- Text Size +
AJ nervously paced around the roof of the hotel before checking his watch again. He’d had everything set up for the last half hour and now he was trying to wait patiently to put his plan into action. It was ten minutes after seven and he had been expecting Bianca to be there before or right at seven. He figured that she would have called and let him know if she was going to be late and she didn’t have her cell phone on, so he couldn’t reach her. Looking down at his black suit, he nervously brushed away imaginary lint as he tried to swallow the lump that had formed in his throat.

Sitting down at the piano, he started picking out notes to a song he’d been working on since the night before. It wasn’t his best because he’d been in such a rush to get his feelings down on that paper, but it came straight from his heart. He knew that was all that mattered.

He turned quickly when the door opened a nervous smile playing on his lips. The smile faded when he saw that it was only Howie who was sticking his head out of the corridor, a curious expression on his face.

“Oh, hey D,” AJ couldn’t mask his disappointment.

“I was just coming to check on you,” Howie answered. Sensing AJ’s anxiousness he placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’s just stuck in traffic Jay.”

“I know. It’s too early to start worrying, but I just can’t help it.”

Howie nodded and stood there uncomfortably not knowing what to say. “Well, I’m probably gonna be meeting Mia soon so you’ll have to let me know how everything goes,” he finished with his famous wink. “See ya later.”

“Yeah, later, bro,” AJ forced a smile. “Have fun.”

After Howie was gone, AJ went back to picking out the notes on the ivory keys. He tried to shake the growing anxiety that had settled in the pit of his stomach, but there was no use. Until he heard something from Bianca, he was going to be worried.




“Hey this is Julie. I’m not home right now, but you know what to do…”

Brian listened to the sound of the tone for what seemed like the thousandth time that night, but once again, instead of saying anything he only hung up. Frustrated with himself, he scrubbed a hand over his face. He hadn’t shaved that morning and he was already beginning to notice the stubble on his chin. He made a mental note to not forget to shave when he got up in the morning.

Expelling a deep breath, he let his fingers remain on the receiver for another moment. He wanted so badly to call Julie and find out what was going on in her mind, but he just couldn’t bring himself to leave a message. Well, how is she going to know it’s you? He snorted aloud at the thought. Even if she didn’t have caller ID, it wouldn’t take a genius to know who had called and hung up that many times.

Standing up, he walked to the fridge and grabbed a can of soda and took a long sip before looking back at the phone. He knew he needed to at least leave a message to make sure she got home okay. Maybe she would call and let him know that much. Taking a deep breath, he picked up the phone with a trembling hand. Why am I so nervous?

After the standard three rings, he heard her voice once again… “Hey this is Julie. I’m not home right now, but you know what to do…”

“Uh… Hey Jules, it’s me… Duckie. I, um, I was just calling to, uh, make sure you got home okay. If you want, you can… you can give me a call later,” Brian took a breath and hesitated before finishing his though, “Love you Jules.”

***

Julie sat in the corner of her sofa with her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms wrapped tightly around her legs. She’d been there to hear every time her phone rang and knew that every time it was Brian. She didn’t need to check her caller ID to know. The way she left him in LA was wrong and she was sorry for hurting him that way, but she didn’t know what else to do. There had been so many emotions running through her mind that night it was completely overwhelming and the only thing she could think to do was run. Which was completely opposite of everything she had ever done in her life. She was not one to run away from anything… ever. But she did this time. Why?

“Because I’m scared of losing him again,” she answered the question aloud.

It hadn’t been easy watching him walk out of her life so many years before and now here he was again. And after what happened between them, watching him walk away again would be damn near impossible. Especially after she realized how she really felt about him. It was absolutely undeniable; she still loved him. A tear slipped down her cheek and she placed her forehead against her knees. She took a shaky breath and slowly let it out. What was she supposed to do now?




Kevin walked up to the door of the tiny restaurant feeling a little nervous. Tara Wellman, whoever she was, had certainly made him curious with her vague letter. He had to go and find out what this was all about. Standing in the doorway of the quiet eatery, Kevin glance around looking for someone he might even remotely recognize. Finally, he saw a tall redhead motion for him to join her in the corner. He hesitated for a moment and figured if she was the only one waiting for someone, she must be who he was here to see.

