- Text Size +
22
I didn't know what to do. I just stood frozen in the rain looking at the mouth of the cave hoping I would see Kevin resurface, uneaten. But ready to run just incase. I wanted to yell his name but I was afraid if whatever was in there had heard a voice it would have charged at me. I was in no shape to run away from a man eating anything. Not even a flower eating anything. I started to cry, poor Kevin, I can't just leave him in there. I have to help. I started to walk slowly and methodically towards the cave.

"Nick!" I stopped again. Kevin yelled my name. He was alive..or..it was a trick. God Carter stop with the over active imagination. That was definitely Kevin's voice you heard. now go help him.

"Hang on, I'm coming Kevin!" I screamed picking up a twig of my own and charging back into the cave.

I never hesitated, just charged right in growling, hoping to scare away whatever it was that had Kevin in it's clutches. I ran into the darkness, towards the beam of light I saw up ahead. Light? That made me stop and say Kevin's name.

"Kev?"

I heard the muffled voices of people. And laughing? Kevin would definitely not be laughing if he was being eaten by a talking bear. Gotta love where the mind goes in times of crisis. I took a few steps closer and said his name again, "Kevin?"

"Nick! Get the hell in here!" Confident there was no apparent danger, I walked towards the light, tripping and falling on my face on the way. I guess the sound of my fall FINALLY brought him out of his hiding spot to help me. He picked me up to my feet, grabbed my arm and eased me down a small drop to where there was a fire waiting. Kevin was sitting warming his hands by the flame.

Wait a minute...if Kevin was warming his hands..."AHHH!" I screamed backing away from whatever it was that had a hold on my arm. He put his hand on my mouth "God will you shut the hell up Nick" The voice made me instantly calm down. The voice of Brian. Once he noticed I recognized him, he moved his hand away and went to sit next to Kevin. "I can't believe this!" I said angrily. Yes, I was angry. I was mad at Kevin for letting me think he was being eaten by a wild boar or something.

"I know, isn't it great?"

"Why didn't you tell me it was Brian? I thought you were in danger"

"You tore ass out of here so fast, I didn't have time to. Oh yeah and thanks for sticking around to help me by the way, I appreciate it" Brian laughed. He motioned for me to sit next to him which I gladly did, "Oh well how many times do you expect me to save YOUR butt anyway?" I cockily asked Kevin. Brian looked with amusement at his cousin, it was nice to be relaxed even if it only lasted for a little bit. And it was even better then that to be out of the cold wet rain and next to a fire.

"How the heck did you start this fire B?"

"I got skills"

"Where's AJ and Howie?" That's when the mood changed. "After we left you guys, we headed towards what we thought was the road only to run into Jim. He saw us so we decided to split up. I ran this way and they ran the other, unfortunately for them, he chased the two of them. I think he told Jeremy to come and get me, but I haven't seen him yet. I ran a little bit of a ways and that's when I found this cave"

"Jeremy was incapacitated" Kevin said before he could speak anymore on it, I interrupted him, "Yup. I had to take care of him too" I placed my hands over the fire. I didn't realize how badly I was shivering. Brian noticed my shaky hands and took off his light gray jacket and placed it around my arms. "Thanks but you can keep it on"

"Nah that's okay, I'm pretty warm now"

"So, what do you mean Jeremy is incapacitated Kev?"

"Long story...anyway, we saw Jim too so we ran behind the cabin. That means that he didn't get to Howie and AJ"

"Well, that's good at least. I hope they stayed dry" I said pulling Brian's jacket closer to me. My hopes kind of sank a little. I had really been hoping in the back of my mind that the three of them had managed to make it back to the main road and get help. Since they didn't that only meant that this wasn't over yet and that we would indeed be stuck spending the night in this cave.

"Did you check this place for bears?"

Kevin laughed, "This kid is obsessed with bears" Brian laughed again, I bet he was happy as hell to see us. I can only imagine how scary this was alone. I was grateful I had Kevin with me although he did tend to drive me crazy.

"Nick, I promise you this cave is bear free, maybe some bats hanging around but bears nope"

"What if they get cold and wet?"

"Nick! How about we'll worry about that when it happens?"

"But..."

"Nick" Kevin raised one of his eyebrows at me, that meant stop talking now. So I did. I sat and leaned my back against the smooth cave wall and closed my eyes. If this had been any other circumstance, I would have really loved being in this thing. When I was little I used to aspire to live in a cave. I wanted my mansion to be a huge cave complete with dinosaurs and cavemen. I blame that stupid Land of the Lost show. For a year solid I pretended I was Will and made BJ be Holly. I suddenly started to sing the theme song, out of the blue..

The Land of the Lost Lost Lost Lost Lost....I opened my eyes and saw both cousins look at me like I was insane but then they both cracked up.

"What was that monkey man's name?" Brian asked me, I shrugged, I didn't remember.

"Chewbacca?"

