- Text Size +
I woke up completely disoriented. I felt a pair of cold feet touch my leg so naturally I jumped. Why was someone sleeping in my bed with me? When I jumped, AJ grumbled and rolled over, stealing the covers away from me. Knowing that meant I would never be warm again, I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I was stiff and achy.

My shoulder really hurt from when Jim pushed me yesterday and sure enough when I went to go check it out, there was a huge bruise laying right at the base of my neck and up my shoulder blade. I don't know why, but once I saw it, it hurt even more. I decided to go get some ice, so I left, bucket in hand and no shoes on my feet, to go get some.

I got to the ice machine and of all the people in the world, who was there?

"Well, look who is up early this morning" Jim said filling up his own ice bucket. He was wearing a velvet robe and fluffy slippers. He kind of looked like he belonged in the Godfather. Of course, the cigar hanging from his mouth only strengthened that mental picture.

"Yeah" is all I said as I hopped from foot to foot trying to warm myself up. He laughed.

"Awe what's the matter, is Nicky cold? Put some damn shoes on your feet then" He grunted then purposely through a bunch of ice on the floor so it would land on my feet. I yelped, then jumped out of the way. He immediately grabbed my mouth in his huge hand.

"Quiet! You want to wake up the whole damn hotel?" The sound of an opening door made him quickly pull away from me, "You should put some shoes on those feet kid" He said as a couple walked past us. As he walked away, he laughed at them and said, "Kids"

They nodded in agreement and gave me a wink. I quickly filled my bucket and went back inside. By the time I was up, so was Howie. Just going to the bathroom of course, but that only meant that now I had to explain why I wasn't inside like I was supposed to be. I put the bucket down on the dresser and clicked on the television. Once I heard the toilet flush I looked over at the door and smiled.

"Oh no way Nicky, it's too early. Turn that thing off and go back to sleep"

"I can't AJ's hogging all the covers and look at him" Howie turned to look at his friend and couldn't help but laugh at what he saw. There was J sound asleep sprawled out completely spread eagle. Snoring with his mouth open.

"Okay maybe so, but I am still tired. So please keep the volume down okay?"

"Kay"

"Thanks"

Once he was down for the count, I took my bucket which was semi melted and proceeded to ice my shoulder using a towel. I couldn't believe how big the bruise was. Jim terrified me, simple as that. He was a mean guy who got a hard on picking on kids I guess. I shuddered to think that maybe there were kids that actually had to call him dad. No way, who would marry that guy? Let alone sleep with him. Ick!

My father would never let something like this happen to me. I let out a heavy sigh just at the mere thought of my dad. I missed him so much. I wonder what they are doing right now? Duh Nick, they are probably sleeping. Just like you should be at 6am. But it wasn't 6 there, it was 9 so maybe they were awake. Thoughts of once again calling home flooded my mind. Calling home and telling my Dad about how badly Jim treats me.

Jim wasn't quite so bad while Mom was with us. I knew she couldn't stay forever though. She had to leave to go do things Mother's should do. You know, like spending time with her normal children. Leaving me to fend for myself. "You will be fine honey. Kevin said he would look out for you and so did Mr. Pearlman, I trust them completely" When my Mom wasn't around usually AJ's was but for some reason she couldn't make this trip to California either, so the kids were parentless. I bet that thought also made Jim horny. What a creep.

"Uh..did you fall in or something twerp?" I rolled my eyes at the door.

"Hang on, I'll be out in a second"

"You've been in there for an hour"

"Have not"

"Have so" He said banging on the door.

"God AJ, you are going to wake up the dead"

"Then you better let me the hell in" I put my shirt back on, dumped the ice into the sink and opened the door.

"It's about freakin time" He said pushing me out of the way.

"What were you doing in there?" Howie asked me as I made my way back over to the bed. Now that J was in the bathroom, I was able to reclaim my spot.

"Nothing...just stuff"

"He was probably jerking off" AJ said climbing back into bed and once again pulling the covers away from me.

"What was with the ice?" He asked me once Howie was sleeping once again.

"My shoulder hurts" I said.

"Oh, why is that? Did I punch you in the middle of the night?"

"Yeah probably"

"Good served you right" He said rolling onto his side. I laughed.

I'm not sure how much longer we slept but we were woken up by Brian bouncing on the bed.

