly, but this is gonna be a little weird.”

“Darlin’, that doesn’t sound silly at all. I feel the exact same way, but I’m more comfortable knowing that Kyra is with someone we know and trust. Besides, if something does happen, which it won’t, she won’t have any problems getting a hold of is. We’ll go to Bean’s party and enjoy ourselves.”

“Okay,” she smiled. Giving him a soft kiss on the lips, she mumbled, “At least we know Denise doesn’t mind keeping Kyra. We’re gonna have to ask her to make plans to watch her one night soon.”

“That sounds like a very good idea,” Kevin replied, smiling against Brianna’s mouth.”