"No Kev, that was Star Wars, was it Blip?"

"Nope I think that was the Wonder Twins"

"It doesn't matter they didn't live in a cave anyway" Kevin said disgusted, "Yes they did too" I argued.

"No they didn't Nick, they lived up in a tree or something, how can they live in a cave where the dinosaurs could eat them anyway?" UGH!! I hated when Kevin was right. I felt like he always felt the need to prove me wrong. It was so annoying.

"Chaka!!" Brian screamed, I placed a hand over his mouth. He giggled, why we were all so slap happy I had no idea, maybe it was just the thought of being free or dry that did it.

"It was Chaka, see that's close to Chewbacca" I rolled my eyes at Kevin again. Something that I perfected as the years rolled along.

"Hey Brian, did you happen to find any food in here?" I had forgotten how ravenously hungry I was. "I'm afraid not buddy, but there is some bat poop"

"That's disgusting Brian"

"Yeah it is Kev, but if that's the only thing that's available, I say go for it. It tastes pretty good"

"Oh ick! Brian please tell me you didn't eat bat poop?" I was disgusted ready to vomit up the contents of my empty stomach. He laughed, "No, but I would have loved to see one of you do it"

"Sorry B, I am smarter then that, you're cousin however...."

"Hey!" Kevin said lightly smacking the back of my head. I winced. It shouldn't have hurt but the headache I had plus the overall soreness I was feeling really did make everything throb suddenly.

"I'm sorry little buddy" He gently tousled my hair, "What am I Gilligan now?" I asked but I couldn't hide the tired, and dizzy feelings I was experiencing, plus the hunger. Brian saw me swaying where I sat, "Hey buddy, maybe you should try to get some sleep"

"No way, I'm not sleeping in here"

"It's all going to be okay Nick, we are here"

"Like you are going to be able to fend off a bear"

"Nah, but while he's gnawing on Kevin, we'll make our getaway"

"Oh very nice. I feel so loved" Kevin's personality was so different when he was with his cousin. It's like I got to see what the normal Kevin must have been like. I wish he would act like that all the time.

Kevin pat his leg, "Come on lil man, you can use my leg as a pillow" I laughed at him, "That is so gay Kev"

He laughed, "Must you make everything difficult?"

"But what if I fall asleep? Won't I die or something?" I remembered that if I had a concussion, I probably shouldn't sleep"

"Don't worry Nick. We'll wake you up from time to time, now go ahead and rest. You are tired and need the sleep" I decided not to argue anymore. My eyes felt so heavy. I leaned down and rested my head on Kevin's leg. He answered by placing his arm around me, "We should huddle guys because it's going to be a cold night"

Brian made his way next to me and laid against my side. We must have looked like a litter of kittens the way we were all scrunched together.

I instantly felt warm but more importantly I felt safe. I felt Brian move off of me once he thought I was asleep. I kept my eyes closed, at the moment I doubt I could have opened them anyway.

"I think I should go look for Howie and AJ" Kevin said his voice changing from light and happy to dead serious.

"No Kev, it's not a good idea. It's still raining and dark outside. Besides I don't like the thought of you going out there alone" Brian whispered.

"I don't know Bri, I don't like this, he still needs to get to a doctor"

"He will be fine, the kid is exhausted"

"And the cave, is it safe?" I almost popped my eyes wide open at that one. Why would Kevin think this cave wasn't safe when not less then five minutes before he was saying I was being stupid for thinking such silly things.

"I'm glad he's asleep, he needed it. Poor guy has been through hell" I felt one of them place the jacket over me covering me up to my shoulders. "We all have"

Then it dawned on me that the only reason they were joking around was for ME. They wanted to keep ME calm. In all honesty they were as scared as I was. "Well, maybe you should get some sleep Brian, I'll stay up and keep watch"

"No way Kevin, let's take shifts"

"Okay fine. Give me the first shift, you sleep"

"Okay and Kevin for the love of God, please don't leave to find Howie and AJ. I now you're worried about them, but getting yourself lost in the woods won't help"

"I know, I'm just tired of feeling useless. I can't seem to help at all"

"That's not true Kev, don't beat yourself up" I felt Kevin cling onto my arm as he talked, "I should have been able to prevent this whole mess B"

"How?"

"Well, by not letting Jim beat the crap out of this one for starters" I knew he was talking about me, but how in the heck could he feel guilty about that.

"Oh come on Kev, none of us knew"

"I know...but if I was more approachable, he would have told me"

"Not true man, he didn't tell me either and he likes me"

Kevin laughed, I was glad, I felt bad for causing him so much pain. Poor guy and here I was ready to let a bear eat him.

I felt the need to show him I cared without actually confessing to being awake so I hugged his leg, "I love you Kev" I said under my breath.

I felt him hug my arm tighter, "You too lil man"

"Aw that was precious"

"Okay Brian, get some sleep" I felt Brian's warmth on my side once again and this time I really did fall asleep...