- Text Size +
Kevin, Howie, Brian, AJ and Nick all sat around the large cherry table in the conference room. They were currently having a meeting with their managers and record label to discuss what direction the group would be heading in from here. At the moment, conversation had come to a very tense halt.

“Now, let’s not just make a decision that anyone will regret,” one of the suits said in a stuffy voice.

“We’ve all discussed this over and over,” Kevin spoke and his four band mates nodded gravely.

“Look, fellas, I think the five of you just need some more time to think about the decision you’re making. This is a big thing and you need to be 100% positive that this is what you want to do. Besides, don’t you think you should at least do one more album together for old time sake?”

“No, you look, we have already talked all of this over and we’ve come to the conclusion—as a group—that it’s time we took a break. We’re not saying that we’re breaking up, but we’re also not saying that we’ll ever record another album together. This is something we all need to do right now. So, whether you accept it or not, that is how it’s going to work,” Kevin said in a dangerously calm voice. “We all have things going on in our lives that need to take priority over our careers, and if you don’t understand that, too damn bad.”

The other four watched in stunned silence as Kevin stood up and stormed out of the room, leaving everyone speechless.

Finally, Brian cleared his throat and stood as well. “Uh, I think it’s safe to say that the meeting is over.” The other three nodded and slowly filed out of the conference room.

The record executives just sat in silence looking around the room. “Okay, so how are we gonna handle this?”




*Two Months Later*

“Are you sure that’s a good idea Howie?” AJ asked as he drove down the street toward his home. “I mean, all of us together in the same room… four of us will get along great, but I can think of one person that would object to the idea.”

“C’mon Jay, you and Nick really need to put this all behind you.”

“Well, tell that to Nick because I’m not the one holding a grudge,” AJ stated simply. “Anyway, just give me the time. You know Bean and I will be there.”

“Great. You guys be here at around 7 on Friday.”

“Sounds good, D. I’ll see ya later,” he said and ended the call. Perfect timing, he thought with a smile as he pulled his Mercedes into the gated driveway. Entering the large house he referred to as “his kingdom”, AJ made a run through the kitchen to grab a snack before heading into the basement studio where he knew he would find his wife.

“Hey AJ,” Matthew Davis, Bianca’s new manager, greeted.

“What’s up, Matt?” he asked as he took a seat to watch Bianca through the glass.

“She’s recording a hit, that’s what,” Matt grinned.

AJ just smiled at Bianca and felt his heart warm when she smiled back as she sang the lyrics she’d written.

Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I’d just stare out my window
Dreaming of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But when I'd try to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I pray
I could breakaway*


After she finished singing, she took a long sip from her water bottle and grinned. “Okay, Matt, I think I’ve earned a break.”

“Well, I guess. Just don’t get too used to this kind of treatment since your husband is here,” he said with a wink. “I’ve got a few calls to make, so I’ll just let you two have some privacy.”

Bianca came out of the recording booth and slid her arms around AJ’s neck. Placing a tender kiss on his awaiting lips, she smiled. “So, how is your day going?”

“It just got better actually,” he grinned and pulled her in for another kiss. “Sounds like yours is going great, too.”

She looked down and smiled. “Well, I don’t want to brag, but I think this could be a really big song for me. I’m really excited about it.”

AJ smiled and watched as she beamed. He sighed contentedly, and sat down in a chair, pulling Bianca onto his lap. “I’m really excited for you, Bean.” After a few minutes of comfortable silence, he nuzzled her neck. “Howie invited us to his place for a small get together on Friday night since everybody is going to be in town.”

“That’s great, I know you really miss seeing the other guys,” she smiled and lovingly brushed her thumb over his cheek.

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing them. It’s already been two months.”

“Amazing how time flies when you’re having fun, huh?” she smiled devilishly.




