- Text Size +
A/N: Well, I got an interesting topic I’m gonna write about. Remember this is fiction, not real and hope you enjoy this. Try to review please, thanks.

“A Broken Soul”
**~Chapter 1~**

I was told as a child: ‘Hold your friends close, your enemies closer.’ What I didn’t realize was how much truth it held for me. This statement resounded in my life as I grew up, exposed at an early age to the horrors and pleasures this world had to offer. I open my eyes and stare around the quiet hotel suite. My eyes gaze at the red letters of the alarm clock- 3:23 am. I should be asleep now, getting some rest for what the day has in store, but how can I? The quiet whispers of people out in the hallway conferring the fears that clutched in my chest nagged at me. I feel confused, upset, and angry; wanting to reflect my anger at whomever caused this pain that now dwells in my heart. I was told to stay in my suite until the police needed to question me, but how can I just sit here after what is happening? My friend needs my help, “I should have been there.” I whisper to myself, “I could have stopped it. I could have done something, anything to save him. But I didn’t.” And that was what was gnawing at me tonight. I just couldn’t sit here in this room and stare at a wall. If sleep won’t be my comforter then nothing can help. I need to see anyone, one of the guys, just hear one of their voices letting me know everything’s gonna be ok. It seemed my prayers were answered.

Suddenly the hotel phone lying on the mahogany bedside dresser rings, taking me out of my thoughts. I pick it up to hear a comforting voice.

“Hey Nick, how you dealing with everything?” Kevin’s deep voice filters my ears.

Sighing, I look up at the ceiling fan frozen in its movement, “Don’t really know. Angry I guess. I’m just messed up with all that’s happening. What about you and the others? I ask, hoping to distract Kevin away from my feelings. I don’t like the fact I was showing my weaker emotions but it was hard to maintain strong under all the pressure.

“I feel the same way buddy. Brian went out to the hallway for a walk and Howie is staying pretty quiet about this whole thing.” Kevin states, his strong voice cracking a bit at the end. “Listen I’m getting called on to get questioned. You just try to rest for now. I know this whole thing is insane.”

“Wait!” I shout out before Kevin was about to hang up.

“What is it Nicky?” Kevin asks concerned. I smile knowing Kevin haven’t called me that in ages. I can already see Kevin, staring at me like a mother who holds her child during those ‘scary nights.’ His eyes would be wide open as he would try to hug me for comfort, for the both of us. I wanted to tell him I was scared, that whenever I close my eyes all I can hear is the scream that ripped through the walls only hours ago.

But my voice failed me and all that I could manage to whisper was that I wanted to see the room.

“Nick. Don’t go there! You heard what the police said. Stay in your room. They’re investigating the suite, you can’t be in there when their doing that.” Kevin harshly whispers, as if afraid to speak up.

I sigh, “Please, I need to see what is done. So I can rest tonight, so I can know what the story is.”

“Nick don’t!” He screamed, “Don’t you think about it. We already have enough problems. Don’t make this harder on us. I’ll come over in a few when I’m done. Don’t move please Nick!” He states practically begging me, but knowing full well what my intentions are. I never do seem to listen and he knew that, it seemed I had won and he knew that too.

“Kevin, just this once, please. It’s important for me.” I say, whispering.

I can hear Kevin sigh, knowing he was defeated. He knew I wouldn’t listen to him on this account. “Nick, you don’t need to see what’s in that room. You won’t like what’s in there. It’ll give you nightmares to see what happened there. Please this one last time, Nick don’t go there, you’ll only cause yourself more grief.”

I say bye and hang up the phone and with that, I grab my hotel card and leave my room heading to A.J.’s room.
~*~
I walk near the open hotel room, darkness surrounds the bedroom and the only thing I can see is the yellow tapes: POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS stuck across the threshold of the doorway. Murmurs from the police men engulf the hotel suite as they walk out of the room, shaking their heads in disbelief. They didn’t seem to notice me and walk past me. They were too busy too notice me slipping under the police tapes entering the forbidden room. The room felt cold to the touch as the autumn breeze filters within the open glass sliding door leading to the balcony. My eyes stare at the deserted hotel suite, the king size mattress stained in blood, aligned with scratches and ripped. I go under the tape in the front door and stare around the area. I know I’m not supposed to be here because I can damage and ruin clues, but I need to see if it really happened. My hands touch the cold walls and I feel a draft coming in the room. The walls I manage to see had bloody hand marks smeared on it. At this, my heart banged against my chest as frightening images filled my head. Across the white rug, I can see big splotches of crimson blood leaving its death stains behind to conjure and remind viewers of the incident. I peer over to a window to see the bright red lights of the police cars and ambulance. I stare at the empty bed and feel sadness overcome me.

“Nick, we will find out who did this. The police are still searching for suspects and witnesses to the crime. Buddy, stay strong for us. We need you, A.J. needs you.” A familiar voice states through all the commotion.

I look over to my friend and see all sorts of emotions on his face. The incident affects him too and badly. Gulping, I sit on the edge of the bed trying to think all this out. “Brian, who would want to hurt A.J.?” I whisper my thoughts blurring like the tears in my eyes.

Brian sighs and pulls me to the exit of the room, “Nick, we shouldn’t be in here, we’ll get in trouble.” I look around the suite and follow Brian out the door and out of the room. We leave the crime scene and I stare back to the room where only a few hours ago, my friend was almost murdered.

“Nick, why did you go in there?” Brian whispers, his azure eyes clouded in agony and fear.

I lick my lips and shake my head, “I just wanted to see if it really happened.” I close my eyes, knowing in a few I might cry.

Brian sighs and pulls on my arm, “You shouldn’t have been in there.” He didn’t know what else to say. How can you comfort your friend if your self needs the comfort? Brian gazes up at me, his eyes wide open. I hear him whisper the same thoughts that were rushing into my head, “I’m scared. I don’t know if someone is after us.”

