- Text Size +
11
You know, it's funny because in horror movies one of the biggest cliches, besides the half naked woman in the hot tub, was the ever present sound of an owl in the background. I remember watching those stupid slasher flicks with my friends back home, well actually my one friend back home, and laughing about how stupid that was. Ooooh there's an owl, that means something dastardly is about to happen.

But as it got darker in the cabin, and as the others began frantically searching for candles or a light source of any kind, an owl hooting in the distance set my heart into over drive.

There was no fireplace in this cabin, and we hadn't thought about looking for a light switch because it had been so sunny out. It wasn't until it had already begun to get dark that Kevin in a panic began tearing things apart in the cabin once again. Looking for anything we could light up.

"Anyone find anything?" Kevin screamed as if the cabin were miles long.

"No" He heard almost in unison.

I didn't help, I was too busy being scared to death. I just sat there still against the wall now wrapped in a blanket and holding a pillow in my arms like it was a prized teddy bear or something.

"I have a pack of matches"

"Lot's of good that will do us AJ"

"Jesus, chill Kevin I was only trying to help"

"I know, look I'm sorry man. It's just that.."

"I know Kevin, it's okay. We'll survive a night without any light. Heck maybe that will even help us get to sleep early. Right guys?" Howie asked trying to shade the tinge of fear in his voice with a tone of optimism. It wasn't working though.

Someone came over and took a seat next to me. I didn't look up, the shadows were playing with my mind. "You gonna be okay?" Brian asked me once again eating something. I could tell eating was something he did when he was stressed out.

"I'm cold"

"Me too buddy" He said and then took the blanket I had wrapped around me and got under with me.

"What are you eating?" I asked him when I heard him continue to chew.

"My nails"

"Ew gross" He laughed.

The cabin grew pitch black within the hour. We didn't even have the luxury of moonlight because of the boarded up windows. It was like being trapped in a coffin. A huge coffin. And it was freezing in there too. There had to be a heater somewhere but we hadn't bothered to look so now, we all found ourselves huddled together under piles of blankets.

The quiet sound of snoring was heard within about ten minutes of our huddle. I was happy for the sound, it drowned out the obnoxious owl.

"How can Howie sleep through this?" I heard AJ ask.

"What else is there to do?" Kevin answered.

I would find something because there was no way I was going to sleep in there. No way. Not gonna happen. I heard something move and let out a little screech.

"Jesus Christ what the hell is wrong?"

Kevin was standing now, I could only tell it was him by the voice and his tall outline. He looked menacing and evil. Everything looked evil in the dark.

"Sorry, I just heard you move and I thought.."

"Nick go to sleep" He said as he felt his way over to one of the cots and laid down. Pulling one of the many blankets we had around us away as he did it. Howie in his half sleep did the same thing.

Suddenly my security blanket was diminishing rapidly and I didn't like it. I found myself gripping onto Brian's shoulder. He tried pulling away but I wouldn't let him. I needed them to stay here on the ground.

"I'm going for that other cot" Brian said as he finally broke free from my grasp and headed into the dark night. Vanishing like a ghost out of my line of sight.

"Hey, why the hell do you get the other cot?"

"Seniority J, sorry"

"This sucks" He said pulling the second to last blanket off of me and moving away, leaving me laying all alone in the middle of the floor.

I tried to convince myself not to panic, that everything would be okay. But how could you do that knowing you were kidnapped and boarded up in a cabin with no light? I began to panic, barely able to breath. Tears started to flow freely down my face as I just sat there quietly crying as one by one, my band mates all managed to fall asleep.

Leaving me all alone.

I couldn't close my eyes, because I was afraid to open them to the sight of something terrifying. The outside noises were now deafening to me. Owls hooting, things scratching at the walls just trying to gnaw their way in. Eerie growling sounds coming from everywhere. Including inside the cabin. Sometimes sounding like it was right next to me.

Occasionally I would wince as something would scurry across my hand. Each time I would hear a sound I would find myself loosing it a little more. My entire body was shaking. My knees were actually knocking together since I was huddled almost in a ball. I was crying almost near hysterics. To the point of hyperventilating.

I was thirteen, I shouldn't have been that scared, but I was. I always was. Even at home, on nights that there were fierce thunderstorms, I would still find my way into my sister's room, using the excuse that I was going in there to protect them but secretly not wanting to be alone.

I wanted my family so bad. They would've made everything better. They usually did. I choked back another sob, really trying hard to be quiet. Guess it didn't work though,

"Nick" I wanted to answer but since I was hyperventilating I just sat there. The black figure made it's way over to me and sat down.

"Shhh...calm down everything will be okay" Brian whispered. I nodded but I still had trouble breathing. Now that he was close he could tell I was terrified. He placed a calming arm around me and pulled me into a hug.

"Nick take a deep breath for me okay?" He said rubbing my arms. I tried but only hiccups came out when I exhaled. I sounded like a woman in labor.

"Shh. Really Nick it's going to be okay. We are all here together" Now there was another looming figure standing over us. He looked like a monster ready to pounce. Not that I believed in monsters but still..

"Is he okay?" I knew it was Kevin.

"He will be fine. He's terrified" Kevin sat on the other side of me. Patting my back. I was feeling like a total loser now. Let's calm down the overly emotional thirteen year old because you know we have nothing else to worry about.

"I'm okay" I finally managed to squeeze out.

I was still breathing like an old man after climbing a mountain but just having the two of them next to me, helped to calm me down a little. Brian still had his arm wrapped firmly around my shivering shoulders while Kevin gently tapped my back.

"Sorry I screwed everything up" I said sounding a little more like myself now.

"Don't lil man. Get some sleep, Brian and I are here okay? Just try to relax" I placed the pillow down on the ground and fell onto it. Almost having my head in Kevin's lap. He just kept gently rubbing my back, trying to calm me down as I closed my eyes. They suddenly felt like ten ton weights.

Before sleep overtook me, the last thing I heard besides the damn owl hooting in the background, was Brian telling Kevin that I was just a scared kid. Maybe I was.
_