“Hi Kevin,” she offered a warm smile that he returned.

“Tara. How have you been?” he questioned politely hoping that she wouldn’t see right through him and realize that he had no idea who she was.

“I’ve been great, actually,” her smile was genuine and she wrapped her arm around a shy looking little boy sitting to her right. He couldn’t have been any older than two or three years old.

“Hey,” Kevin smiled at the little boy who seemed very bashful.

“You don’t remember me, do you, Kevin?” Tara asked with a small smile.

As soon as she asked that question, Kevin felt his face blaze with embarrassment. Clearing his throat, he shook his head. “No, I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay,” Tara said quietly as she looked down at the little boy and ruffled his hair. “We really didn’t have a chance to get to know one another and things kind of got started and ended on a bad note all in the same day.”

Confusion washed over Kevin. He had no idea what she was talking about because he was almost positive that they had never met before. He would remember her if they had. “I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to be rude, but how do we know one another?”

“I wouldn’t exactly say we know one another,” she kept her eyes down. “We only met once.” Kevin watched as she continued to run her fingers through the little boy’s hair refusing to meet his curious gaze.

“When?”

She looked up almost ashamed. “A few years ago.”

Kevin forced himself to try and remember. She was pretty and he was sure he would have remembered her. There was something familiar about her the more he gazed at her, but he really couldn’t put his finger on what it was. She was tall but not too slender; you could tell she’d had a child. Her skin was fair and her eyes were hazel. Not a supermodel, but she was someone who could turn heads walking down the street.

“It was a really bad time in my life and I’m guessing in your life, too,” she said quietly. “I’m not here to try and use you because I’ve moved on from what my life was back then, Kevin. And I knew you probably wouldn’t remember me, but I really needed to see you tonight.”

Kevin watched as a sad expression crossed her face. “Why would I think you were trying to use me?”

She looked down at her son and back up at Kevin, tears forming in her dark hazel eyes. “Kevin, I just wanted you to meet Christopher.”

Kevin, feeling a little nervous, looked at the little boy who was now peering from behind his mother’s arm. “It’s nice to meet you, little man.”

“Kevin, Christopher is your son.”




Bianca looked at Nick with tears in her eyes and a familiar ache in her heart. She didn’t know what to do or say now that the room was completely quiet. The only light came from the hallway and it seemed to cast an eerie glow on the two of them. Lowering her eyes to her hands, she became slightly uncomfortable.

“I didn’t expect you to come here,” Nick said quietly as he raked a hand through his already disheveled hair.

“I thought I was supposed to meet someone here,” she said absently.

“Your husband?” the words came out as if they had a bad taste.

Bianca squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed the lump in her throat. The anger in Nick’s voice hurt her and she hated it, but why? Why did it matter what he thought? Because you weren’t entirely over Nick… Holly’s words came back to her suddenly. She shook the thought away and let her eyes drift over to Nick. He looked horrible. She bit her bottom lip and then quietly stood up. She didn’t know if there was anything she could do to help him because it was her fault he felt like this in the first place.

“I’m sorry, Nick,” her voice trembled ever so slightly and she prayed to God he didn’t notice it. Just as she was turning to leave, she felt his hand close around her wrist. Surprised by this sudden action, she turned and saw that Nick was now standing over her, his brilliant blue eyes still filled with pain. “I should really get going.”

Nick shook his head. “No…”

“I… I really do have to go, Nick,” she whispered wishing she could break free of his grasp.

Then the unthinkable happened.

Before she even had time to react, Nick had fallen to his knees, slid his arms around her waist and pressed his head to her stomach. Her only reaction was to place her hands in his hair. She gently brushed some stray hairs away from his forehead and shut her eyes, willing the tears to go away.

Finally, Nick spoke. “Tell me one thing that would make you stay. I’ll do anything to keep you here.”

When you love someone - you'll feel it deep inside
And nothin else can ever change your mind
When you want someone - when you need someone
When you love someone...

When you love someone - you'll sacrifice
You'd give it everything you got and you won't think twice
You'd risk it all - no matter what may come
When you love someone
You'll shoot the moon - put out the sun
When you love someone*




* “When You Love Someone” by Bryan Adams