- Text Size +
10
They were all staring at me, making me more than just a little uncomfortable. None of them would answer my question. I really needed them to.

"Guys, what do we do now?"

"Shut the hell up dumbass! We wouldn't even be in here if it weren't for you"

"AJ, stop it's not his fault" Brian said giving him a stern look.

"Well, if he had left when Kevin asked him to go..."

"He might have been shot" Kevin said walking over to the door once again trying to push against it with all of his weight.

"Well, that's a chance I was willing to take" I knew he didn't mean it, but it hurt all the same.

I did feel guilty. This was all my fault. Especially since I knew what was happening the entire time. I thought about telling them all. Coming clean but they all seemed already so pissed, I decided not to.

"What the hell do we do now?" AJ said slumping onto one of the cots.

"I guess we wait" Howie answered, oddly calm.

"We need to get out of here" I said, voice raising to near panic level.

"Oh sure, now you panic, if you would have just gone for help when.."

"Enough J! That isn't doing any of us any good so stop" Brian yelled, then he came over and gave me a much needed pat on the shoulder. I knew I liked Brian best.

"It's not your fault Nick..Okay?" I nodded, but inside I wanted to cry.

Kevin had another idea, he went over to one of the two windows in the entire cabin and tried to pry it open.

"Shit!"

"What?" Howie said now walking closer to our eldest member.

"He fucking boarded it up from the outside. Dammit!" He walked over to the cabinets and started throwing things from the shelves.

"Kevin what the heck are you doing?" AJ asked, arms crossed and still huffy. I had to stop looking at him because every time I did he would glare back at me.

Kevin went through the mess he had made on the floor, searching frantically for something, "Come here and help me look for something that could maybe pry the boards off the windows"

At the suggestion we all ran over to help. There were boxes of cereal, cans of beef stew and soup and some small pans to cook the canned foods in. But nothing that came even remotely close for us to use as a tool to help us get out.

"We are trapped" AJ said grabbing a box of Twinkies and tearing it open.

"At least he left us junk food" Brian said to no one in particular.

"Yeah, he is probably going to fatten us up and eat us" I said. They laughed, "Thanks Nicky, I think we needed that" Howie said giving me a wink before replacing the look of doom on his face.

They thought I was kidding but I was serious. To me, Jim was a monster. I sat against the wall across from Kevin as he used a ladle to try to pry apart the wood with. Biting my bottom lip I wondered how long we would be stuck here.

I'm not sure how long we all sat and watched Kevin trying to get us out of the cabin but by the time he stopped I was starving. I looked at Howie's watch as he sat next to me, asleep in a sitting position. It was noon already.

"I'm hungry" I said sounding a little whiny.

"SO eat something then" AJ said from his place on the cot.

"I'm kind of hungry too" Brian said grabbing the box of Twinkies from AJ and tearing open a pair. He tossed the box over to me but I missed them completely. Howie picked up the box and put it on the opposite side of where I was sitting. Guess he was awake afterall.

"Why don't we make a can of stew or something?" He said picking himself up off the floor and going to the stove with a pot and a can of Dinty Moore in his hands.

"This is bizarre. Hey guys we are kidnapped in the woods, let's cook some food"

"I'm telling you right now McLean, you are already getting the hell on my nerves. We are ALL in this situation together. Not just you! So kill the attitude!" Kevin barked from the window. Then moving next to Howie, he carefully surveyed the food.

"I guess we should make two cans?" He said more of a question then a statement. It's funny that we all thought that Kevin should know exactly what to do. He was as clueless as the rest of us. That didn't make me feel any better though.

Nevertheless, for the brief period of time that Kevin and Howie were cooking, I was able to pretend that we were just on a little camping trip. Maybe that would help. We sat at the long table and ate our stew, no one said a word.

"My Mom's tastes so much better than this stuff" I said as I globbed another spoonful into my mouth.

"I should hope so kid" AJ said grimacing at the aftertaste.

"Guys, what if he forgets about us?"

"He won't Nick. He needs us supposedly" Brian ruffled my hair as if to say, so everything will be just fine. Wait and see.

All I thought about was how easy it would be for Jim to set the cabin on fire. We would be trapped inside with no way out. I didn't dare say it though, but that was the thought that ran through my mind as the day turned to night...