Kevin sat in silence staring down at the unopened envelope on his desk in front of him. He was afraid to open it, not because of what it might say, but because what it might not say. In the past two months, he had become very used to the idea of having a son and now he was scared that the possibility would be snatched away. He took a deep breath and lifted the seemingly innocent envelope from the desk and ripped the end open then carefully slid the folded letter out. This was it. In a matter of seconds he would know whether or not Tara Wellman was telling the truth. He tried to swallow the lump of emotion that had risen in his throat. He had waited two months for this moment and now he couldn’t seem to have the courage to go any further.

After he met with Tara back in Los Angeles, Kevin tried to get used to the idea of having another child. He had always wanted a son; he wanted the type of cherished relationship with a son that he’d once shared with his own father. After insisting that there be a paternity test to be sure, Tara informed him that she also wanted the test but she first had some personal business to take care of back home in Alabama and she would be gone for at least a month maybe a little longer. After six and a half weeks, she contacted Kevin to let him know she would be coming to Florida if that was okay with him.

Now, almost a week later, Kevin finally had the results to the question that had been in the back of his mind for almost two months was about to be answered. If only he could unfold the paper and see for himself whether or not what he’d been telling himself was true. Come on Kevin, you have to do this now, he kept saying to himself. The telephone next to him began to ring, jarring him from his thoughts. Without a second thought, he reached over and lifted the receiver only to drop it right back into place. I have to do this. He looked at the picture on his desk; would he be able to get Kyra back into his life, too? If God did bless him with a son, would he let him have his daughter back? Just as he was about to open the letter, his cell phone began to chime. Like he’d done only moments earlier, he silenced the shrill ringing without answering the call. Another deep breath and he finally felt ready.

As he was unfolding the paper, he noticed for the first time that his hands were trembling. Scanning down the page he blinked once. Twice. Dropping the paper back onto his cluttered desk, he let his head fall into his hands as tears sprang to his eyes. He finally had his answer.




“So, are you coming to Howie’s on Friday?” Brian questioned as he finished topping off his sandwich with pickles. “I mean, it would be a shame if you didn’t show up…”

Nick switched his cell phone to his other ear and tried not to scowl. Was he going to Howie’s? That was a good question. He honestly didn’t know yet. “Not sure.”

Brian made a face but didn’t comment right away. “You know, it really wouldn’t hurt to come and try and have fun, Nick. It’s been two months since any of us have done anything together. Besides, it’s not going to kill you and it might actually do you some good. Who knows? You might even enjoy yourself!”

Biting back a comment that wasn’t very nice, Nick just expelled a breath and propped his feet up on the table in front of him. Leave it to Brian to make him feel like he had to go. He rolled his eyes. “I guess I’ll go if nothing else comes up.”

Brian snorted. “And what would that be? A movie at home in your pink footed jammies with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s? Come on, Nick, you know you don’t have anything to do so stop trying to make sorry excuses.

This time Nick did scowl. How the hell did Brian know if he had other plans or not? Sure, he didn’t, but that wasn’t the point. Brian didn’t know. “Like I said if nothing else comes up.”

This is fun, Brian thought with a smirk as he took a large bite of his sandwich. Not bothering to swallow he continued on with his next idea, “You know, Howie would probably be offended if you didn’t come for at least a little while.”

“Jesus, Brian, didn’t you mother ever teach you not to talk with that much food in your mouth? You sound disgusting.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Brian said in a bored tone, “So, are you coming or not?”

“Do I really even have a choice?”

“Nope.”

“Then I guess you already know that answer, don’t you?”

“Guess so,” he made sure Nick could hear his cheeky grin through the phone, “Just make sure you change out of your pink jammies before you leave the house, okay?”

“Brian?”

“Yeeeesss?”

“Eat shit.”

“Naaah, I think I’ll stick to my sandwich since it tastes better,” he said before he heard the click as Nick ended the call. Grinning to himself he shook his head. Sometimes annoying Nick was just so much fun.



* “Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson