- Text Size +
Bianca felt hot tears gliding down her flushed cheeks. Had she heard him right? Was he actually on his knees, his face nuzzling her stomach? Begging her to stay with him? She could feel the hair on his chin scratching against her skin as he let his lips glide over her navel. She tried to keep her composure as a tingle ran down her spine.

“Nick…” his name came out barely above a whisper. She tried clearing her throat, “Nick? Please… don’t do this.” She looked down into his eyes and saw that they held the same agony. “This is wrong, Nick.”

He pressed his face into her warm skin and tried not to lose control of his emotions. Taking in a soothing breath, he looked back up to see her eyes were still focused on him. “Bianca, I—”

“No,” she said firmly as she began to tug at his large frame wishing he would cooperate and stand up on his own. He did finally stand up, but he didn’t relinquish his grasp on her. She sighed, “Nick, we’ve been over this a hundred and one times. We can’t keep coming back to the same spot every time.”

“Why? Maybe someone’s trying to tell us something by bringing us back here! Look, Bean, I know I fucked up, okay? And I’ve been kicking myself ever since, so you don’t need to jump on that bandwagon. I just… I don’t understand…”

“What don’t you understand, Nick? AJ and I are married now. Things aren’t as simple as they used to be.”

The hurt flickered in his blue eyes, but he wasn’t willing to give up that easily. “You love me, Bianca! I can read it on your face. So please, stop lying to me!”

“I never said I didn’t love you!” she yelled and pounded her fists into his chest before falling against him in humiliation. “Is that what you wanted to hear? That I caused my first love to walk out of my life and never got over it? Well, there, now you know. But that doesn’t change the fact that there is also someone else with his heart on the line. This isn’t something any of us have any right to be selfish about because our hearts aren’t the only things at stake anymore.”

“You think I don’t realize that? I know what’s at stake, Bean, I really do, but don’t you see that I don’t care? I gave you my heart a long time ago with every intention of it belonging to you forever. That’s not a promise many people are willing to make anymore, but I did. And Bianca, I don’t back out on a promise like that.”




“I’m sorry?” Kevin asked with wide eyes. He laughed lightly and looked at Tara as though she’d grown a second head. “I think you might have me mixed up with someone else.”

“No, Kevin. I know this might look bad, but I wouldn’t have contacted you unless I needed to. I don’t need money or sympathy, and I sure as hell don’t want any fame. I just wanted my son to meet his father. Is that too much to ask?”

Kevin stared at her in shock. How was someone supposed to react to a situation like this? He couldn’t blow up and completely humiliate Tara because she had done nothing to deserve being treated that way. But he also didn’t know if he believed her story or not. He couldn’t even remember ever sleeping with her for heaven’s sake! Yet, here she was sitting in front of him and introducing him to Christopher, the bashful little boy that was supposedly his son. My son? He thought for a moment. My son, he thought again liking the way it sounded. He’d always wanted a son and now he was faced with that very possibility. But was it true?

“I don’t mean to offend you, Tara, but we’ll need to have a paternity test done just to make sure,” he said in a voice that was much calmer than he’d anticipated.

She finally smiled again and hugged Christopher close to her. “I understand, Kevin. And thank you. So much.”

Kevin offered a smile and nodded. He didn’t really know what to say and he didn’t know how he should be feeling. What if he really is my son? he asked himself as he started at the little boy a small smile still tugging at the corners of his mouth.




AJ sighed and looked out over the city. He had candles surrounding the setting he’d prepared for his romantic night with his wife though he had yet to actually light them. Their dinner was probably lukewarm and maybe even bordering on cold by now. All of the flowers he’s placed around the rooftop didn’t seem quite as spectacular anymore, and he himself was feeling pretty down. He closed the notebook with his songs in it and began to slowly play the melody of the song he’d prepared. He was so sure that the night would be perfect, and yet somehow he’d been wrong. He stopped only once to light a single candle atop the piano and then he softly began to sing:

The soft scent of your skin
And the gentle touch of your hand
Even when I’m far away
Thoughts of you draw me in

When things go wrong
And I fall down
When I’m trapped and can’t break free
You are the one
You make me the man I want to be


Hanging his head, he let the silence consume him.

