- Text Size +
Jenn could feel the sun pouring into the room before she even opened her eyes. The warmth that seeped through the window soaked her skin in a feeling of loveliness, so new to her. Kevin’s love, once again, had wrapped its arms around her heart. She found herself to be as vulnerable as ever, scared to ever be let go again.

He would never do that though, she told herself, using her arm to shield her eyes from the now invasive sun. Last night had meant so much to both of them…

Rolling over to find that Kevin had already gone downstairs, Jenn stood pulling on an old shirt and pajama pants of his.

"Hey you…" She whispered, finding him sitting on the couch, hunched over the coffee table, reading the newspaper and sipping coffee.

"Mornin’." He replied, looking up for a moment and then back down, rubbing his scruffy chin absentmindedly.

In the moment that he had glanced at her though, Jenn could see that things weren’t quite right. She could feel it. When the baby began to stir, the mother-to-be decided to question the feeling later and head for the kitchen.

In this room, her senses were overwhelmed with the smell of fresh blueberry muffins and she quickly found them setting on the oven top. Her appetite quickly disappeared, however, upon seeing the paper that laid beside the muffin. There, in black and white for the whole world to see, was a picture of her and Nick on the night that she had told him of her pregnancy. Directly below that was a picture of she and Kevin in front of the doctor’s office the previous day. These pictures, though, had been exploited to paint a totally different story.

Who is the Backstreet Daddy? Not even the mommy knows! The headline read. Tears of fury stung Jenn’s blue eyes as a wave of nausea hit her. Pulling out a chair from the table, she shakily sat down. Almost immediately, she was aware of another presence in the room.

Kevin stood in the doorway, tears of confusion threatening to fall. "What…what happened?"

"What do you mean what happened, Kevin?!" Jenn sniffed, her voice coming out in a harsh tone. "They…they’ve misconstrued everything…"

"How can they have…"

"C’mon Kevin! You know the media can take pictures and make up a story…" She tried to argue, not believing that he was actually saying such things.

"They quoted a waitress that was…"

"You don’t believe me?!" She yelled in disbelief before he could even finish.

The kitchen fell in an awkward silence, the tension growing thicker as Kevin offered to answer.

"Oh my God…" Jenn swallowed and sat down in a chair, the table becoming the center of her attention. "How can you…"

Kevin shook his head slowly, looking down at the floor. "It’s so hard to trust anything, Jenn. I never thought I’d be one to see a picture and believe the story but…you and Nick have always been so close."

"But why would I TELL you this baby is yours, Kevin?!" She cried, looking up at him for the first time.

"I don’t know." He paused. "Maybe you don’t know."

The comment angered Jenn more than she could ever imagine. Not just because he doubted her, but because she loved him. She trusted him. They had made love the night before and now…now… She stood up, hurling everything in her line of vision towards the older man. "I HATE YOU!" She screamed.

Hate. Kevin swallowed. It was always the word that he feared. It was the word that had made him fall into the hands of the devil, thinking the boys hated him. His heart began to sting with pangs of guilt as tears prickled the corners of his eyes. "I…I…"

"Don’t even try to fix it now." She stopped at the bottom of the stairs. "You…you’ve already broken me."

"Jenn, I’m sorry. It’s just so hard…to…" He struggled, knowing that what she had said was true, but he couldn’t stop himself.

"No." She sighed and sniffed, trying to compose herself. "I’m the one who’s sorry."

With that, Jenn gripped onto the stair rail and climbed the stairs quickly, afraid to break down in front of him.

Kevin watched her disappear. There was nothing he could do now. Now right at this moment anyway. Grabbing the newspaper, he opened the backdoor and stepped outside onto the deck. He looked down at the picture in his trembling hands and couldn’t believed that he had just accused her of the things he did. The woman he loved. The mother of his baby. She would never do this to him…

Everything around him became blurred as hot tears spilled out of his eyes and down his paling cheeks. "I’m so sorry…" He called out to the air.

But no one was listening and his apologies, once again, made no difference.