"Rok I swear I'm going to kill your ass" AJ threatened him. I tried to ignore him completely.

"Wakey wakey people!"

"No!"

"Come on, Nick..Kevin wants to see you now!"

"Ooooohhhh" AJ mocked, "Someone's getting a spanking"

"Shut up AJ" I said as I forced myself to get up.

The second I was out of bed, Brian claimed my spot and pushed AJ completely to the floor. "Ha!" I said before running for my life into mine and Kevin's room.

My celebratory mood changed swiftly when I was met with the site of a somber Kevin sitting at the small table. He looked to be in full on lecture mode.

Fantastic.

"Uh..hi Kev, Brian said you wanted to see me or something?"

"Yeah, I wanted you to be in here when Jim got here. It's not fair that I should be the one to get yelled at"

"Jim? Why did you call Jim? Why not Lou?"

"Because Lou made it clear that when he isn't here, Jim is in charge"

"God, no you can't tell Jim about this" I said. Sounding even more urgent then I felt. I think my reaction was making Kevin nervous.

"I have to Nick, he will see the charge on the bill and then it would be even worse"

"NO, you don't understand. He will be so mad" My voice cracked.

"Who could blame him? I would be too"

"NO, you don't understand..please Kevin, just call him and tell him to forget about it. Please?"

"Nick, he's not going to kick you out of the band or anything. Relax.."

"God, no please Kevin.."

There was a knock on the door and I flinched. Kevin gave me an odd look.

"What did you need to see me about?" Jim said walking into the room, he winked at me.

"Good morning Nick"

"Morning" I said looking down at the ground.

"This" Kevin said showing Jim the damage to the wall. It was a small hole but a hole nevertheless.

Jim lost his cool.

"How the hell did that happen?" He shouted with so much animosity in his voice, both of us jumped. I don't think Kevin was expecting that reaction.

"Well? Don't just stand there like an idiot, how the fuck did that happen?" My eyes were big as saucers. I couldn't catch my breath. I don't think Kevin had ever seen me that panicked in his life because..

"I did it" He said. Jim turned away from me and focused his full attention on Kevin.

"You did this?" He asked. Sensing the anger in the older man's voice, Kevin began to back away from him.

"Yeah..uh..I was drinking a few too many beers last night and I accidentally hit the wall. I am really sorry"

"Sorry?" He said walking towards Kevin.

"Sorry doesn't cut it kid" He said and then he gave Kevin a shove.

"Relax man, I'll pay for it"

"Damn right you will pay for it" He said and once again he pushed Kevin back so now he was braced against the wall. Jim moved in so close to him that Kevin was forced to look to his side.

"You need to learn to respect other peoples property kid!" He said and then swiftly slapped Kevin in the face.

"Hey! He didn't do it I did!" I said more in a rage and an act of desperation then anything else.

"I knew it was you" He said now leaving Kevin and focusing his attention on me. Kevin moved away from the wall and wiped the blood away from the corner of his lip.

"It was an accident but leave Kevin alone he didn't do anything"

"He lied, that's something"

"Go away" I said. The big man picked me up by my arms and began to shake me.

"What did you say to me?"

"Let him go" Kevin said now making his way over to me and Jim. When Jim turned his way, Kevin flinched. "You stay out of this!" He said.

He was hurting me, really hurting my arms. They felt like they were on fire and my neck was hurting from being shaken as fiercely as I was.

"I'm sorry" I kept saying over and over again. He finally dropped me to the ground. I fell on my butt, full force wincing in pain as I did.

"You need to learn some manners kid" He said kicking me in the side. Kevin was once again up and ready to punch. Jim grabbed Kevin's fist in his hand, "Please, is that all you got kid?" He pushed Kevin and he landed on the floor pretty much next to me.

"Okay boys! No one needs to know what transpired here. This is our little secret you got it?" I immediately shook my head, my whole body shaking nervously. Kevin didn't say a thing. He looked like he was in shock. He moved closer to Kevin then, "You got it?" He said crouching down next to him.

"Believe me, you don't want to see what I can really do"

"Got it" Kev said in a defeated whisper.

"What did you say? I didn't quite hear that?"

"I said I got it" Jim stood up and smiled, "Good, then it is settled. The damage is coming out of both of your per diems" He said. I nodded and so did Kevin.

"Remember not a word" He smiled and then he left the room, leaving both Kevin and I in a state of total shock...