I gulp and let the tears slid down quietly down my cheeks, “I feel the same way.”

Brian sighs and tugs on my arm, “Come on. Let’s go downstairs, the police will want to talk to us about what happened.”

“The hell with the police.” I shout angrily, yanking my arm away from Brian’s grip.

Brian closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, “Nick you don’t mean that.”

“Yes I do! How do you even know what I’m feeling?!” I shout, releasing my anger out on my only friend at the moment. I regret screaming at him a second later as the look on Brian’s face expressed shock and alarm.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. You’re right, I’m just upset with all that’s happening.” I whisper as Brian smiles. He hands me a handkerchief and we head towards the elevators that will take us down to the lobby.
~*~

Reaching the lobby, I see my other friends, Kevin and Howie talking quietly amist the crowd of policemen that had gathered.

Brian and I walk over to an empty plush sofa and sit down hoping to find results. My heart drummed and pounded, as chills race down my spine. I wanted to know if any answers were found, I needed to know if my friend was ok.

Kevin peers at me and smiles walking over to me along with Howie. His emerald eyes twinkle with tears as he pats my shoulder and hugs Brian. Howie gulps and nervously scans the lobby. He was scared that I knew and he didn’t know what to do. So I helped him, I stand up and pull Howie in a hug, cradling the smaller man. Suddenly I hear Howie sob as he throws his arms around my shoulders. I sigh and look around the room to see Brian and Kevin comforting each other, whispering that A.J. is strong, he’ll make it. I gulp and knowing I might like a child, I pull away from Howie and ask him a simple question.

“Why do bad things happen to good people?” I ask, batting my tears away as the cool tears trace and tickle my cheeks.

Howie takes a deep breath and shakes his head, “I don’t know Nick. I don’t know.” He wipes the tears off his tan face, his eyes red and swollen from crying and weeping for too long.

Kevin calls us to come join him and Brian on the sofa, we all need each other to get through this.

I can hear Brian murmur something about if they were only careful with who they had hired to protect and guard them.

I sigh and sit down on the plush sofa, closing my eyes, wishing it all away: all the pain that I feel, all that had happened with A.J. and the others.

We all sit in the lobby area of the hotel waiting to see if the police found anything new from the room. “Nothing yet, I guess we just gotta wait”, Kevin says. A few minutes pass and for me it seemed like eternity. The looks on everyone faces stuns me, they all look as if something was taken away from them. I believe I have that sad seldom expression crossing my face. My heart is racing and I feel my breathing quicken. I know something wrong is gonna happen with A.J. I hear Brian telling Kevin that A.J. is in critical condition and doubt he’ll make it through the night. I remember the incident clearly:

I was in my room listening to some of our new tracks for the upcoming album at about one in the morning. I remember hearing the screaming coming from A.J.’s room and my heart froze with fear. I stare around the dark hallway where the lights had just went out. Trembling, I run out of my room and see some figures standing in front the entrance of A.J.’s room. Through the yelling coming from inside, I hear Kevin voice’s as he tries banging at the door and attempted breaking it down. I hear the screaming stop suddenly in A.J.’s room. I try feeling for the walls in front of me with my hands. “You guys, you don’t think something wrong happened in there do ya?” I hear myself say.

“Nick, are you listening?” Kevin shouts breaking me from my disturbing memory.

“No, I’m sorry, I was just thinking about the incident” I say sadly. Sighing, Kevin kneels in front of me and pats my hand, “I said, I think we should all just try to get some sleep for now, nothing can be done at this point. Let’s get out of the hotel and we’ll all go another hotel to get some sleep.” I nod my head warily and grab my luggage to leave. We all leave the hotel and called a taxi to take us to the nearest hotel. We reached the other hotel across town in twenty minutes and Kevin quickly signs us up at the receptionist desk. We all walk slowly as if caught in slow motion towards the elevators. The conversation died about a half and hour ago. There was nothing else to really say, all we felt was the pain and the nervousness. The anxiety clings to each us desperately as we board the elevator. The quiet ping of the elevator disturbs our thoughts as it slides open its doors to us. We exit onto the twelve floor going into our individual room. I didn’t want to go sleep, I can’t anyway and I thought the others were thinking the same.

“Nick.” Brian whispers, his hotel suite next to mine, “Wanna hang out?”

I smile and nod as Howie and Kevin join us in Brian’s suite. The room looked like all the others we pretty much stayed in. Fancy, expensive, the glamour of the famous. It’s almost as if one can smell the money and profit the hotel makes with rooms like this.

I throw myself on one of Brian’s leather couches and close my eyes hoping for a small nap, for that was all I can take at the moment. The phone rings waking me up and I hear soft murmuring coming from the guys. “What is it? Who was on the phone?” I ask.

Howie nods and answers my question, “Nicky it was the police and they found new suspects to the crime. It seems we are one of the suspects for the crime.”

I must have that look on my face, judging by the way the others are staring at me. I jump up from the sofa suddenly rejuvenated I scream out, “What? You’re kidding me bro right?”

They all shake their heads, “Sorry Nick, but that’s what the cops said” Brian states.

Clasping my hands together and taking a deep breath, I say, “Can one of us really be that twisted and hurt another one of us? Why would the police think that we could be responsible for something like that?! This doesn’t make sense.” I say blowing out a puff of air. I look at the distraught look we have on our faces and just knew that none of us can ever hurt one another. We care about each other too much to do something this violent, even I never got that upset to want to see pain on one of my ‘brothers.’

Brian adds on, “Nothin’ makes sense now.” He whispers quickly, his face downcast.


**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**

Tell me what ya think , I’ll try to update soon!