“That was beautiful,” Bianca’s soft voice startled him. He turned to see her leaning against the frame of the door in the stairwell. She bit her lip and slowly made her way over to him and gently took a seat beside him. Reaching up, she tenderly caressed his cheek. “Sorry, I’m late… When I got your message to meet you at the studio I failed to listen to my other messages,” she explained with a sheepish smile. “Forgive me?”

“I wasn’t mad,” his handsome face broke into a smile and he brushed her hair away from her face and winked. “I just thought I’d been stood up for someone more handsome.”

“Aww, baby, you know there isn’t anybody more handsome than you,” she said quietly and placed a loving kiss on his lips.

“I love you,” his voice was filled with emotion and he wrapped his arms around her. “Do you know that?”

“Of course, but I never get tired of hearing it,” she said with a sly smile. She turned serious, “I love you, too, Aje.” She let him bring her closer and she snuggled comfortably against his body. They sat in silence for a moment before Bianca finally spoke again, “So can I hear the rest of that beautiful song?”




Brian was lying on his bed channel surfing without really paying attention when he heard a light knock on his door. He rolled his eyes wondering who was there to bug him. He wasn’t really in the mood for visitors. The person knocked again and Brian reluctantly stood up and slowly made his way to the door.

”Hey man, what’s up?” Kevin smiled and stepped inside the hotel room without waiting to be invited.

“Not a lot,” Brian shrugged. “Just bored.”

Kevin nodded and looked around. “You wanna hang out for a while? Go grab a bite to eat or something?”

Brian looked at his older cousin with his eyebrows raised. He hadn’t really been in the “hanging out” mood in the last few months and this was a surprise to him. “Yeah, sure. That sounds cool,” he smiled, “let me just grab my shoes.”

“Okay,” Kevin nodded and took a seat in the chair.

“All right, I’m ready,” Brian came out of his bedroom and grabbed his room key. “Where do you wanna go?”

Kevin shrugged, “Doesn’t matter to me. We can just ride around till we see somewhere that looks good.”

“Cool,” Brian nodded and checked his watch. 8:46. He started to grab his cell phone but hesitated. Nah… she won’t call. “Well, then, let’s get going.”

***

Julie sighed and pressed the “end” button on her cordless phone. It was almost midnight and Brian hadn’t answered the phone in his hotel room or his cell phone. “I guess I’ll just try back later. Way later,” she said miserably to herself as her cat jumped up her lap and got comfortable. “Looks like I really messed up this time, Mocha.”

She sat there for a few minutes rubbing Mocha behind the ears and staring out her apartment window. It looked like Brian was ignoring her now. “Okay, time for bed, Mocha.”

***

“I’ll just have a cheeseburger with fries and a Pepsi please,” Brian said to the waitress.

“I’ll have the same, please,” Kevin said. “Thanks.”

“So, what’s with the whole “I wanna be social now” thing?” Brian grinned and leaned back in the ragged booth. “Oh, nice place by the way.”

Kevin only laughed at his cousin and shrugged. “Hey, just cause it isn’t as fancy as what you’re used to doesn’t mean the food’s not good. And what do you mean the “I wanna be social now” thing?”

“Oh, come on Kevin,” Brian scoffed, “you know you haven’t exactly been overly friendly to anyone in a while. I’m just wondering what changed?”

“Let’s just say I had an eye opening experience,” Kevin answered vaguely before changing the subject. “What’s with the peach fuzz?”

“Peach fuzz? Hey, just cause I don’t have as much,” he paused to clear his throat, “facial hair as my cousin doesn’t mean anything. Nick’s the one with the fuzz.” They both laughed at the expense of their young friend and were pleased to see the waitress coming their way with their orders.

