- Text Size +
7
We staggered down to the van all of us barely awake. Except for me, for some reason knowing you are being kidnapped by a strange guy who likes to beat up on you, has that kind of effect on somebody. Once again I toyed with the idea of warning the others in some way, maybe yelling for help. Anything.

"The kid rides in front with me" Jim said pulling me by the collar and throwing me into the van.

The rest of the guys moved in as Jim started the car. I had an idea. I knew it was out there but still I had to try.

"Jim, how come Dan isn't with us on this trip? I mean he always comes with us" Dan was our driver/babysitter/closest thing to a bodyguard we had. That really was one of the first things I thought about when I found out we were taking this trip.

"Yeah, that's a good question" Brian said while stretching and yawning from the way back seat.

"He had a death in the family. Seems like this trip was doomed from the start" He said laughing out loud. I wasn't ready to let it drop just yet.

"Who died?" I asked trying to sound innocent. He knew exactly what I was doing. I could tell by the way he glared at me.

"I think his uncle or something, Hell kid I don't know. We'll send him a card when we get back"

Before I had a chance to ask anymore questions, we were off. "You guys should try and get some sleep, it will be a long ride" He said.

He sounded innocent enough. The guys knew not to trust him and that was good, but if they only knew what was happening.

"That means you too little guy" He said to me, although when he spoke to me he growled the words.

I tightened my seatbelt suddenly uneasy at the thought of this erratic and scary man driving us anywhere this early in the morning and this nervous.

And he WAS nervous. There was no doubt in my mind. He was sweating like a pig.

We were on the road for about an hour by the time everyone fell asleep. I thought is was odd that no one even asked him any questions. That's how trained we had become. We just do whatever they say. Even Kevin, knowing how evil Jim was, didn't think this was anything more then a routine trip to do some press and recording. Maybe I would have thought the same thing.

Probably.

I just kind of stared forward instead of listening to a radio, the snores of my bandmates kept things off of my mind. At least I wasn't alone right? This would be so much scarier if I was alone.

"You still awake kid?" Jim asked looking at my expressionless face.

"Yeah"

"That was a mean thing you did back there" He said batting my head with his right hand.

"What thing?"

"Asking me all those questions. Very cute"

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him pulling my light jacket close to my face. I felt chilly and I couldn't seem to warm up.

"It's just business kid. Nothing personal"

"Why us?"

"Why not you? Right now you guys are the act that Lou thinks has the most potential. And you know why? Because of all the work that I put into you!"

I suddenly felt glad that he was in the music business instead of being a mailman or something. That could get ugly!

"But won't you go to prison?"

"I think it's time for you to shut up now kid" He said facing forward once again. He hadn't thought this through. He was biting his bottom lip as he drove and whenever he looked my way I pretended to be asleep.

I felt him stare at me from time to time but I kept my eyes closed. Then I felt his hand on my shoulder. I winced and he laughed. "Relax kid, God you are so tense" He said. I sat up straight and quickly looked behind me to see if any of the guys were awake. Just praying that maybe one of them was.

"They're all still sleeping. Looks like it's just you and me" He said when he saw me turn to see if anyone was awake. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably as his hand once again found it's way to my shoulder and then up my neck.

"Stop" I begged him. He didn't listen, he kept massaging my neck making me very uncomfortable.

"I said Stop!!" I yelled it this time.

"What's wrong?" Kevin asked. Quickly Jim took his hand away from me and placed it back on the steering wheel.

"Nick, what's the matter?" He asked again, this time leaning close enough that I could see his face.

"It's nothing, Nick needs to use the restroom, but we just passed the rest stop so you're gonna have to pee in the woods kid" He said. It was amazing how quickly he was able to come up with lies. I nodded. Happy to be able to get out of the car for a minute. Maybe I would get out and just run. I could help the guys if I did that. Run for help. They wouldn't be mad at me, they would know I was just trying to get help.

He pulled off the side of the road. I ran out of the car, I figured that would make him happy if he saw me acting. But when he got out of the car as well, that changed the whole dynamic of things.

"NO!" I said

"Relax kid I have to pee too" I wasn't having any of that. I ran back to the car and hit Kevin's window. He looked annoyed but he opened up the van door anyway.

"What?"

"I don't want to be alone with him" I said right in ear shot of Jim. It was a risky move but I didn't care. Kevin looked concerned and quickly got out of the car to join us. Jim did not look happy. Why did I have a feeling I would be paying for that later?

"Aw, hell I hate peeing in the woods, but now I have to go too. Thanks a lot Nick" AJ said hopping out of the van. Next thing you know everyone was out.

We all did our business in the woods. Jim making sure to stand right next to me. I refused to actually pee when I saw him staring down at me. No way, sorry creep. As we were walking back to the van, Jim pulled me aside, "You think you are real clever huh?"

"Something wrong?" Kevin asked. Jim let me go and I ran ahead.

"No, nothing I can't fix if given the opportunity" He said staring down Kevin.

"Leave him alone" I heard Kevin say. That made me feel safe. Followed by a, "Nick, I am going to sit in the front with Jim. I know how bad your stomach gets when you sit in front"

Thank God.

We piled back into the car, now that I was in the back I was able to relax a bit and surprising myself, I fell into a semi relaxed sleep...