- Text Size +
My little temper tantrum was interrupted by my roommate. He came in before I had the chance to pull myself together.

"What the hell are you screaming about?" He asked as he walked into the room. He stopped halfway between me and the door, stopped and stared.

"Christ..Nick, what happened in here?" I sat up and wiped my tears away.

"Nothing. It's okay just go away!"

"Did you do this?" He asked now walking around the room surveying any damage I might have done.

"Yeah..I did, look can you just leave me alone please?" I choked back tears. There was no way in hell I was crying in front of Kevin. No freaking way.

"Why the hell would you do something like this?" He asked, the level of his voice raising with every question.

"It's none of your business"

"I believe it is"

"Just leave me the hell alone" I said getting up and preparing to lock myself in the bathroom.

He grabbed my arm and turned my hand around, "What did you do to yourself?"

"I punched the wall"

"Jesus Christ just what I didn't want to deal with today" He said as he pulled me along to the bathroom. He turned the light on, made me sit on the toilet and hold out my hand to him so he could get a better look.

"What the hell were you thinking? Oh never mind I take that back..you weren't thinking at all were you?" He said taking a wash cloth and gently washing away the blood that formed around my knuckles. It was a little strange actually how his actions didn't match the furious tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry" I decided why not just apologize. It seemed like the politically correct thing to do.

"Why did you do this?"

"Ouch" I said as he poured some peroxide on my cut.

"I was mad"

"At us?" He asked looking up at me, the way he was crouched down on his knees made him look smaller than me.

"NO, not at you...well..maybe a little" He shook his head.

"Nick, why didn't you just come and talk to us?"

"Why? What good would that have done?"

"It would have saved you this.." He said holding up my hand, "and saved us the trouble of explaining why Lou is being billed for room damage"

"I said I was sorry" I felt a tear fall down my cheek as they flushed with embarrassment. Kevin pretended not to notice I was crying.

"Okay, well we'll talk about this more in the morning. You need to go to bed" I walked out of the bathroom and he followed.

"I'm not even tired yet Kev"

"You probably are a little more tired than you think kiddo. Play some of your video games and you'll fall asleep" I was just about to explain to him that I couldn't play a game that was stolen from me, but why bother? So I just nodded.

"Are you coming back in soon?"

"Most likely. I just wanted to check up on you, I'm glad I did" He went over to my bed and pulled the covers down. They really did think they were baby sitting.

"I can do that myself you know"

"I know" He stood there and watched as I climbed into bed then shut the light off and left the room.

I laid there in the dark listening to them laughing in the next room. Why was I such a misfit that they didn't even want to be in the same room with me? AM I that bad?

"No! No way! That's it!" I said as I got out of bed, put on my sneakers and left my room.

I went right next door and knocked. The laughter temporarily died down just long enough for AJ to ask who it was.

"Me"

"It's the runt" He announced. Then he opened the door.

"Hi" I said as a silence overtook the room. A movie was nervously turned off. AJ shaking his head about it. My guess was it was a porno flick.

"What do you need little man?" Kevin asked. I hated when he called me that.

"Nothing. I wanted to come and hang out. It's too early to go to bed and I'm bored"

"Why? get tired of destroying your room Rocky?" God I hated AJ sometimes.

"Leave him alone" Brian ordered. He pat the bed next to him, so I promptly jumped next to him making him laugh.

I could tell that I had interrupted something, the conversation suddenly became far and in between.

"So, what were guys doing?" I asked still bouncing on the bed. Brian took my lead and began bouncing as well.

"Just hanging out" Howie said.

"Cool, well commence hanging" They all cracked up.

"Uh..nice jammies twerp" AJ said. I looked down to realize I WAS wearing pajama bottoms. Nothing big like Ninja turtles or anything, but pajamas just the same.

"You know, you are a twerp too" Brian said. Suddenly Brian was on my side. I loved it.

"Yeah" I agreed.

"Whatever. Even if they can call me a twerp, which they WON'T" He said giving all the guys a look, "You will always be twerpier than me"

"Twerpier?" Kevin asked sipping his beer.

"Yeah, got a problem with that?"

I yawned. I couldn't believe I was just about falling asleep now that I was in here trying to prove a point to these guys that I was not a kid.

"Tired?" Brian asked me through a smile.

"A little" But I refused to fall asleep. I just sat and listened to the guys talk about girls, success and sex.

"What should we do with him?" AJ asked.

"Just cover him up, he can sleep in here. I'll take his bed Kev" I heard Brian say.

I felt someone cover me with a blanket. Guess I was more tired than I thought.

"Great, I have to sleep with restless boy?"

"Oh stop complaining AJ. You sound like a girl" I felt a plop on the bed, "If you fart in here I will kill you" He threatened me. I pretended not to hear.

The lights were turned off and I fell happily asleep...