“Here you go fellas,” the older lady smiled and placed their food in front of them. “Enjoy.”

“Well, whatever happened, I’m glad you finally decided to get your ass back in shape,” Brian laughed and bit into his cheeseburger.

Kevin watched as his younger cousin took a sip of his soda. “I got to meet someone tonight.”

“Oh really? Who?” Brian asked with his mouth full. He stopped to take another sip of soda.

“Actually, that’s why my attitude has changed.”

Brian continued to drink his soda while looking at Kevin expectantly. At that moment, he reminded him of the little boy he used to be.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure yet, but he may be my son,” he answered with a smile. Before he knew it, the Pepsi that had been in Brian’s mouth came flying out and was all over Kevin and the table between them. “Damn it Brian! You do realize that’s the second time you’ve spit all over me today, don’t you??”

Brian didn’t know whether to laugh or just gawk at Kevin. He chose to ignore the irritated expression on his face and instead press for more information, “Did I just hear you right? Your son? Can you elaborate a little?”

“Well, see, that’s the thing. I can’t elaborate because I’m not even sure if it’s true yet or not. I don’t remember the woman, and the little boy is only about two or three…”

“But you would have been with Brianna…”

“That’s the other thing,” Kevin looked down at the table and then back at his cousin. “I’ll admit, there was a time that I wasn’t exactly faithful to her. It was when she left. I wasn’t really at a high point in my life and I wasn’t really doing things that I should be doing, so there is a possibility.”

Brian just sat in silence letting the news sink in. “Wow,” was the only word he could think to say.

“I know this doesn’t exactly make me look good,” Kevin said with an embarrassed chuckle, “but we all make mistakes, right? I just wanted to tell someone and I knew that person was you. I mean, I knew that you’d understand and at least be able to reassure me.”

Finally, Brian was coming out of his shocked state and he nodded. “Well, you know I support you no matter what happens, Kev. And you obviously seem kinda happy about the news, so if you’re happy, I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks,” Kevin smiled and stared down at his Pepsi-coated food.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about the explosion,” Brian laughed. “How about we get something to go?”

Kevin laughed out loud and nodded. “As long as you’re paying and you don’t spit on me anymore.”

“Deal.”




Howie smiled at his girlfriend Mia across the table as they sat in one of the finest Los Angeles restaurants. “I’ve had a really good time tonight,” he smiled and lifted her hand to his lips.

“Me too,” she said quietly and giggled as he continued to place feather light kisses on her hand. “You really are too sweet.”

“Well, you know, I try,” he grinned. “Would you like to dance?”

Mia smiled. “I would love to, but I need to go powder my nose first,” she leaned over and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “I’ll be right back.”

Howie smiled to himself as he watched her saunter off in the direction of the restrooms. He was finally beginning to feel normal again and he really enjoyed the time he got to spend with Mia. Of course, he still missed Ivy more than anyone knew, but he knew that she would have wanted him to be happy. Looking around the posh restaurant he smiled to himself again. Things were finally starting to look up.

***

Mia admired her reflection in the mirror of the women’s bathroom for a moment before turning around and leaning against the large marble counter. “Look, I know that you’re getting a kick out of this, but it’s not you that has to keep this act up all the time.”

“Just be patient, Mia. Remember… this was your idea in the first place.”

“I know, I know. It’s just I’m having a really hard time being patient with this. I’m ready to just be done with it so I can come home to you.”

“All in good time, Love. All in good time. Now go back out there and dance your sexy ass right into his bed… and his heart. Cause you know that’s what will get you his wallet.”

Mia giggled. “Consider it done. On both levels. Later, baby. Love you.”

“You too, babe.”

Flipping her tiny silver cell phone shut, she took one last glance in the mirror and adjusted her dress. “Okay, let’s do this,” she said quietly to herself and headed back to Howie. When she saw him, she smiled sexily and leaned down and let her lips linger over his ear. “Time for that dance now, Mr. Dorough.”