- Text Size +
12
for Daniela. Thanks for the constant feedback :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
I woke up cold, stiff and disoriented. I sat up expecting to see that maybe I had just fallen out of my bed at home. I did that from time to time. Brian laying off to my side made me realize that I was very far away from home. He was huddled in a ball next to me, arms wrapped around himself. I took my blanket and covered him up. It was my fault he was even sleeping on the floor in the first place.

I guess that once I had fallen asleep, Kevin made his way back to his cot because he was now sleeping soundly on the thing. His long legs dangling off the ends. The other two cots were occupied by Howie and AJ, who I guess didn't hesitate to take the cot that Brian had vacated.

I stood up and walked over to the door, still hugging my pillow as I did it. There had to be a way out of this place. Maybe they would be able to knock the door down. I felt like I needed to cry again but I refused to act like a baby any longer. I would have to suck it up like everybody else.

"What are you doing?" I turned to see AJ now standing right behind me, "Did someone try to get in or something?"

I shook my head at him.

"So, you freaked last night huh?" My eyes grew big and I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"I guess a little"

"That's not what Brian said" I looked over to the sleeping form of Brian still lying on the floor.

"What do you mean?"

"He woke me up last night and told me to take the cot because you had a major meltdown"

"It wasn't that bad" I said now getting a little defensive.

"Well Brian made it sound like you were friggin in hysterics or something"

"I need to go to the bathroom" I announced and ran in there leaving AJ probably wondering what my problem was. I didn't care, I needed to get the hell out of there before I died of embarrassment.

How could Brian say that? Why would he say that? I must have sat in the bathroom for about 30 minutes not wanting to come out and face these guys. I considered Brian my friend but all I was to him was some stupid nuisance of a kid. God I'm so dumb. I said wiping away tears. Stop crying!! I threatened myself.

I needed to pull myself together, if for no other reason then for my family. I had to be strong, I was the oldest. I needed to get through this. I splashed some very cold water on my face, because the hot water was non existent and made my way back out into the cabin.

By the time I came out, Kevin was up and rummaging through the cabinets, my guess is he was searching for a way to get us out of there. AJ was sitting on the bench at the table eating some bread slathered in peanut butter. I didn't even want to say anything to Kevin because he probably thought I was a sissy or something. So, I quietly sat next to AJ and grabbed a slice of bread, rolled it into a ball and ate it.

Kevin crawled out from the cabinet under the sink and smiled at me. I smiled back and went on tapping my fingers against the table.

"You guys hungry?" He asked now grabbing some eggs out of the refrigerator.

"Starving" J answered. I only kept my head down. I felt like such a fool.

"What about you lil man?" I shrugged.

"Okay then, I'll make us some eggs. Why not they will only go bad if we keep them too long right?" I shrugged again.

"You're a man of very few words aren't you?" I shrugged again.

"Oh please, Nick talks through his ass most of the time, you just barely know him Kevin. Be happy"

Brian stood up and I suddenly found myself once again wanting to make a beeline for the bathroom. Lock myself in there until this whole ordeal was over. He yawned and made his way over, sitting right next to me and putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Morning guys"

"Morning"

"You feeling better today?" Great just what I needed. Sympathy. He probably asked more for AJ's benefit then mine. Let me show AJ how pathetic you really were.

"Yeah, I'm good" I said moving away from him and back over to my position on the floor.

"He's a moody little thing" AJ said sticking his tongue out at me.

Suddenly a huge banging at the door made me jump and Howie fall off his cot. Kevin quickly walked towards the door holding a frying pan in his hand and motioned for us all to get behind him. Another bang followed by what sounded like scratching was heard.

"Kevin what the hell is that?" Howie asked. You know not only was Kevin supposed to know exactly what to do in this situation but he was also supposed to be psychic.

The sound was intense, no mistaking, it was a growl. And whatever owned that growl was huge. We heard it clanking the lock that was on the door. It actually sounded like three locks. No one said a thing. I think we were all afraid to even breath.

Eventually it stopped. But we all still stood stock still. Kevin still holding that damn frying pan in his hand.

"Okay, I think it's gone" He whispered finally putting the pan down at his side. We all walked over to the table and sat back down, suddenly none of us in the mood to eat anything.

"We have to get out of here" Brian said as if we were just there on our own free will. I wanted to say DUH! But I figured I'd just stay quiet.

The sound of more banging on the door had us all jump in our seats again. But this time there was more. The sounds of locks being opened. It was loud. We were all standing once again. Not sure what the heck to expect next.

Suddenly all the ruckus stopped dead. We all slowly made our way over to the door as it burst open.

"Hi Boys!! Did you miss me?"