~*~*~

So bright. Yet dull. The sun was setting over a patch of grass. He could hear children in the distance. Questioningly, his emerald eyes searched for a familiar face.

Then there it was. That sound. That sound that ripped through his heart. Jenn was crying.

"Sweetie, I’m sorry… but Sara and I have our own family." It was Nick’s voice that could be faintly heard as Kevin moved towards a couple sitting underneath a tree.

"But Nick, what do I do? Kevin has nothing to do with us. He thinks she’s…"

"One look at that kid, Jenn, and you KNOW she’s not mine…or anyone BUT Kevin’s."

The older man averted his attention to a small girl who tottered towards a butterfly. Her tiny hands were outstretched as a laugh escaped her pink lips. Dark brown curls fell in front of her piercing green eyes. How could he ever think she was anyone but his own?

His heart suddenly tingled with a paternal instinct as he found himself almost floating towards the little girl. The laughter stopped suddenly, as the girl saw Kevin. For a minute or two, they stared at each other…

…Then she began to scream, running away into the arms of her mother. Jenn then looked up, her face tear streaked. Blame written all over it.

~*~*~*~*~

Kevin woke up with a light sheet of cold sweat coating his body. How could he doubt the mother of his child? HIS child. It didn’t matter biologically. This baby was his…

His eyes glanced at the land lying in front of him. It wasn’t much, a pool, a deck, trees around the deck. When he closed his eyes, though, he could hear the laughter of that little child again. He could feel the child jumping into his lap to tell him all about her day. It warmed his heart. That was the moment that Kevin realized what a jerk he was being. How could he not have believed Jenn? How could he have made love to her last night and then, not four hours later, hurt her so badly? The sky began to rumble and cloud over, ironically matching the mood of the morning.

Kevin swallowed the guilt in his throat and sprung from his chair. He had to fix things…before it was too late.

Climbing the stairs, tears began to reach the ends of his eyelashes, feeling worse and worse for the way he had been acting. Now, all he wanted to do for the rest of the day was make it up to Jenn, make her believe somehow, that he was there for her. Forever, now.

"Jenn?" He knocked lightly on the door, clearing his throat. The silence left his heart feeling smaller than it already did. "Baby, please…I am so sorry…we need to talk."

When there was no sign of a response this time, Kevin began to worry. What if she had hurt herself or got sick or…

The man slowly pushed open the door, scared of what was lying behind it.

Empty.

The room was empty. Kevin stood in shock. His emerald eyes frantically searched the room, his hands beginning to shake. There was no sign of any life.

"Oh god.." He sighed, sitting on the end of the bed, finding her closet half empty. "Come back…" His head was spinning with wild thoughts of where she could be.

The rain poured outside now. Wherever she was, it was all his fault. Crawling up to her pillows, where he had awaken her every morning, he took one tightly in his arms and let his tears melt against it. "I need you." He whispered, inhaling the scent as the rhythmic tapping on the roof made him even more anxious. "It’s my fault…"



Can we get back to love again
Seems like I'm losing my best friend
Can you rescue me from the rain
And be my sunshine again
Can I make it up to you
I promise that I'll do anything for us
Cause baby I love you
I mean it, I need you
Let's get back to love again
I don't wanna go on without you, baby
Don't wanna hurt anymore
Ain't nothing right and my world is going crazy
Ain't nothing left to live for



It was probably the last place she should’ve been, considering the circumstances. She couldn’t stand driving in the rain though and it seemed like the safest place to go. Now, standing on the front porch, drenched in the rain, she hesitated pushing the doorbell. Finally though, Jenn decided it was selfish to stand out in the rain, making herself sick when it might hurt their baby. Her baby…

"Jenn?" Nick’s hair stood atop his head, every which way, his eyes still swollen with sleep. "What the hell…"

The rain couldn’t hide her tears. Not from Nick. Without asking any questions, he hugged her tight against his chest and brought her inside.

And for a moment, she wished the newspaper had been true…


A/N: Chapter 8 is already half way done...keep up the reviews...Sara really loves them....